• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

100,000 Miles

Dave Carmean with my 1972 R75/5. Dave introduced me the Airheads, hooked me up with Red and has maintained her for years. In light of all Dave has done for me I thought it appropriate to give him the honor (perhaps I over estimate the importance of this moment :)) of riding Red over the 100,000 mile mark. I showed up at his shop, Moto Europa, in Mechanicsville this morning with 99,997 miles on the odometer and we enjoyed a nice ride together...and I got to ride his R100S...talk about fun!IMG_20200715_102400 Dave Carmean with Red.1.jpg

Rut Row!

Some people get distracted by the shinny object that grabs their attention, I tend to go off track when a crusty object calls out to me. Feast your eyes on the Rat Ride. Any guesses on the fairing origin?

Attachments

• Rat ride 3.JPG
    Rat ride 3.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Rat Ride 1.JPG
    Rat Ride 1.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 229
  • Rat ride 2.JPG
    Rat ride 2.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 235
I thought the fairing might be a Flanders style, but the way the headlight pooches out is a bit different. I guess the nut covers at the bottom glass were there to break up the slipstream!!

I think you are correct about the nut covers

There is a thought that it is an early Avon fairing. I did remove the fairing and may have stumbled on the origins of the phase "Tupperware" as it applies to BMW motorcycles pictures to follow.

The origin of "Tupperware"?

Could this be the first use of Tupperware on a BMW? Regardless it is very nicely laid out and I guess water proof.

Attachments

• Tupperware 3.JPG
    Tupperware 3.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 223
  • tupperware 1.JPG
    tupperware 1.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Tupperware 4.JPG
    Tupperware 4.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Tupperware 5.JPG
    Tupperware 5.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Tupperware 2.JPG
    Tupperware 2.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 221
Doesn't look OEM to me! :hungover Tongue in cheek I'm sure, but didn't the first full body fairing show up on the 1977 R100RS? That would be the first opportunity to call it "Tupperware" but I didn't really hear it until you got to the K1200LT, maybe some of the K100LT before it.

Urban legends persist

I don't know maybe the official (forum speak) use of Tupperware was referring to K bike plastic I still think that it was used well before it. It's just like anti lock brakes on a BMW bike. Some say the it started in the late '80's or '90's I have always thought they started with the Earles fork bikes and perfected the anti lock with the /2 series but now after some research into this I have come to the conclusion that BMW has always had anti lock brakes on the motorcycles.

The end of the road in Red Head Cove
IMG_3465_heic-L.jpg

Thanks Paul.

This is crazy. If you follows Paul's link to Red Head Cove and click on the New (Newline) Road, you can see where exactly where skibum69 took his picture. This is really "end of the road". :)

Nice of you to put that up Paul. Yeah pretty much the middle of nowhere, I live back down the road in New Melbourne so only a short spin for me.

Not an airhead but have a look for Miles Cove, it's even more the middle of nowhere.
IMG_3319_heic-L.jpg

I started that little trip with a run up the Baie Verte Peninsula and spent the night in La Scie. My rear tire problem sent me limping back down to Springdale the next day to deal with it. From there I went up to the end of the road past the Miles Cove turnoff to Brighton. It was still a fun 3 days despite the change in travel plans. People don't realize just how big this island is, I ran 3 days, rode up 2 peninsulas with only a couple of detours and I still put on this many miles and only got 1/2 way across the island. Paul, I see on your map you don't have a marker for my house.:ha
IMG_3442_heic-L.jpg

Here is the RR I put up on my local forum.
http://ridetherock.com/index.php?threads/a-short-spin-for-new-roads.1791/

You are very close, about 500 yards left. 48.0453875,-53.1582204. You can kind of see house through the trees on street view with the blue Honda Element parked out front. The google pics are at least 6-8 years old from the real estate sign up at the bottom of my lane.

R65 and R80RT over 34 years

A picture of me with my new 1986 R65 in Tyler, Texas. We moved to Wyoming in 1990 and I brought it with me and enjoyed riding in the mountains of Wyoming, Colorado, Montana and South Dakota. In 1992 I ordered a touring seat from Corbin and installed it on the Beemer. So much more comfortable than stock! My wife wanted me to buy a bigger bike so she could ride with me. So I sold my 650 to a friend, who sold it to a friend of one of my friends. The friend of my friend had too many Beemers so he decided to sell his 1986 R80RT to my friend, 20 years ago. Interestingly it had a Corbin touring seat on it just like the one I bought for my R65 in 1992. I told my friend that if he ever wanted to sell his R80RT, I would buy it. Two months ago, he sold it to me after 20 years. He gave me a nice BMW tank bag, a luggage rack, the stock BMW panniers, and a box of new oil filters, tools, etc. AND, the bike had that same Corbin touring seat. Next he gave me the stock seat in perfect condition, and a Russell Day Long touring seat, in a Corbin box that had my name and address on it! That was my Corbin seat! So I :gerg:gerghave my Corbin seat back after about 30 years.
Here is another bit of trivia on my 1986 BMW R80 RT. In 1986, We were living in Tyler, Texas which had a small new BMW dealer. I was wanting a BMW for my next bike and I wanted an R model, rather than one of those new fangled K models. I visited my sister and brother in Austin and I went Lone Star Cycle Motive, the BMW dealer to check out their bikes. I sat on all of the R models including a R80RT, which is the model I really wanted. In the end, I decided to buy from the new dealer in Tyler to support his dealership. Fast forward 34 years. When I got the R80 RT home from my friends house, I looked through the paperwork that he gave me. This bike was bought new in 1986, from the BMW dealer in Austin. There’s a good chance I sat on this bike in Austin at the dealer in 1986, on the showroom floor. My friend said we should do a DNA test of my butt and the stock seat. The BMW world is a big world. I visited the BMW new car delivery building in Munich, Germany a few years ago and sat on a new GS model that they had on display. Maybe that will be my next Beemer.

Attachments

• 69D7C215-0301-45B7-85CD-D72059C6E4F2.jpeg
    69D7C215-0301-45B7-85CD-D72059C6E4F2.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 253
I just read part of this story in your new member thread. This is really amazing! Some things are meant to be. :)

Back