Page 171 of 187 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171 172 173 181 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 2792

Thread: Post a pic of your airhead

Bob T
    Yes - It's a Parabellum Scout

My '83 R65

I've been looking for a Beemer for over a year (wanted one for over 45). I picked this one up about 3 weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

James.A
    There's a lot to like about that one. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by grover1949 View Post
    I've been looking for a Beemer for over a year (wanted one for over 45). I picked this one up about 3 weeks ago.
    clean! welcome to the club
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Here's a picture of my 1988 R100RT which I bought two and a half months ago. Of course, I took off the RT fairing. Not my style, though I know a lot of people think this is sacrilege. It was a mess when I got it. I spent hours with a toothbrush and degreaser getting the crud off. Replaced the fork seals and put on gaiters. The cylinder bases were resealed before I got it. I inspected the engine with the jugs off and everything looked good inside. I made a nifty mod with an ignition switch ring from an R65. Also did some wiring work to clean up after the fairing removal. And put on new Michelin Pilot Activs. And some wide, low bars. I have the hardware ($$$) to return the headlight mounts and front turn signals to stock. Will get around to installing those eventually. I'd like to do a complete rebuild, but money is a bit tight right now.

The bike runs and handles perfectly. I just love it. It's my fifth BMW airhead, but the first one in many, many years. I also have a 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo, which is a fantastic bike in its own right. But I think if I could only have one motorcycle, of the two I'd keep the Beemer.

-Henry
    Attached Images Attached Images

James.A
    That ignition switch re-location is a high-value procedure. There is no small demand for the kind of build-down you have done here.

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    That ignition switch re-location is a high-value procedure. There is no small demand for the kind of build-down you have done here.
    Thanks for the note. In case this can be of use to anyone else, here are some details.

The part you want is from an older R65. It's "plate," 61 32 1 243 656. The ignition switch in the standard bikes mounts into the dashboard ("hub cap," they call it) in a different way than the fairing mount switch from the RT. You have to remove some material from the dashboard to create a recess for the switch plate to fit flush. I used a Dremel sanding drum; it took five minutes and was easy to do. Then I epoxied the plate to the "hub cap" using J-B Weld. The result is plenty strong and looks like it could be stock.

The wiring was a bit more complicated. I didn't want to cut the connector off the wiring harness because new harnesses are no longer available from BMW. So I pulled all the pins out of the connector and pushed the end of the wiring harness through the rubber boot on the bottom of the headlight shell. It's a tight fit. Then I reassembled the connector.

I made what I call an "adapter harness" by cutting down the original RT upper fairing harness. I brought out separate leads for the left and right turn signals and terminated the ignition and instrument lighting wires in a nine-pin Molex connector. I soldered wires directly to the ignition switch and brought these down and into the headlight shell as well. A matching Molex connector on the ignition switch harness plugs into my adapter harness. Everything is sheathed in heat-shrink tubing.

Right now I don't have a clock and voltmeter, but if I add them in the future I can just plug extra pins into the ignition switch connector and bring the wires out.

The adapter harness has the advantage of keeping the main harness stock, at the expense of adding another set of contacts. But it's in a dry location and I haven't had any reliability issues.

The temporary turn signal assembly is a half-inch piece of brass tubing, covered in heat-shrink. I hot-melt glued some generic turn signals into the ends and tie wrapped the thing to the forks as you can see. Ugly, but effective. The signals I used have smaller bulbs in them than stock, which made the flashers blink too fast. I bought an LED compatible flasher relay at AutoZone. It was much cheaper than the BMW unit, plugged right in, and works fine.

-Henry

89 r100gs

Alan,,
    Dallas Texas
    74 R90S, 76 R90S, 95 R100GSPD, 08 R1200GSA

Sweeeet GS
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

1977 r100s

The bike just arrived from Michigan. I bought it from my cousin, it has been in storage in his garage for 25 years. Will begin getting it road worthy immediately, and am hoping the restoration will be relatively painless. Have always wanted an airhead, more specifically an S, even more specifically my cousins S. Cosmetically it is nearly perfect, I'm loving it!

Last edited by mikeyork5; 06-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyork5 View Post
    The bike just arrived from Michigan. I bought it from my cousin, it has been in storage in his garage for 25 years.
    amazing!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

stunning!

Blue Ridge Parkway

2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

Bluehole, you know how to live.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"