• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

1978 r100s

I bought this bike three years ago with a big ole Luftmeister fairing on it and a funky faded red paint job. It languished in the corner of the garage while I worked on other projects. I sold my cafe airhead, but I think this will be a good replacement.

Attachments

• BMW R100S.jpg
    BMW R100S.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 651
1977 r100rs #6181043

1977 r100rs, 18k original miles, recently completely gone through: carbs rebuilt by Bing, new tires, front brakes, points, plugs, condensor, coils, prt seals, etc.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 636
Is there anyway you could try to verify if this is your friends old bike? Really don't have any history on the bike, rumored to have in excess of 300M miles.

I moved a way from Santa Cruz almost 12 years ago and he had not ridden the bike in many years prior to that. Does the bike have gold colored clip ons?

My first Airhead

Now the fun begins. Found a Velorex Sidecar I'm going to attach. Bike hadn't been started in a couple of years. Got in running in a couple of hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 527
Sorry to burst your optimistic bubble, but that's not original paint. There should be decals on the battery covers and there should be pinstriping on the tank and fenders.
Yah, just revisited this thread to point that out. No worries, I'm stripping / repainting it anyway, so no real attachment to the 'original paint' concept.

I'm not going for an original rest, more of a refresh. It's a surprise gift for a friend who used to own it.

1973 R75/5. New paint, tires, mufflers. Original seat. 34,xxx original miles.
Two owner bike. Frame needs new paint. Needs new seat and nearly every cable, etc. Been working on it for some time now. Might have it restored this winter. Well, Maybe.
1st_Place.jpg

Love the bike!!!!! Tell me what the black piece is on the valve cover? Does it keep that nut from vibrating off?:scratch

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Tell me what the black piece is on the valve cover? Does it keep that nut from vibrating off?

I saw that as a throwback to older valve cover designs where the covers were split between intake and exhaust. The valve covers on my R25/2 are exactly like this with a "bar" used to hold each cover in place. On my bike, there's no 10mm nut on the back side...it's just the bar across both of the covers.

Very sharp, thought about the powder on the exhaust not working after I posted it.

Just curious, how much does that exhaust coating cost?

Sorry I do not know. The guy I built the bike for brought them to me.

Love the bike!!!!! Tell me what the black piece is on the valve cover? Does it keep that nut from vibrating off?:scratch

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

They are part of the Siebenrock 3 piece valve covers.

Will be a while until this one is done and ready to be given to my buddy - Leo Goff will be rebuilding the top end and ensuring it's otherwise mechanically perfect (but can't get to it until at least December) and quite a bit of aesthetic stuff needs to happen, but today I nuked the ugly / loud bugle pipes that came on it:

pipes_bugle.JPG

and put some factory pipes back on it (well, Emgos) - these will be JetHot coated in black while Leo has the bike in December:

pipes_factory.JPG

Sounds so much better, and runs better. I'm betting whoever put the bugles on didn't rejet the carbs. Sounds like a nice sewing machine now.

Still trying to figure out what to do about the seat - considering a solo, but also considering a factory seat as well as a corbin. Def going to go mildly 'cafe racer' with it, lots of matte black.

Back