• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a pic of your Airhead

The main difference in braking comes from the front upgrades, not the rear. I needed to break down the rear wheel to strip and repaint. I took the opportunity to replace the bearing and seals. The shoes were worn and the drum needed machining. Perfect time to do it. The rear stops like it should, the front much better.
jw

1983 R80RT...Just Restored

P1010233.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, geez a little warning might have prevented that last sip of coffee off my keyboard! Hilarious.

Truly sorry, Annapolis, a little brake clean, perhaps, for your soiled keys? I am glad you had a good laugh on a Sunday morning.

Isa@#%!$??, Those are BMW knee pads for an 83-84 R80RT. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51659&Diagram=#. Under "fuel supply"P/N's 16111234047 & 8. I attached them with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. The trick was figuring out where to position wanted them before applying the glue and keeping the glue in the right area. I used one of my son's wet erase markers and outlined the pads on the L/R until happy w/ the location. I could iterate easy with the wet erase because it could be cleaned off if I was not happy w/ the position. After that, the 3M adhesive is easy to keep between the lines and put on the tank pad itself. You have a little slide for about 3-4 minutes if you slightly misplace the pad on the tank. Read the instructions for the glue.

:banghead

HH

Last edited:
Daily Rider

The paint is original, so's the frame and most of the drive line. Not much else. Repaired as required with OEM parts over the past 20 years. Some day I hope to paint her, as the paint is getting a bit thin on the tank corners. A few normal problems over the years: Charging system, timing chain and gears,(they wear together, I replaced the chain only a few years ago and had to revisit sooner than I wanted.) Valve recession, seat popped out and almost destroyed head and piston. :banghead Clutch, I always replace the hard parts along with the friction disk. I did this twice now. The drive shaft grenaded and blew a hole in the swing arm tube and the rear wheel rivets sheared at the spline carrier. I still don't know why. lucky it was just before tire changing time so my new wheel got a fresh tire. Oh yea, and then there was the wreck. Front wheel, handle bars and headlight bucket smashed by a left turning imbecile. I bought it back from the insurance company for not a lot of money and thanks to a wrecker I know in Long Beach, I actualy made money putting it back together. I used to collect valve covers to hang on my garage walls, but I don't ride like that any more. Over all she's a good bike that answers my two wheel compulsions. I used to own a $400. Honda a long time ago, but not long enough to form any bond. There was something missing about it and I knew it would not last. I was thinking about what to get for my next bike when I encountered my first errant left turner. Lucky for me I studied the fine art of tumbling and did not get hurt much when I "T" boned her car. The insurance guy gave me a fist full of dollars and I went BMW shopping. :brad
The only thing wrong now other than paint is the odometer gave up about forty miles south of Columbus Ohio last year on my way home to Washington from Jacksonville FL. It is showing 167k but that is wrong by a couple of thousand miles. :)

Attachments

• DSC00641.jpg
    DSC00641.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 608
Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I must say when I tore into this project, I never thought I'd get it done to this level. Through 9 months of hard work, perserverence, research, and good advice, this is my result. The advice was invaluable from BMWOA and ADVrider. It's truly amazing how much some of you guys know about these machines.

It's time to put some miles on it. I certainly did not do this just to look at it.:brow

HH :banghead

I really like it

Hey helmut head I agree with you, a beautiful bike is excellent good to have. Some day I promise my self I will take the time to take my bike apart and paint the whole thing. Now go Kill some bugs.:thumb:wave
I don't know what I would do for nine months if I could not ride. I ride under Doctor's orders in leu of medications.:hungover I posted a work in progress. 20 years of riding year round in the Puget Sound Area is hard on a bike. As a residential carpenter I restored old houses, I would commute every where (except the Highlands-- they don't allow motorcycles) with my beat up old Wixoms loaded with hand tools. I could always find a place to park on a crowded job site. Over the years I was able to keep up on the mechanical issues but miles is miles. Now that I am a new member of the leisure class I will concentrate on the finer aesthetics of riding a classick work horse from the early eighties. The fairing is off now, getting a new dash from Max and painted, There is a new center stand now so she sets a little prouder with less slouch to the starboard side. Next, I plan on l rebuilding the carbs. I think the butterfly is letting a little air through at idle when it gets hot, and I can't get over 90mp; she stumbles. (I discovered that last summer crossing the Florida Panhandle trying to keep up with a new Harly Road King.) :scratch I'm trying to decide. send the carbs in or buy the kit? And I need to fix the odometer.:violin

Krpntr

Enjoy the rebuild. You need to let me know about your condition and medications that have your doctor recommending you ride- never heard of that; sounds like good stuff!

I'd recommend you do your own carburetors. Call up Bing and get a kit from them- floats and all. Take photos as you disassemble them and follow a Clymer or Haynes manual. I was appprehensive when I did mine, but got it right the first time. You could probably buy the rebuild kit, a manual, an electronic balancing gage (manometer), the carb cleaner in a can, and a cool baseball hat for the price it would be to send them out.

Let me know if I can help.....but I've only done it once.

one airhead on top another airhead

me and my Pretinha

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 636
Running after 30+ years in storage

After six months of work, my 1974 R75/6 is now running! I currently concentrating on rebuilding the front brake rotor, cosmetics, replacing bits/pieces and tracking down the title. Purchased with 2,942 miles on the odometer, it still had original (dry rotted) tires, etc. Replaced with inexpensive Dunlops, it handles the mountain curves without a hitch.

However, after storage near the seashore with years of exposure to salt air, I've got my work cut out. Does anyone have a less than perfect (i.e., inexpensive) headlight assembly with chrome ring and/or handlebars? My handlebars are badly rusted and the headlight assembly was apparently lost.

The good news is that the internals are pristine - no wear on splines, brake shoes, etc. I can't wait to get 'er done!

Attachments

• 100_0985 (512x384).jpg
    100_0985 (512x384).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 611
I might have few things you asked for

I know I got a set of handle bars (USA version) with some light rust. I may let my head light bucket go as soon as I put my hands on the one to replace it. No chrome ring or innards (light assembly or reflector) but it will be a start for you. All yours for the cost of shipping. I'll look through my stuff and see what else is not needed. bmmrbikeman@comcast.net.

Thanks!

Thanks! I have the headlight bucket – just need the chrome ring and “innards”. Please let me know the cost of shipping the handlebars – they have to be better than mine… I’ve shipped some odd stuff via USPS – including a life size cardboard standup poster of Dolly Parton – I just put a shipping label on the back of her head, and the post office sent it on its way! I suspect if you wrap the bars in bubble wrap and tape plus a label, they will ship it for you. Please use the least expensive rate as time is not that important. If you have a PayPal account, I’ll send payment via the net. Otherwise, I’ll send you a check or money order. I'm sending you my "snail mail" address via e-mail.

I'm also looking for a replacement gas cap. Mine is badly pitted, but functional.

I appreciate the help – I’m now retired on a fixed income, so my cycle funds are limited. Your price is definately right!

Paul

[ up on mod soapbox ]

Paul and 69zeff65 -

Please refrain from using the tech forum to buy/sell/trade items. From this point on, use the PM function only. Forum posting guidelines strongly frown on this.

Thanks...

[ off mod soapbox ]

Back