• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a pic of your Airhead

Great find!

I don't have a SWB seat (well, I do, but SWMBO would nail me with one of the .45's in a heartbeat if I ever took any parts off of her baby :bolt).

I wanted to mention that that bike looks very orignal, down to the old gold-patina air intake tubes. Be careful when cleaning them up -- the only ones available from BMW now are black. Light polishing with a dry cloth may be sufficient; you can go to a plastic polish if necessary, but test it on a hidden area first to verify it won't change the color.

BTDT with the frame-up resto of a toaster -- a bit frustrating at times, but overall a great project -- I'd do it again in a NY minute. Enjoy!

76 R90S Euro version

Sideview.jpg

My new to me 1976 R90S european version with 44,000 kilometers. Original paint (just a few blemishes), toolkit, manual, etc. Very nice survivor but will be ridden and not trailered. The bike was one of the 1976 S models to come out of Germany with the flush gas cap as the factory was transitioning to the /7 models (ref Fallon's R90S book pg 71).

She joins my R75 with sidecar and R100 Classic in the garage. Yes I got it bad for airheads...need more room.

Life is good!

Last edited:
Twins

Mine is a twin of yours. 44km when I got her, crash bars, Krauser mounts, DO.

original paint

Beautiful bike but I don't think the paint is original. The side covers (battery cover) should be solid color orange, not sunburst. Stunning example, none the less.

Sideview.jpg

My new to me 1976 R90S european version with 44,000 kilometers. Original paint (just a few blemishes), toolkit, manual, etc. Very nice survivor but will be ridden and not trailered. The bike was one of the 1976 S models to come out of Germany with the flush gas cap as the factory was transitioning to the /7 models (ref Fallon's R90S book pg 71).

She joins my R75 with sidecar and R100 Classic in the garage. Yes I got it bad for airheads...need more room.

Life is good!

Can you get on and ride from cold on your bike, or does it take 5-10 mins of warm-up? Mine starts right up from cold with some choke, but I need to let her sit and idle for 5-10 mins before I can ride off. After running and warm, start up and idle is fine, but not when cold. I am told the Del'Ortos are the reason and that not all of them had this issue.

S

Beautiful bike but I don't think the paint is original. The side covers (battery cover) should be solid color orange, not sunburst. Stunning example, none the less.
Given that each fogged panel had to be painted by hand, it would not surprise me in the least to find that some side panels got done this way at the factory.

Choke & sidecovers

"Can you get on and ride from cold on your bike, or does it take 5-10 mins of warm-up? Mine starts right up from cold with some choke, but I need to let her sit and idle for 5-10 mins before I can ride off. After running and warm, start up and idle is fine, but not when cold. I am told the Del'Ortos are the reason and that not all of them had this issue."

My R90S is a little cold natured, but not much different than the R75/6 or the R90/6 I believe. I start & warm it up a little with the choke on, then take it easy for a little while until it gets up to temp. But man does she run well & sounds good....a definite grin machine.

As far as the side covers go....I am not 100% sure if they are original paint and really don't care. They look very nice. I do know you could line up a dozen R90S motorcycles in sequential factory numbers (and original paint) and each would look a little different & probably have some dissimilar parts on them...especially the 1976 models. That's part of the cool factor with these factory sport bikes...not one is the same as the next.

Cheers

miles of smiles

I imported this low miles RS mono-shock here to western Pennsylvania in early 2008 from the Canadian market. Thank you Mikey! Nice original, ridden condition. Everything works as it should. Bike looks like it's been protected from the elements when not ridden. Replaced the Valeo starter motor last year with an ND when the Valeo gave it up. That led to my review of the electronics and related bits and resulted in a decision for a new up-to-date ICU/ICM straight from BMW. I guess that was a good choice as the engine got immediately smoother and just ever so slightly more responsive to throttle inputs. However I swear that also resulted in quieter engine operation, which at first I wasn't sure I liked, but have grown to appreciate. While at it, I went with NGK BP7ES plugs and new plug wires. Performed general electronics connection cleaning and frame clean-up while in under the tank. Upgraded the battery from a fairly standard 25Amp BMW battery to a 30Amp Wesco which feels more responsive at startup and doesn't hurt on cold winter starts. Obtained a new battery retainer rail at same time just to make me feel it is buttoned up proper. Hinged oil filter cleaning BMW oil. Already made a decision to eventually open the front end and deal with Diode Board and go to the Omega Alternator... I just need an incentive to open it. You gotta appreciate that Rick at Motorrad Elektrik who advised on the ND starter and so forth. I only had one key for the ignition / fork lock and so I ordered both hinged and post steel blanks from the local BMW dealer, only to find no one in the city who could or would cut steel keys... and this IS the 'steel city'. Resolved by Bob's BMW when I was over that way in late winter on business. So enough already, I hope you enjoyed the post and write-up. The pic presented here is from the top of one of my favorite local ski slopes in the Laurel Highlands mountains, under the North Face chair lift.

