• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

This is a picture of our latest addition to the BMW collection. It came home on a trailer in the rain. Next day it went in the lower garage to start going over after sitting for several years. 1974 R90/6 with 48,XXX on it.

Frank said it was to make up for selling an R75 that came in on trade about 30 years ago. I liked the bike and he sold it to a friend (who still owns it.):brow

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 802
Somewhat different /7 with the dual front brakes and S fairing.

Attachments

• my R100.JPG
    my R100.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 735
bosssidecar00141.jpg

Here is my 1991 EML that has been heavily modified.
-Custom rear drum brake with 15" Centerline wheel
-Works Performance rear shock w/ 7" of travel mated to a modified dual swingarm. The shocks is mounted in the center of the frame.
-K1100 4 piston calipers and discs
-AC delco 90 alternatior belt driven off of the crank
-It now has dual R65 headlights and a small clear windscreen(no more KRS fairing)
-3 x 10" Hella driving lights- almost 3 miles of light
-Koni shocks front and on the sidecar
-Chang Jiang sidecar body with custom made working door and windscreen
-front and rear racks on the sidecar
-car battery
-heated grips
-91 R100GS engine and transmision
-Hepco & Becker aluminum saddlebags
-2/1 exhaust from a R100R
and.......

Last edited:
my 1994 R100RT naked (Tom Cutter's step Daugther)

Many upgrades done by Master Tom Cutter in the pass 2 years (all documented)
My daily ride here in NYC (sunny or raining , hot or freezing)
I am going to put this baby for sell soon I am thinking about going K75 flying brick.

Attachments

• R100 winter NYC.jpg
    R100 winter NYC.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 652
R100 with style

I shot this picture today here in Williamsburg Brooklyn NYC
Side cover are off but I have then in storage. Faring was sold here on the MOA flea market.

Attachments

• R100 back view.jpg
    R100 back view.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 971
One of my two airdeads

1965 R69S, restored by me in 1996, upgrades of various types done over the years since then.
Sees about 1000-2000 miles of riding a year, including an annual trip with two other R69 owners.
Still gets the job done, and we've discovered within the last couple of years that they're just as much fun on forest service roads as a modern GS!

(picture taken in May, 2008 just after it's annual washing)

Attachments

• resized00016.jpg
    resized00016.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 917
Here it is right after I restored it. That little girl just turned 19 last month!
Gives an idea of the items I've added over the years. This bike used to be my primary 2-wheeled transportation. Now it's just a toy/hobby.

k-on-beemer.jpg

oop, sorry. Didn't read the subtext under the forum name. (I'm new here). 1970 and later.

Ok, here's a pic of my "airhead", 1982 R100RT beater. Basic transportation.

snowbankcascadelkshwy25-22.jpg

Same bike with "convertible" RS fairing I installed last spring. (a lot easier to do than you'd think)

pict0010.jpg

Last edited:
... we've discovered within the last couple of years that they're just as much fun on forest service roads as a modern GS!

because when these motorcycles were designed most roads were like forest service roads.

:thumb

Same bike with "convertible" RS fairing I installed last spring. (a lot easier to do than you'd think)

Probably the hardest part was the handlebar and controls and cables?

:thumb :thumb

Probably the hardest part was the handlebar and controls and cables?

:thumb :thumb

The cables were easy. A bit of creative re-routing, and the existing cables and brake line were just fine.
The hardest part was getting the RT "gloveboxes" out of the way. I've decided to leave them off to facilitate conversion between RT and RS spec.

I just converted it back to RT spec for winter commuting. Took about 2-3 hours of actual work time, although I spent a week doing it so I could address a few issues under the fairing and fuel tank that needed attention.

Here's Zippy. A few years ago, some 'kid' dropped this '71 /5 off at Wilbur's shop to get her back on the road. It had a 1991 license plate. Wilbur got it running, but the kid never came back to pay for the work. The bike sat there and I kept asking Wilbur what was going on with it.

