• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a pic of your Airhead

Hey, I've been there. Didn't see your bike, though. :D

Do you have a deep sump modification on this bike? Pardon the question as I am not an airhead expert.

My 1983 R100RS in Berks County, PA today.

IMG_4681-Edit.jpg

Do you have a deep sump modification on this bike? Pardon the question as I am not an airhead expert.

Yes, I have the deep sump. Almost a deep thinker too. :)

For you to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway is a serious trip.

Just getting back to this thread....

well it does'nt get any better than this ,you did the right thing showing the rest of us airheads, how proud you must be, is there a story that goes along with them ? best of luck and thank you for posting, Jimmy:ca

Quick story that goes along with both bikes...

I was at the BMW MOA Rutland, VT rally back in '78 as a teen and saw a DO R90S and was SMITTEN! Got bit by the "beauty bug" bad but could never afford one. Took me 14 years but finally got one in '92. Sold it to a very good friend in '05. Went back out on the hunt in '13 and ran across a good man in Wisconsin who "collected" bikes. Had many bikes in his stable including three R90S's. He gave me the details on all three and this one caught my attention. 33K original miles with a full set of NOS DO bodywork as part of the deal. Tank came in it's own box and was minted back in the early 80's. Never out of the box. Bike originally came with SS bodywork. It was '76 with all the /7 upgrades. Only 162 imported into the states after this one. Manufactured 5/76. I bought the lot and changed over to DO bodywork immediately. I have the original SS in the "climate/humidity" controlled basement and can make the switch any time I'd like if the mood strikes. See photo below.

At that same rally back in '78 I saw a Motorsport. Only 200 produced in that color scheme. King of the mountain. I remember the ad in the mags back in the day with a man astride his blue and silver '79 on top of a mountain replete with cool denim riding gear and Arai full face helmet with smoke shield surveying his kingdom. The ad suggested that "for one shining moment, stop compromising". The R100RS was only for the chosen few and "would I be one of those few"? Absolutely not!... for $4900+ bucks! Too rich for my blood, but drool I did! Once again, I was smitten and just kept day dreaming. :) So back to the present. In 2014, I attended the 40th R90S Sport Owners Club rally in Buckingham, PA and the event coordinator, Todd, said he was planning another event for 2017, celebrating the arrival of the R100RS 40 years prior as well. (Just an aside but that rally in Buckingham was R90S NIRVANA! Many dignitaries attended... Hans Muth, Udo Geitl, Todd Schuster, Reg Pridmore, Gary Fisher, Tom Cutter, just to name a few. I got lots of posters signed and even the bike too.) So, I went on the Sport Club Forum and, without too much thought, suggested to anyone reading that I'd consider purchasing an R100RS with, say, less than 50K miles to take to the 2017 rally. Why not, right? Within the day a fellow emails me that he has a low mileage RS for sale and was I interested? I said tell me more and send a couple of pictures. So he tells me he's got a clean title, original owner, RS with 17,588 miles. Hadn't been ridden in 24 years and he included the below picture. Let's just say my heart rate quickened when I saw the image. I emailed back and said they were Motorsport colors and had the bike been repainted? He got back to me that, indeed, it was an original Motorsport... no repaint. He wasn't looking for much money as it hadn't been running in a while and would need a mechanical overhaul. I know a Certified Master Mechanic in Greensburg, PA, not too far from me. He can get through anything. So, me thinks, how long would it take me to decide to buy an original '78 Motorsport with 17,588 miles in pristine condition for less than the original asking price when the bike was new. Oooooooooooh, about 2 seconds! Bike was seen in person and deposit placed within the week.;) I'm the second owner. I'm feeling blessed here!!!!!!! I took it to Hamburg last July and took 3rd place in the peoples choice awards. I'm a very fortunate fellow, don't I know, and I'm not taking it for granted. I am simply a steward of what I believe are significant BMW's from days gone past. I'm sure they will both outlast me but I'm thoroughly enjoying them now while I can.

There 'ya have it. That's the short story made longer. If you stayed in it to this point, I hope you're not disappointed. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• photo (280)a.jpg
    photo (280)a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC05288a.jpg
    DSC05288a.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 220
thank you

once again, thank you , re the "D O" in your story I asume that stands for Daytona orange, what does the SS stand for? , I owned an R90S way back in 1976 when I lived in N Ireland ,it was "TT smoke" black/ silver ,it also was the last of the /6 models with o rings in the cylinders,another one that got away , best of luck ,Jimmy:ca PS ,just figured it out SS equals, silver smoke !!am I right?, being Irish it does take a while,again best of luck, Jimmy

Last edited:
Back