• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a pic of your Airhead

Absolutely Beautiful Bike ! Good Onya.

Even if the key is in backward. Must be a Southern Hemisphere thing.

Absolutely Beautiful Bike ! I personally like stock bikes. Wonder how much th bike cost in 1970.

Hope you wear out many sets of tires.

Charlie

looking good

Hi Darryl, hope all is well and you are keeping healthy boy at first glance I thought that was you standing behind the bike but then I realised you have a beard!! sorry couldnt resist, where was the photo taken ? also how is the project CBX coming along ?last info you were rebuilding the carbs all 6 of them!! well good you see you posting bye for now Jimmy:thumb

spring day out

Hello living in the country I can slip out for a wee run up to Lake Huron and back no one around hopeing there will be better days to come for us all Jimmy

Attachments

• no footrest 006.jpg
    no footrest 006.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 294
3948dc2cf94f4e79a5f600b22f0dfffe.jpg

5211ec2bfbf88968e39005fa201c3063.jpg

1974 R90S with Hannigan Fairing (bulletnose)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some nice looking shiny bits on the R90S! Looks like a comfortable long mileage bike.

I'm sure you've looked into it, but those front snowflakes look to be the ones that were recalled. Since the '74 didn't come with those wheels, they are off a later bike.

Some nice looking shiny bits on the R90S! Looks like a comfortable long mileage bike.

I'm sure you've looked into it, but those front snowflakes look to be the ones that were recalled. Since the '74 didn't come with those wheels, they are off a later bike.

Thank you, I was aware of the recall and had them checked. They are good. It was very kind of you to mention it and I appreciate the courtesy.

That Sure Looks Like a Recalled Front Wheel

54571---I don't know who "checked" that wheel, but your photos show that your front wheel lacks the reinforcement webbing at the spokes' junction at the wheel hub that is the improved, safe design. Here's a link to Bob Fleischer's (AKA: "Snowbum") article on the topic, that has a couple of clear photos that demonstrate the difference between the recalled wheels, and the improved replacement https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm BMW owes you a new wheel, and it would be prudent to have them get you one.

khittner -

I took his "checked" comment to mean that they were inspected to ensure they had no cracks. To be honest, I thought that there was only a limited number of actual cracked wheels and those bikes had been ridden on cobblestone roads...that was my understand. Still, finding microscopic cracks takes a lot of science.

As for getting one replaced, I've read maybe 4-5 different scenarios on that. Some, the dealer wants to see the bike in the shop that the wheel came on. Others want to verify the VIN the wheel came off. Since this is an R90S, none of that is going to work out. BMW I'm sure made spare wheels, so just saying that the dealer needs to match wheel to each bike doesn't work either. I'm not sure just how the recall is supposed to work in that regard. Is BMW required to get all known manufactured wheels off the road? Is BMW supposed to reach some percentage of total production and call it good? I know that the recall is open ended, but the devil is in the details.

Nice looking outfit, it's an eclectic mix of different era parts and accessories. :thumb

Thank you, for the kind comment about the bike and expanding my vocabulary.

eclectic
[əˈklektik]
ADJECTIVE
deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.

54571---I don't know who "checked" that wheel, but your photos show that your front wheel lacks the reinforcement webbing at the spokes' junction at the wheel hub that is the improved, safe design. Here's a link to Bob Fleischer's (AKA: "Snowbum") article on the topic, that has a couple of clear photos that demonstrate the difference between the recalled wheels, and the improved replacement https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm BMW owes you a new wheel, and it would be prudent to have them get you one.

Khittner,

Again thank you for the information and the link to the recall specifics. I have to agree according to the article and the pictures I would conclude the wheels would require replacement. I did have a competent dealer research the wheels to determine if they were recalled. That has been several years ago and I do remember an extensive review with BMW by the dealer to determine that they were not required to be recalled. Of course that doesn’t mean that a mistake wasn’t made at the time. I lacked any knowledge of the specifics of the recall myself. The dealer brought it to my attention that the wheels may need to be replaced. As you have advocated I will have them checked again now that I have a better understanding of the recall, thanks again to you.

I do remember an extensive review with BMW by the dealer to determine that they were not required to be recalled.

Time to find a new dealer?? ;) As you said, and read, it's definitely an open recall. What you might find is that there are no more replacements available through BMW. BMW probably produced a given number of replacements and through the years, they either got used up or a dealer got tired of carrying them in inventory and had them destroyed. Good luck! :wave

beautiful bike

Good morning, what a beautiful bike, what is the story of the red r100/s paint? which I really like ,also wheel is old style I remember my friends 1978 r100/s had the wheel replaced under the exchange program ,a few years later he sold it to another friend of mine ,who had an accident bent the front rim, we replaced it with one from an 1979 r100rt gold tint, painted it silver, a year or so later it went into the bmw dealer for service they told him the wheel was covered under the replacement program, even though it had already been changed years previously he got a new wheel they crack where the wheel ribs abut with the rim there should be strengthning ribs , well hope all goes well once again beautfull bike, as someone once remarked about my old 2000 blue r1100rt (what a pretty bike ) not sure how to take that one ,my son Mark now rides it and I,m back on my old 1977 r100 /s / rt, bye for now Jimmy:thumb

Attachments

• red rt again 012.jpg
    red rt again 012.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 221
Back