Thread: Replacing the transmission rubber boot

Replacing the transmission rubber boot

I need to replace the rubber boot on the back of the transmission--the one underneath the clutch activator arm. In taking a quick look, it appears as though I need to move the swing are back in order to R&R the boot. Is it possible to replace the boot without moving the swing arm back? Granted it looks like a royal PITA to do it that way, but still may be preferred to moving the swing arm.

Before I forget--1988 R100 RT
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Just saw some discussion about this on a Vintage forum. I think the suggestions were:

- pull swingarm back (remove pins, brake rod, etc.)
    - move engine forward (might be issues with mufflers, crossovers, foot shifter)
    - rotate engine about the front mounts (same issues with mufflers and shifter)
    - try and slip it between the gap

It sure would be nice to be able to slip it through...some said they had done it. I'd like to have a spare boot on hand in case the first one tore. I'd remove the bolts from the output shaft, grab my favorite beverage, and then sit back and study the situation!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I assume you are talking about the driveshaft boot, not the clutch boot? It is not hard to move the swing arm back. Just remove the tire, the left and right side swing arm bolts. Drop the mufflers to give you some room, remove the shock bolt, tie the swing arm up, and slide it back. No need to do anything to the transmission, engine mounts, etc. Of course, the drive shaft bolts need to be removed, and it is recommended to replace those with new ones. Beware, they come in two sizes, one type takes a washer, the other doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    I assume you are talking about the driveshaft boot, not the clutch boot? It is not hard to move the swing arm back. Just remove the tire, the left and right side swing arm bolts. Drop the mufflers to give you some room, remove the shock bolt, tie the swing arm up, and slide it back. No need to do anything to the transmission, engine mounts, etc. Of course, the drive shaft bolts need to be removed, and it is recommended to replace those with new ones. Beware, they come in two sizes, one type takes a washer, the other doesn't.
    Actually, I was talking about the clutch boot.
    Jeff in W.C.

Disregard.

So you're talking about #5 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=21&fg=51

Should be easy. Let off the tension in the clutch cable. Rotate the clutch lever out of the way. Undo the clamp. Remove the clutch boot. Might be cramped quarters, but I would think it's easy to do.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Just did one recently. Removing the pivot screw isn't the worst thing you could do. You still have to deal with the spring under the boot. While you're at it, inspect, clean, and grease the throwout bearing before reassembly.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Jeff, Can you take a few pictures as you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by r80andr100rt View Post
    Jeff, Can you take a few pictures as you do this.
    I'll do my best. There's not much room in there and there's plenty of things blocking a good shot. When I installed the boot, I had the swing arm off doing other repairs. That being said, I'm busy this weekend, so I won't be out there scraping my knuckles and swearing. It does seem like it's possible to do without removing the swing arm, so next I need to psych myself up and convince myself it won't be that difficult working in the small space between the transmission and swing arm.
    Jeff in W.C.

Update. Life is not giving me much free time these days. I tried this weekend to remove the clutch activator arm, but it cannot be removed with the swing arm in place. I will have to remove the swing arm to get access. Real bummer.
    Jeff in W.C.