• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

I stand corrected...

wun640.jpg

I stand corrected...

wun640.jpg

I believe you're in fact partially correct. The front / back ear reflectors, as I understand it, were a requirement for sales in the US.

Most folks it seemed quickly removed after for looks or for simplifying the installation of an aftermarket fairing.

When I got the bike it didn't have these. But after nearly getting side-swiped I thought a little extra reflector might not be a bad idea ;)

--e

So it would appear that a some point in 1971 the small side reflectors mounted on the outboard edge of the turn signal housings morphed into 3" diameter.

Flickr image; owner unknown.
189609956_287b6dc15f_b.jpg

So it would appear that a some point in 1971 the small side reflectors mounted on the outboard edge of the turn signal housings morphed into 3" diameter.
I believe this is correct - '71. SWMBO's '73 SWB toaster has the large ear-mounted reflectors.

My understanding is that the small reflectors on the turn signals is 1971 only. They are, however, appealing in the aesthetic sense. This makes then rare and valuable merchandise at swap meets.

im bad
I removed my reflectors, even the fork ones.
the rears wee hidden behind the "saddlebags" and the fork ones, one was cracked and I like the cleaner "euro" look

Lucky, I NEED those carburetor clamps on my /5!!! Are they stainless?

These are 35yo OG clamps, cleaned and run on the buffer:

BMW372.jpg

They are chromed steel, unless they are some sort of magic magnetic stainless. And much of the 35 years was right here on the coast, like you in Pismo. You may have your shiny clamps already, just need to bring it out.

You may have your shiny clamps already, just need to bring it out.

33 years in In Pismo Beach, living within a half mile of beach, hasn't left anything to come out. Everything suffers from the salt air ... even the tools inside my roller cabinet, especially ones that don't get used often, are prone.

I painted the clamps this time. We'll see how long that holds up...

500,000 miles

I had to take a picture!

500,000 miles on my 1977 R100RS

Bought it with 68,000 miles on it.

Attachments

• DSC02222.jpg
    DSC02222.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 742
went to look at a r1200c and came home with this a few weeks ago. tucked into the corner of a lower garage/basement. not ridden for 5+ years. i'm the third owner, 8100 miles.
long overdue servicing, some new bits, and back on the road.
DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

Back