• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

1978 R100 with mods

Many unseen mods, like Siebenrock pistons/cylinders, 77 RS motor, upgraded swingarm, etc. Also Delortos, fork brace, S fairing. Over 100K on frame.

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

Some S bars and peanut valve covers are my next plans, and maybe paint someday. I do like the patina of the original paint, though, but that's only on the tank and rear fender.

Last edited:
motorcycles are like potato chips, it's hard to have just one. here is my second airhead, 1978 R 100 S, with dealer installed fairing, the original sport tourer. :)

Attachments

• P1000021a.jpg
    P1000021a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 270
  • P1000017a.jpg
    P1000017a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 268
Cool touring S. This was a more common setup from that era than a lot of BMW riders are aware of.
I have a thing for /6's, especially '74s. Your's is really cool, with perfect patina.:thumb

motorcycles are like potato chips, it's hard to have just one. here is my second airhead, 1978 R 100 S, with dealer installed fairing, the original sport tourer. :)

This bike, the; '78 R100S Touring was featured in a couple of Cycle World magazines back in '78. BMW R100S Test. June 1978. All Dressed up and no Place to go. Nov. '78. this is also in a soft back book. 'Cycle World ON BMW.' ISBN 1 869826 558 The bike was imported sans S fairing. Came with USA handle bars and the 2 accessory gauges mounted next to and on either side of the instrument cluster. the Luftmeister fairing was usually added by the dealer. Kinda neat.

That's just the Airheads. I don't collect; I accumulate. :dunno

You're quite right. I had four (three not BMW's) and sold all but the airhead to help finance a P car. I'm happy with that decision, as the car turned out to be a very good one.

There has been a couple of guys who shoehorned some 4 cylinder Porsche engines in BMW frames, similar to those that did the Volkswagen engine conversion.

Just finished 2 days of camping and riding 650mi on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. My 2 buddies were on their Triumphs, the R90/6 is mine.
IMG_5891.jpgIMG_5910.jpgIMG_5918.jpg

Back