Thread: Metzeler Sportec Klassik??

IA.JEFF

Metzeler Sportec Klassik??

Does anyone have any experience or know where I might find some reviews on these newer style of Metzeler tire? Have ran Marathons forever and they apparently are not making the rear ME88 anymore. These sound like a good replacement for the Marathons. Not sure about mileage though.
    Thank You
    83 R100RS
    Jeff

IA.JEFF

Metzeler Link

Here is the Metzeler Sportec Klassik link. Any opinions on these tires.This ad makes them sound really good. But, Metzeler has been marketing tires for a long time.

http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/prod...c-klassik.html

Michelin Pilot Activ's

Quote Originally Posted by jvand View Post
    Does anyone have any experience or know where I might find some reviews on these newer style of Metzeler tire? Have ran Marathons forever and they apparently are not making the rear ME88 anymore. These sound like a good replacement for the Marathons. Not sure about mileage though.
    Thank You
    83 R100RS
    Jeff
    Not to start a flame, but why not try the Michelin Pilot Activ's? I just put a set of these on my R90s and couldn't be happier after a full day at the track.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-004

I switched from Avon Roadrider's and the Michelin's eliminated the intermittent front tank slapper I spent five years trying to solve. They seem to stick like glue and mileage reports are favorable as well.

RPG

IA.JEFF

Metzeler Sportec Klassik

Thank's Rick, the Michelin Pilot Activ's look like a good alternative. Would be nice to find some feedback on the Sportec Klassiks before I switch away from Metzeler.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    A friend has a set of the new Metzeler Klassiks on his 82 R100RS. Only 3,000 kms on them so far so no data on tire life yet but he has zero complaints about handling or wet weather so far. They are pretty new on the market so reliable tread life data is a ways off yet I think.
    That said I have the Michelin Pilot Activs on my 82 RS and they are really great handling tires. Again though, they are new to me so no info on tread life for ya. I seem to recall folks are getting decent life out of the Michelins and I suspect the Metzelers will do just as well. I ran LaserTecs on my RS before and they were good tires in all weather with normal tread life.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

IA.JEFF

Metzeler Sportec Klassik

Thank's for the feedback. Good to hear they are on a R100RS. Went to my main tire shop to see if he had any experience with the Sportec Klassik. Had not heard of it, looked it up in his book and thinks it should compare good to the Marathon.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvand View Post
    Thank's for the feedback. Good to hear they are on a R100RS. Went to my main tire shop to see if he had any experience with the Sportec Klassik. Had not heard of it, looked it up in his book and thinks it should compare good to the Marathon.
    Yeah I think so. The tread pattern really reminded me of the Avon to be honest. But I did examine them closely and they appear to me to be exactly what you would expect from Metzeler; a good quality tire. They also are designed to "look the part" if you know what I mean. The overall look of the tire, the fonts used etc. are all "Klassik". Yah yah!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    Well, Not to derail you too much but I also have a new pair of Pilot Activ by Michelin. Liking them just fine so far. Prior to these, I was running Bridgestone Battle Axe BT 45s. Also have the BT 45s on my 74 Norton Commando. Good all-rounders.

I've talked to a lot of people who just don't like Metzlers. Seems they just aren't making as good a tire as they used to.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World