• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

My new one!

OFxFf14.jpg

What is the right hand mirror mounted to? The 1971 /5 only had a left hand mirror I think. And no side panels. Very nice bike!

/5 Right Hand Mirror

I bought a ‘71 R50/5 in like new condition back in ‘85, it had 724 miles on the od. It only had the left mirror. The right handlebar had a place on the black brake lever mount to mount the right mirror. There was a clear little round plug that filled the threaded hole. My bike had USA bars. Somewhere along the line I ordered the short stem right mirror, and installed it. Saved the little plug, probably lost it years ago.

View attachment 80381View attachment 80382View attachment 80383

Last year R100RS. I am told that BMW only brought 60 into the U.S. in 1993.

The R100GSPD is a great all around machine and the same year as my R100RS!
Beautiful RS! I see you have the SuperTrap exhaust. I ran one on a 1986 Harley FXR for years and loved it. I used 21 baffles and open end cap. I ran a couple of S&S motors on that Harley, that would stretch your arms and blur your vision. But discovered I could go faster OR farther, but not faster AND farther. So I canned the S&S motors and went back to a crate motor for another 50,000 miles before selling the bike.

Never modified exhaust on an Airhead though, I like the OEM muffler sound. But imagine a Super Trap, properly tuned, would wake any Airhead up a bit.

old friend

Hi Louise , arnt you an old friend of Klaus Heronmus ? sorry not sure of the spelling, if so how is he please send my fond regards Jimmy Armour ex BMW CLUB OF ONTARIO 45 ,

Last edited:
old timers

Hello, even i,m starting to get confused !! , just wondering about an old friend ,but no twin brothers im afraid at least not that I can remember merry christmas to all and a good and healthy new year to us all bye Jimmy:scratch

'84 r100rs

New paint, stripes, and badges. A little powder coating here and there as well. I guess I'll keep it. :p

Attachments

• RS .jpg
    RS .jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 406
  • RS 2.jpg
    RS 2.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 402
  • RS rear cowl.jpg
    RS rear cowl.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 401
1973 r60/5

thought i would post a pic. its still a work in progress. Dont mind the seat i am not done with it yet. it was a seat pan from a /6 that i bought on ebay and cut it short to make a solo seat.

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_175500_3.jpg
    IMG_20201014_175500_3.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 370
Here is a better shot of the DIY solo seat.
His roommate is a 1976 Honda CB550.

Attachments

• IMG_20201008_173503.jpg
    IMG_20201008_173503.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 366
  • DSCF7941 (2).jpg
    DSCF7941 (2).jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 364
1977 r100s

I'm getting my first and new to me airhead. I was just calling around, a couple of weeks ago, looking for one and I got lucky. I found somebody who has an R100S just sitting in his garage but needed some TLC. We agreed on a price and now the bike is being checked by a BMW tech. He will be rebuilding the master cylinder and testing the brakes, draining and replacing all the fluids, cleaning the carbs, checking compression, etc. The tank is clean and has no rust. Here are some pics of the bike, or pieces of the bike. I'm hoping to pick it up this weekend if it's ready.

I just want to get it running. I know there is more work to get done. I'll speak with the tech to get his opinion on what else it needs. It definitely needs a good cleaning and maybe, new tires. It has Metzlers right now. Can anybody tell me the size for both the front and the rear tire for this model? Do I stick with Metzlers or get another brand?

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Back