• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

Since everyone is pilling on... :buds

The front turn signals are incorrect for is bike. You have the older aluminum bodied style which were on the '70 to '74 models (and a few early '75 models). The good news is that the aluminum turn signals are NLA (repos are) and you could easily sell/trade them for the black plastic ones (still available from BMW) and pocket the difference.

It does seem like something bad happened to it in the past, enough to damage the tank, seat, and a few other minor things. Don't let it bother you, there are lots of "muts" on the road.

I can't make out what seat that is, but didn't the "S" have a cowling around the rear of the seat like the RS and RT?

Here's a bunch of R100S pictures. http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr100s.htm

Took most of my life, but finally got my first airhead classic. 1978 R100S w/51K miles. Now to learn everything about it...

View attachment 36688

It's a great looking bike

Took most of my life, but finally got my first airhead classic. 1978 R100S w/51K miles. Now to learn everything about it...

View attachment 36688

I think you got a sweet looking machine, a great airhead, congrats on your first airhead it's a great adventure. Your gonna have a blast if you love tinkering and playing around with machines they are the ones to have, congratulations on the acquisition. Enjoy:wave

You've got disc brakes all around --duals in the front (good thing) and a really comfortable seat -- more useful for packing a companion
than the origional S seat.(and less prone to scratching the paint when you strap a big bag to it)...and low bars and proper bags. If it runs and handles...it's a treasure. The only BMW's that look like they came from the factory are entered in Concours events. If you have problems....this is the place for answers. If you don't...head directly to "Campfire" and the jokes...

Mac

Here's a picture of my '75 R75/6, currently with 218,000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 534
My refreshed 1995 R100 Mystik

My new paint job was inspired by the BMW Special European Paint on some of the Mystiks overseas. My dog wanted different colors.

Attachments

• reduced 005.jpg
    reduced 005.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 687
On the Blue Ridge Parkway

To the Gathering of the Clans in North Carolina.

Nick - Yorktown VA
78 R100S
91 R100RT
93 K75S

Attachments

• DSC03580.jpg
    DSC03580.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 645
Crusty rejuvinated.............

In December 2011 I brought home a 1973 R75/5 SWB that hadn't run in quite a few years.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 636
crusty rejuvinated..............

After a little over a year the R75 has grown to be a LWB and is finally ready for the road.

Attachments

• IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 632
Since everyone is pilling on... :buds

The front turn signals are incorrect for is bike. You have the older aluminum bodied style which were on the '70 to '74 models (and a few early '75 models). The good news is that the aluminum turn signals are NLA (repos are) and you could easily sell/trade them for the black plastic ones (still available from BMW) and pocket the difference.

It does seem like something bad happened to it in the past, enough to damage the tank, seat, and a few other minor things. Don't let it bother you, there are lots of "muts" on the road.

I can't make out what seat that is, but didn't the "S" have a cowling around the rear of the seat like the RS and RT?

Here's a bunch of R100S pictures. http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr100s.htm

You guys have sharp eyes, and are validating my same suspicions. The bike didn't look like any other S models of that era I had seen, although the VIN (frame & engine) does check as a '78 R100S (really, that means '77, right?). The tank does look /6, although I've since seen other S bikes w/same tank. Although it didn't come w/the S-fairing (anyone have one for sale?), there are still mounts on the fork for one. And I would have preferred the rear cowling. It is a mutt, for sure and I agree something not so good probably happened to it. When I raised these questions with my local Airheads group, the consensus was a resounding, "meh".

WRT to the important issue - how does it run? Well, its been cold here so I've only had it out a half-dozen times since purchase, but I'd have to say pretty sweet. It vibrates more than I expected and my clutch and shifting have room for improvement. Takes a bit longer to warm up than I do, and always seems at its best just when put away.

I've since attended a tech day strip-down of a R90/6 and am now looking for a restoration project of my own. I gots the airhead bug bite, bad.

Europe sees bikes one year early, and year of manufacture is usully year previous to listed year. '78 was first year with hinged shifter set up, '77 and earlier had one-piece shifter; yours has the hinged one. its been thru a crash, and then re-done,,, but does appear to be a 1978.

Welcome aboard Bil. We're riding pretty much the same bike, down to the Brown's side stand.

Where did you score your tank cover? I haven't seen any like it for years. I have a not-so-pretty big tank that it would be the perfect cure for.

Not mine, found the photo on another forum. Some interesting modifications...

i-kV6zxnn.jpg

if by "interesting" you mean "ugly, Euro-chopper aberrations", then yeah, sure.

As ridiculous as all that crap looks, there is no doubt that a Beemer makes for a better chopper than a Harley does. Not to mention the ability to run for 25 miles without something falling off of it.

Finally doing some shakedown rides after the long slumber this bike has been in. Trying to roll the odometer to 21K this week.
did a ride w/out the sidecases which were not on the bike when I rescued it...bolted them on to see if it works for me. The Windjammer is def not going back on.

Attachments

• P1260160.jpg
    P1260160.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 501
The previous days first ride past my gate since this 74 75/6 got a new start after many many years of sitting in the barn.

Attachments

• P1240141.jpg
    P1240141.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 499
Back