• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

1977_bmw_r100rs_detail_screen.jpg
Well, the difference from an RS to an RT is might not a very obvious one. But after one notices the difference, one can't un-see it.

The lower parts of the fairing of both RS and RT are identical. However the upper parts are quite different. The upper swoop of the RT is at a diagonal and the mirror is mounted on a very different shaped bracket. Most characteristically the RT has an air-intake below the turn signal indicator whereas the RS has no air intake in the upper part of the fairing. Last but not least the RT has a much taller clear windshield.

The image for comparison is from Bill Stermer's book: BMW R100RS and shows a detail of a first year (1977) BMW R100RS page 23.

Last edited:
View attachment 61144
Well, well the difference from an RS to an RT is might not a very obvious one. But after one notices the difference, one can't un-see it.

The lower parts of the fairing of both RS and RT are identical. However the upper parts are quite different. The upper swoop of the RT is at a diagonal and the mirror is mounted on a very different shaped bracket. Most characteristically the RT has an air-intake below the turn signal indicator whereas the RS has no air intake in the upper part of the fairing. Last but not least the RT has a much taller clear windshield.

The image for comparison is from Bill Stermer's book: BMW R100RS and shows a detail of a first year (1977) BMW R100RS page 23.

Another clue might be found in the lettering on the side covers

Seemed appropriate. :)

Flagged%20-%201.jpg

R100RT 1981 pix SNOW OPTIONAL

R100RT 1981 pix SNOW OPTIONAL in Northern NJ on January 1 201x

Roger T

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 326
Out to lunch in Taos, New Mexico on my trusted 1992 BMW R 100 GS.
Considered one of the best restaurants in town, Michael’s Kitchen has been in business since 1974, and some original staff members remain.

Out to Lunch_0019

Not hardly my first Airhead, but will be my last one.

1995 R100RT. Modified ignition, PM alternator, Odyssey battery, custom Day-Long saddle, some modest lighting changes, Euro controls, very short Parabellum shield, and not much else changed. I have about 650,000 safe miles on BMW's. Was head of the shop back when /5 bikes were still being sold new. Probably best known for my technical repairs site, http://bmwmotorcycletech.info
Snowbums-1995-R100RT.jpg

My 1991 R100GS Bumble Bee

My beautiful 1991 R100GS Bumble Bee in the wild. I'm about to list it in the marketplace for sale.

AWL_9995.jpg

Classic tank cover... too bad someone doesn't still make them. Mine's shredded.

I had one like that came with 100/7 I purchased I think. I also have 1/2 interest in a R80RT might have come with that bike pm me if you want me to look for it.

Back