Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust pipe replacement

Cool Exhaust pipe replacement

My new to me 1974 R90/6 has what looks like the original exhaust system. (50,000 miles) The mufflers look great, but the exhaust pipes look somewhat worn.
    -If I replace them with stock ones can I keep them from turning blue? I replaced the exhaust pipes on my 1973 Triumph and my mechanic sprayed the inside of them with some kind of coating and they did not turn blue.
    -What about stanless steal? Will they look the same as my mufflers or will they have a different finish?
    -Do SS pipes turn blue.
    -Are blue pipes just part of being cool and I will be considered a rookie airhead if I don't have blue pipes and I will have to live in shame?

Pohbah
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

No.
    Yes.
    Sometimes.
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Now be quiet, go to the garage, get the scooter out, and go for a ride...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Yarddog
    What's wrong with blue pipes? It's the beauty of the beast! If you want them not to turn AS blue, try coating the insides of the pipes with high heat paint...I've used House of Kolor High Temp Black, VERY high priced stuff, they still turned blue

advrider.com
    I am reminded of this funny head explosion. There is some good information in that thread, though... between all the deleted/edited parts.

The consensus is that blue single-wall pipes are natural, but if you want to cover 'em up, use Jet Hot, or something similar.

I've recently read something interesting, though. Almost every account I've heard about blue pipes is that it's an indication of running rich.. but a couple guys are now saying the opposite. Who knows for sure?

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    I am reminded of this funny head explosion. There is some good information in that thread, though.

The consensus is that blue single-wall pipes are natural, but if you want to cover 'em up, use Jet Hot, or something similar.

I've recently read something interesting, though. Almost every account I've heard about blue pipes is that it's an indication of running rich.. but a couple guys are now saying the opposite. Who knows for sure?
    i know on inline four jap bikes a lean cylinder will be indicated by a blue(r) pipe.

Blueing will happen with single wall header construction. The trade-off is no rattling exhaust. I agree...Blueing is worn and accepted as a badge of honor - it's an accepted characteristic of our bikes. When I see a BMW without blue pipes I often wonder if it runs. I have Keihan SS on my 650 (now). The SS will turn a slightly golden color in the header pipes and decrease in hue as you move along the header to the muffler as the exhaust cools.

Whatever you do - Don't attempt to have your headers rechromed. How do I know this?? Here's the result of a failed rechrome experiment....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 30064; 10-31-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Mike V. / San Diego
    MOA#30064 / ABC#11027
    78 R100/7 [orig. owner] / 81 R65 [restored]
    ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO / http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs

Here's a picture of the replacement Keihan Stainless Steel system after break-in of the restoration. Excellent fitment and quality, yet a bit pricey.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike V. / San Diego
    MOA#30064 / ABC#11027

rocketman
    My Honda IT700v (don't laugh) came with SS pipes and when they got hit with water on a hard rainy ride kinda day after they had gotten hot from the first half day's non-rainy riding now sport an interesting array of dark sploches which have been reported to be typical of SS pipes/headers so....

Any pipe will turn color I imagine, right at the head in the cruved section don't think I've ever seen an airhead that wasn't (other than ones that are rarely ridden). Wouldn't worry about it myself.

RM

+1 on Rocketman's reply. The option with SS is they can be polished and buffed out without destruction if you're so inclined or overly concerned with appearance...I'm told. The current appearance of the 650 headers aren't as nice now with several hundreds of miles. I have cleaned them up with SemiChrome polish and doubt they will ever look as they once did. I invested in SS for their durability and non-rust characteristics.
    Mike V. / San Diego
    MOA#30064 / ABC#11027

Bill Burke
    If you like the concept of "that'll buff out", go with SS. Because it will. When chrome is shot, acid stained, pillion boot melt blobbed, etc. it tends to be scarred for life.

+1 on the Keihans. They are pricey though. I went with them since they were one of the few makers of stainless for monoshock bikes. It seems like there are more and somewhat cheaper options for earlier bikes.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Considering a clean set sold for $135 you want to investigate replacing yours.
    In the end you'll probably spend less $$$
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/18111340834vg.html
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Talking

Buy new exhaust
    Put bike in living room
    Never start it

Pipes will never turn blue!!!

Just ride it like you stole it!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

I was a bit disappointed with Keihan headers.

Installing them ended my ability to remove/replace the oil cooler thermostat on my '84 R100RS without removing the complete exhaust system each time I replaced the oil filter. The right-side header was indeed flattened for clearance, but it wasn't enough.

I would say that Keihan's crossover system is worlds better than BMW's, however. Just separate clamps rather than bosses welded to the pipe.

Wouldn't necessarily recommend against them, however. It's not that big of a deal to remove the complete system, and doing it at every oil change gives you the chance to keep the antiseize fresh. You can't be a gorilla with the M6 screws that mount the mufflers, of course.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

header pipes

Picture 1516.jpg
    Two header pipes. One is a rechromed Mac header pipe. The other is a new outa the box Keihen ss header pipe. Which is which?