• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

I am very fortunate to be holding this bike for a friend until he can pick it up. I am suggesting he come down here next May. :) I have owned a couple of Oilheads. This is giving me a new perspective on Airheads. What a wonderful ride.

2011-10-2315-21-16782-XL.jpg

Dave's '84 R80ST

At the risk of all kinds of grief about the baggy fork boots (Hey! They're ATV boots and the price was right! They look fine with someone onboard. . . ) here's my '84 R80ST . . .it took me 3 months and more $ than I want to admit to put her right but rides like a dream now, and not a single complaint from her over about 5,000 miles since I brought her back. This wasnt a full rebuild, just a tired and cosmetically rough old girl when I found her earlier this year. . ..needed alot of TLC but nothing major. I've since replaced the goofy scooter screen (what can I say. . it was hanging in my barn . .) with a smaller bullet screen. I suppose the next time I have the sliders off I'll put proper boots on. . .
Dave

Attachments

• FliegendeTeppichSmall.jpg
    FliegendeTeppichSmall.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 780
And my newest bad habit

Also in kinda rough shape when I found her, I got this '81 R100 hack rig a few months after I got the R80ST above .. . that's a velorex car. She hadnt really been on the road for a few years and needed alot of elbow grease and many bits and pieces (still needs a few). Running fine and up to date mechanically now, so I can live with the tank dents and smudges for awhile. Notice from the previous post the scooter screen has found its way over to the tug. . . .I'm done buying parts for awhile.

Airheads may be a bit of a sickness but there are worse diseases out there.

Dave

Attachments

• FliegendeSargSmall.jpg
    FliegendeSargSmall.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 777
At the risk of all kinds of grief about the baggy fork boots (Hey! They're ATV boots and the price was right! They look fine with someone onboard. . . ) here's my '84 R80ST . . .it took me 3 months and more $ than I want to admit to put her right but rides like a dream now, and not a single complaint from her over about 5,000 miles since I brought her back. This wasnt a full rebuild, just a tired and cosmetically rough old girl when I found her earlier this year. . ..needed alot of TLC but nothing major. I've since replaced the goofy scooter screen (what can I say. . it was hanging in my barn . .) with a smaller bullet screen. I suppose the next time I have the sliders off I'll put proper boots on. . .
Dave

dwyandell,

I think the screen in the picture looks fine. Can you tell me anything about it? Manufacturer? Model? For sale?

Mike
Thanks. The screen is a Slipstreamer Spitfire I think and they are pretty inexpensive; for now it is staying on the R100 tug until I find something I like better but they're available online. Someone told me it looked like a scooter schield so maybe I am being a little too sensitive. . .
The hack had a stock velorex shield, very high and straight up, and battered up. . . I made the half shield from some hardware store 1/8" plexi.
Dave

explaination of above...
I cut down a crash damaged RT fairing into the 'modified Sport' fairing seen above....I actually like it (seems shocking at first...almost sacralege) but the bike is noticeably less top heavy and seem not so 'pregnant'. Still get good wind protection....
(and before you pick up rocks to stone me, I still have the full stock fairing ready as needed)

roaddogslash7 - you've referenced your HTML blog page...you need to link to a JPG or BMP file or the like for this to work.

explaination of above...
I cut down a crash damaged RT fairing into the 'modified Sport' fairing seen above....I actually like it (seems shocking at first...almost sacralege) but the bike is noticeably less top heavy and seem not so 'pregnant'. Still get good wind protection....
(and before you pick up rocks to stone me, I still have the full stock fairing ready as needed)

I kinda like it. I like the idea of experimenting with it instead of just throwing it away.

kinda looks like a Guzzi now. :brow

cut down RT

That cut down RT fairing looks a lot like the old Rifle fairing of the early '80's. I had one and don't for the life of me remember why I got rid of it...

Mac

Back