Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NAPA Fuel Filter

NAPA Fuel Filter

I needed a fuel filter for my bike, the only one I can locate locally is from NAPA. It is an in-line 40 micron filter and seems to work well. Any feedback on using one of these vs. from a BMW shop is appreciated!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R

Although I have not used on on my airhead yet....Napa filters have always served me well on various other machines, cars and motorcycles over the years.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

My feedback is that the screens on the petcocks are all you need.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    My feedback is that the screens on the petcocks are all you need.
    Then we should still have just oil screens and not have evolved into filters!

Read Snowbum's recommendations on fuel filters here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/fuelfltrs&petcocks.htm
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Then we should still have just oil screens and not have evolved into filters!
    Lots of difference between gasoline and motor oil, especially once the oil has been run in an engine a big. Your logic isn't.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

For me, as long as it doesn't look terrible and will catch crud, what have you got to loose??????.............God bless......Dennis

Could there be particles of crud in fuel that are small enough to flow through a petcock screen, yet are too big to flow through a carburater jet?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

P Monk

are you sure you have petcock screens?

I didn't. I ordered some and if I ever need to remove the petcocks I will install them. In the meantime I like the filters I got from Bing. The Napa ones are at least 100% better than none at all.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Lots of difference between gasoline and motor oil, especially once the oil has been run in an engine a big. Your logic isn't.
    "in an engine a big. Your logic isn't" Where's Google translator when I need it?!

With regard to gasoline, do you know where and how it was stored before you bought it and are you 100% sure no dirt got in there? I've seen dirt in those see-through filters. So it must have been in my tank AND gotten past the petcock screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    "in an engine a big. Your logic isn't" Where's Google translator when I need it?!

With regard to gasoline, do you know where and how it was stored before you bought it and are you 100% sure no dirt got in there? I've seen dirt in those see-through filters. So it must have been in my tank AND gotten past the petcock screen.

I filled up with Sunoco in January and have not seen any dirt in the filter or carb bowls. I'm putting new filters in as part of replacing my fuel lines during my carb rebuild project.
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R

'92 R100GS '81 R100/t brittrunyon's Avatar
    Lowes Hardware
    $10
    Does it's job.
    No plugged jets, no crude in bowls for 30k miles.
    YMMV

photo _DSC2823_zps1505b8e8.jpg
    1992 R100 GS, 1981 R100/t, 2007 F 650 GS

Big Bend Ride video at http://brittrunyon.com/
    More riding videos @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333/videos

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Could there be particles of crud in fuel that are small enough to flow through a petcock screen, yet are too big to flow through a carburater jet?
    Yes! Use the fuel filters! For a buck or two every two years, well worth the money and frustration when the fuel bowl overflows because of a spec size piece of grit that got by the screens!

I got mine from the BMW dealer (huge parts service) up in New Hampshire. Sorry, I am having a brain freeze and just can't remember the shop's name. They are very popular, reasonable, and very reliable and advertize in the BMW news.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

There's one aspect to inline fuel filters that seems to be rarely discussed. And, that's the effect of inline filters on fuel flow. I used to run inline filters until I did a flow test. My results indicated about a drop in flow (it's been a while and I think it was about a 1/3 drop in flow, but my memory could be wrong), but still sufficient not to result in fuel starvation. The filters were new and not blocked. It was my decision to remove the inline filters due to the drop in flow, since I didn't want to take the risk of additional loss of fuel flow. I haven't had any additional problems using only the screens on the petcocks.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

After 45 years of riding airheads I can't say that I have ever had a serious carb problem attributed to the lack of an additional fuel filter.
    The screens work well.
    If it gives you peace of mind, then go ahead and install the inline filters.