• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a pic of your Airhead

PA100008-XL.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Nice customized ride! I see a set of Mikunis for some performance. What's that extra rod stick out the rear, somewhat parallel to the rear brake actuation rod?

Yesterday I rode with a few members of the moto gang up and around Mount Greylock, the highest peak in Massachusetts. Lots of dirt roads and back roads. Outdoor dinner at a Mexican place in Stephentown, NY, then another 30 miles south down to Hillsdale to refill on gas.

And eat ice cream.

August 24, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

About 140 miles on the bike...

SPP

Please make sure you are accurately focused when photographing ice cream next time. :nono

Cool group of bikes :thumb. I would take any one of them. But especially yours and the Interceptor. I had a 1978 R80/7 at one time.

The Rod is Actually Fuel Hose

Welcome to the forum! Nice customized ride! I see a set of Mikunis for some performance. What's that extra rod stick out the rear, somewhat parallel to the rear brake actuation rod?

Back when I travelled distance a lot, about 18,000 total miles/year, I started using fuel hose for my tank overflow/vent line. The idea was if I ever had a leaky hose on the road, I would just cut an appropriate length of the vent hose. Since I just use auto parts fuel hose for the vent line, I replace it every few years due to weather etc.
As for the Mikunis, I switched to those to accommodate the 336 cam I installed in 2001. I like the response from the cam, but the bike was PIA to start with the 40mm Bings. It would finally fire once it backfired like a 20mm cannon. (You should've seen the reaction to that in front of Redbones Bar-B-Que in Somerville, MA a couple of months after 9/11.) Also, the plugs were constantly carbon fouled no matter what I did with the jetting. (Pilot jet didn't occur to me then.) I think the aggressive cam wasn't pulling enough vacuum at low rpm to get a proper response from vacuum actuated CV's.
The Mikunis were initially a 24 mpg nightmare until I realized I had to lean the pilot jets way down. As I cautiously leaned the pilot jets in a step process, I realized the needle jets and main jets had to go rich.
That's the short version of the Mikuni Epic. I have six pages of notes spanning from 2013 to 2017 with different jetting combinations etc.
I sometimes wonder if I should try the Bings again with leaned out pilot jets. Then I come back to my senses and just go for a ride.
Mikunis Notes.jpg

Wow, that is some story. Yeah, I would wonder too if the stock Bings might be easier to sort out. Of course, the updated cam means you would still need to tweak things.

Back