Fast forward to the summer of '08. My son was looking for his first bike and was interested in finding an old BMW. I thought of this bike for him and gave Wilbur a call. Wilbur did a title search on it and got a mechanic's lein. Found out that the /5 was orphaned in a divorce. The wife sold the bike to some kid. Wilbur told the wife and her ex that he needed over $8K for the work he'd done to it and storage fees for all those years. They signed off the title. My son and I paid Wilbur for what he had into her and for a few modifications. (She had Ape Hangers on her!!) I rode her for a few days and had a blast. Fun little bike!

My son came up form Florida and we rode back down together; me on my K and him on the /5. She made it just fine.

My boy is a poor grad student and the /5 showed her age with a few nagging problems. When the final drive started leaking around the drain plug, he threw in the towel. He found a '03 Thumper and sold the /5 back to me.

Zippy is still in Florida. I'll need to go rescue her one of these days. I plan to use her for a back-up bike, but hope to restore her to her fine self and learn how to be a real Airhead!

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 867
I went to school to with a kid named Frank Buttons, his nickname was Zippy. Zippy Buttons. I allways thought it had a ring to it.

Vetter-ectomy to RT Complete

Finally got around to completing the conversion of my 1983 R100 to an R100RT. Pulled the Vetter Windjammer V of and converted to an RT. The lowers were modified by the PO so there is no need to remove the headers to take them off. The trailing edges were cut. I smoothed them before I had the whole thing painted. Also had the rear fender, side covers and Luftmeister saddle tanks painted.

A new tinted windshield from ClearView is next and a leather Corbin (this one is getting pretty worn out).

I'd be interested in pinstriping/no pinstriping opinions. And if I should pinstripe it, what color(s).

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 662
Very nice job,she looks beautiful. I would pinstripe the bike. Blue or white.. Those valve covers look nice,did you repaint them?
George

Finally got around to completing the conversion of my 1983 R100 to an R100RT. Pulled the Vetter Windjammer V of and converted to an RT. The lowers were modified by the PO so there is no need to remove the headers to take them off. The trailing edges were cut. I smoothed them before I had the whole thing painted. Also had the rear fender, side covers and Luftmeister saddle tanks painted.

A new tinted windshield from ClearView is next and a leather Corbin (this one is getting pretty worn out).

I'd be interested in pinstriping/no pinstriping opinions. And if I should pinstripe it, what color(s).

Nice bike Tony! And good job on the work you've done. George suggests blue or white pinstripes and I agree.
JD

yeah, definitely needs striping- that is just too much black. Light blue, white (or both together, ala motorsport styling) or gold. Red could do it too.

My R100/7t

I've been through many bikes over the years, my first one being a Lambretta Scooter. Prior to this I had a Yamaha Venture 1200, which was my first shaft drive bike. This one is new to me, and I am at least the third owner, possibly fourth or fifth. Just joined BMWMOA because of the various technical forums I've read. I do not know a lot about BMWs except I recall drooling on them as a young teen ager.

Attachments

• IMG00019-20091123-0738.jpg
    IMG00019-20091123-0738.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Very nice job,she looks beautiful. I would pinstripe the bike. Blue or white.. Those valve covers look nice,did you repaint them?
George
Yes, I bead blasted the valve covers, they were in pretty rough shape. Then two coats of engine enamel followed by 3 coats of bumper paint. Cooked them on bricks atop my woodburning stove, then rubbed them with Mother's to get a little sheen.

Nice bike Tony! And good job on the work you've done. George suggests blue or white pinstripes and I agree.
JD
Ok, that was a suggestion TricycleRob made too.

yeah, definitely needs striping- that is just too much black. Light blue, white (or both together, ala motorsport styling) or gold. Red could do it too.
The original pinstriping was white with a small red (common on R100's I've seen). I am leaning towards white with blue.

No rush though, put about 100 miles on it today just because a week ago we had all that snow. It felt good and these things sure like the cooler temps. Ran like a clock...er, once I cleaned the left float needle and cleaned my boot off. :burnout

Back