• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

three 78s

Three years ago I decided I needed a project bike. Picked up the S in Fort Collins Colorado in 2009. It was a "garage find", hadn't moved since 1988. Next was the RS Motorsport in 2009, it was barely running, in need of a total tear down. The last one (just finished today) is the 78 "gold-tastic" one, (an original metallic gold RS). It was in green plastic tubs for almost 6 years (some parts were destroyed in fire, some lost) before I got ahold of it. Since the white one will be gone in 30 days and the red smoke S may be gone soon, thought it a good idea to get a pic of all three together.

I'm stuck in 1978!! Love to work on these old airheads.

Attachments

• 1978 BMW Motorcycles 12-30-11 015.jpg
    1978 BMW Motorcycles 12-30-11 015.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 984
boster12

You turned three old airheads, probably all destined for the local land fill, back to new condition. Future owners will enjoy these beautiful machines for another 34 years! Well done my friend!!

Happy New Year!

Nice Trio

Three years ago I decided I needed a project bike. Picked up the S in Fort Collins Colorado in 2009. It was a "garage find", hadn't moved since 1988. Next was the RS Motorsport in 2009, it was barely running, in need of a total tear down. The last one (just finished today) is the 78 "gold-tastic" one, (an original metallic gold RS). It was in green plastic tubs for almost 6 years (some parts were destroyed in fire, some lost) before I got ahold of it. Since the white one will be gone in 30 days and the red smoke S may be gone soon, thought it a good idea to get a pic of all three together.

Beutiful Trio - I'd keep'em all!!!!! I also love those old airheads:thumb

Mike
Green Bay, WI Title Town
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

You should keep them all !! Forever !!!

New to me R75/5.

TT-Red-001-L.jpg

With my buddy's R75/5. He left his here last fall and I have the privilege of holding on to it until he can get down here to pick it up. Too much fun.

TT-Red-007-L.jpg

Great SWB / LWB comparison photo!

I've never noticed how the leading edge of the rear fender on the SWB (red) is hidden by the battery covers. And the added 52mm, from the top shock mount to the sub-frame down tube, is also obvious.

The SWB must '72 - early '73?

Do you notice any difference in the way they handle?

Yes, the red one is a 1972. It seems like the SWB is a bit quicker in the turns, but that could just be me expecting it to be that way. I did not get to spend a lot of time on her today. It will be fun to compare the two over the next few weeks (hopefully months).

Having come off a 2004 RT and 2000 RS one of the first things I noticed was how far forward I feel on the bike. No fairing or windshield. You really feel "out there". Kind of cool. Kind of crazy.

Thanks for the compliment. I really like the 78 airheads, especially the RS. The lines on this model are just great, and easy to work on. The MS will be gone tomorrow, sold to a guy in California. The S may be gone soon. The gold one may be a keeper.

Regards

Bert
Not a bad place to be stuck! My favorite era of BMW motorcycles! That is one impressive line up!!!

View attachment 30787

This mall and this Airhead were built within a month of each other in 1972. At one time this was the biggest mall in the Richmond area. I worked here for a few years in the early 1980's. Some sort of complex featuring a Kroger will replace the old mall.

Cloverleaf-Mall-007-L.jpg

Cloverleaf-Mall-008-L.jpg

In 1973, who would have thought the /5 would out live the mall.

In 1973, who would have thought the /5 would out live the mall.[/QUOTE]
That bike will probably out live you and me both. :brow:groovy:D

My two favorite rides:

My 76 (yes it is!) RS and my 94 RS in th background.

Attachments

• 76 RS[1].jpg
    76 RS[1].jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,055
Boyhood Home of Steve McQueen Slater Missouri

R80RT on an Adventure Rider Tag mission.

Attachments

• Steve McQueen home.jpg
    Steve McQueen home.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 902
Back