Attachments

• RS_7SPRINGS_comp.jpg
    RS_7SPRINGS_comp.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,128
As far as the side covers go....I am not 100% sure if they are original paint and really don't care. They look very nice.

Cheers

They really do look nice. No offence intended. I owned my R90S for 5 years back in the early to mid 90's and made it a point to learn all I could about them. I've seen several with sunburst side covers but none that left the factory that way. I've never seen Fallon's R90S book but does it show any with sunburst covers? I'm always willing to learn something new. As I said, stunning bike. Good luck with it. I know you'll enjoy it every time you fire it up.

MB

They are unique. I just showed mine at a concours in Littleton, CO and the judges (although somewhat auto-centric) thought the carbs were aftermarket! IT's nice when one can educate the judges, ya no?

I imported this low miles RS mono-shock here to western Pennsylvania in early 2008 from the Canadian market. Thank you Mikey! Nice original, ridden condition. Everything works as it should. Bike looks like it's been protected from the elements when not ridden. Replaced the Valeo starter motor last year with an ND when the Valeo gave it up. That led to my review of the electronics and related bits and resulted in a decision for a new up-to-date ICU/ICM straight from BMW. I guess that was a good choice as the engine got immediately smoother and just ever so slightly more responsive to throttle inputs. However I swear that also resulted in quieter engine operation, which at first I wasn't sure I liked, but have grown to appreciate. While at it, I went with NGK BP7ES plugs and new plug wires. Performed general electronics connection cleaning and frame clean-up while in under the tank. Upgraded the battery from a fairly standard 25Amp BMW battery to a 30Amp Wesco which feels more responsive at startup and doesn't hurt on cold winter starts. Obtained a new battery retainer rail at same time just to make me feel it is buttoned up proper. Hinged oil filter cleaning BMW oil. Already made a decision to eventually open the front end and deal with Diode Board and go to the Omega Alternator... I just need an incentive to open it. You gotta appreciate that Rick at Motorrad Elektrik who advised on the ND starter and so forth. I only had one key for the ignition / fork lock and so I ordered both hinged and post steel blanks from the local BMW dealer, only to find no one in the city who could or would cut steel keys... and this IS the 'steel city'. Resolved by Bob's BMW when I was over that way in late winter on business. So enough already, I hope you enjoyed the post and write-up. The pic presented here is from the top of one of my favorite local ski slopes in the Laurel Highlands mountains, under the North Face chair lift.

That is a nice RS. I've been up and under that chair lift many times in the winter and the summer.

1993 r100r

My bike of choice after 3 decades of not riding. Saw it on the side of the road in Lake George, NY with a for sale sign on it. It was love at first sight.

Attachments

• P7080031.jpg
    P7080031.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 966
My bike of choice after 3 decades of not riding. Saw it on the side of the road in Lake George, NY with a for sale sign on it. It was love at first sight.

I could see why you fell in love....beautiful bike. Congrats on a nice find!

I hope you enjoy it while you ride the wheels off it :>)

This R60/5 came home last weekend, our first airhead and my first ride on a airhead, I am still grinning. Looks like I may be trading my R1200GS for a clean R100GS.
622388655_4Y2yW-Th.jpg

R100gs

This is a picture of my very well ridden GS at Mt Charlston in Las Vegas NV.

Attachments

• BMW R100GS.jpg
    BMW R100GS.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 805
My 92 GS/PD

Here is a pic of my 1992 GS/PD with 75K on her. I'm up in the Laurel Highlands Mountian Range (Johnstown, Pa.) and glad to ride every chance I get!
Semper-Fi.
George J. Blackham IV
1stSgt, USMC (Ret.)
MOA # 88408
Laurel Highlands BMW Riders- V.Pres.
and 4 Winds BMW Member

Attachments

• DSCN3068.jpg
    DSCN3068.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,223
Back