Thread: 1978 R100/7 Cafe Swingarm License Plate Options

1978 R100/7 Cafe Swingarm License Plate Options

Hey gang, does anyone have a lead on some swingarm license plate mounts? My bike has the seat frame shortened so mounting anything off the tail is likely to hit the rear tire. I'm trying to alleviate having to order something online and have to send it back. If it had a brake or license plate lite that would be rad to. Thanks ya'll.

Could you take a picture or two and show us the configuration you have? It might help people come up with ideas.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Could you take a picture or two and show us the configuration you have? It might help people come up with ideas.
    I hope these help a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, what are the state-specific requirements for a license plate? I've seen so many fat rear tired Harley clones and/or crotch rockets with the license plate rotated 90 degrees off of one of the rear shocks.

Could you fashion something to pick up the holes in the upper shock mount, and have it rotated 90 degrees sticking behind the coils of the rear shock? It would need to be tucked pretty tight in order to help clear and keep your leg from begin sliced baloney.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

No regulations regarding license plates being rotated here in Oregon. I was thinking about the shock mounts as well. I'll keep on looking. Thanks

A welder/fabricator can make a mount coming off the shock mount and the axle bolt/washer. I've seen several license plates mounted this way on custom BMW airheads.

I'm not a big fan of side-mounted license plates; they usually end up along the road somewhere because there is so much vibration transmitted to the bracket it destroys them. That said, this is different...

license.jpg

Source: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...-build.899012/
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

The plate mounting shown looks cool.

But just to be a small wet blanket: mounting a plate that way is (legally-speaking) impermissible, at least in California.

Vehicle Code Sec. 5201 begins this way (emphasis added):

5201. (a) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to
    the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates
    from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly
    visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left
    to right
    , and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly
    legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12
    inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license
    plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground...

The plate shown also doesn't have the night-time illumination required by Section 24601.

I have no idea what other states' law may provide.

You could argue that the requirement is tacky or unnecessary, but it's in the Code, and this mount gives law enforcement a legal reason to pull you over, and, if they want, to cite the rider or issue a fix-it ticket.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

The plate shown also doesn't have the night-time illumination required by Section 24601.
    Actually, it does (and in a rather clever way, IMHO). But it is a moot point since we don't know where the OP resides. The builder of this bike states that New York does not stipulate the orientation of the license plates. Personally... I prefer the plate in its traditional location; on center-line, keeps things symmetric.

Just not like this.. ..

note trick header connection!

Lew Morris

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    But it is a moot point since we don't know where the OP resides.
    He says he's from Oregon.

No regulations regarding license plates being rotated here in Oregon.
    Time to google laws for Oregon!!

Well so he does! I still don't like side-mounted license plates.... .

Lew Morris

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    I still don't like side-mounted license plates.... .
    That makes two of us!

Illinois plate law

(b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for
    which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 12 inches from
    the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall
    be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility
    of the plate, including, but not limited to, glass covers and tinted plastic covers. Clear plastic covers are
    permissible as long as they remain clear and do not obstruct the visibility of the plates. Registration stickers
    issued as evidence of renewed annual registration shall be attached to registration plates as required by the
    Secretary of State, and be clearly visible at all times. [Oregon plate law],(c) The plates must be in plain view and
    so as to be read easily by the public. Looks like it might be up to the police.

Seen in Ft Davis last month...I saw no plate, nor tail light...could have been tucked way up and under, but

KIMG0896.jpg

KIMG0897.jpg
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait