• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

Neat setup for touring. That type of setup was real common when I got into the BMW rally scene in the mid 80's. Still see alot of them at rallies today. I had a 74 R90 set up very simular, and toured thousands of miles that way. I'ts now apart undergoing a ground up resto. There was a BMW shop in Ft. Smith, AR. called Danny's, back in the 70's and 80's, who set up R100RTs and Ts just like that. We called them Danny's Specials and I still see them around the Ar, Ok, ,and Tx. area rallies. Good luck with your new ride.

Hey Barry, be sure to post pics of your R90's progress, especially before and after shots if you've got any. :type

Cheers - Larry

Larry, I will in the future, Im not set up for pictures yet. I'm working on it. My R90 has been an ongoing test mule. When I got he bike, It had a Windjammer and a rearack with a trunk. It had the small tank, the bike was in fair condition. I added the Krauser Star bags. I was off and touring: but, I was constanly having to do maintenence to keep up with my buddies on more current bikes. It slowly turned into a kind of ratbike. I did an economy resto in 90/91 and put 30,000 miles on up to 96. I then moved on to a 87 K100RT. The 90 is undergoing a complete makeover. The engine is done, I'ts setting in my bedroom closet under plastic. I'll try to get a picture of it on the forum. The high for the day is 55, so I'll probably ride the K over to the sports bar and watch the U of Memphis play Akron in Motorcity Bowl.

vanzen said:
my 76-81(so far) XRS LuftKopf Mongrel
XRS_portrait_1.JPG

Sharp bike, but for some reason the first thought that jumped into my mind was Hodaka Super Rat :) [Note: I'm definitely NOT trying to insult the owner of this bike. It is a sharp bike. The 70's Hodaka Super Rats were notable for having red frames and chrome gas tanks.]

Last edited:
...are you sure we're not forgeting to take something? :nono My wife, Mary, prior to a successful 12,000 mile adventure in 2001. She really could fit where the helmet is! Brakes? What brakes? -Bob

Attachments

• MARY AND BIKE HFX.2JPG.JPG
    MARY AND BIKE HFX.2JPG.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,053
1971 R75 short frame "toaster", restored over several years after about 20 years of gathering rust and dust in the back of a friends garage.

Attachments

• Dave & R75.JPG
    Dave & R75.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,909
This is my 1977 R100RS with 2004 Bushtec Trailer, the RS has 411,000 miles on it to date, the trailer about 10,000 miles.

Darryl

Attachments

• Copy of Bike & Trailer.bmp
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,885
My $800 Beemer

I picked this up in Seattle as a parts bike a few years back- as I began to strip it out, it looked better the further I went. Turned out to be a lot less wrong with it than I thought, so I started putting it back together, tweaking as I went- traded some work for the S fairing, complete with instruments n harness, and- can you believe- already color matched to the bike!

Has about 90k on it now, and it's become one of my favorite rides.

Attachments

• 78 R100S.JPG
    78 R100S.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,778
Not BMW

Just as fun as the airhead. Cruises at 65 to 70 and gets 65 mpg. Has a 250cc, fuel injected, 4 valve single. Belt drive. Twist 'n Go! The Harley guys don't wave.

Attachments

• AAAA.jpg
    AAAA.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,705
I could not be more pleased...

I've had this bike about two weeks now. It's my first BMW. I'm absolutely overjoyed with it!!!! Looking forward to many miles...much more reliable than my '69 Triumph!!

Attachments

• index_001.jpg
    index_001.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,699
My New Baby

R80/7 16,000 miles.

Attachments

• _DSC3948.jpg
    _DSC3948.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,681
78 100s

The 'before' picture is at the second to last on page 17. A winters worth of work to get it cleaned up and running...

image013.jpg

Randy Turk says - Just as fun as the airhead. Cruises at 65 to 70 and gets 65 mpg. Has a 250cc, fuel injected, 4 valve single. Belt drive. Twist 'n Go! The Harley guys don't wave.

It's really simple Randy, they don't wave 'cause they're scared to let go with one hand. Look closer next time and you'll see them blinking.... You should think about blinking back, it's the civil thing to do. Nice scooter too.

Gearhead90S,

What's the history on the 90S? I owned one in Belgium and when it was sold, I believe that it may have gone to Indiana. This was about 11 years ago. your bike has a couple of features which mine shared.

Motard
1150GS
R50

Back