• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

my 1971 R75/5...somewhere in Yukon Canada

my 1971 R75/5...somewhere in Yukon Canada

Attachments

• DSC04607.jpg
    DSC04607.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 874
black parts installed

riding.jpg

She started off as a poor unsuspecting R80ST.
Rear fender, 24l GS gastank, high front fender. More to come...

They are black powder coated aluminum boxes,

I think, maybe, criminaldesign might be looking for a bit more specific information about them... like, who makes them, is there a model number, where did you buy them....

I think, maybe, criminaldesign might be looking for a bit more specific information about them... like, who makes them, is there a model number, where did you buy them....

Lew is correct.

My side cases still work but I'd love to throw on something a bit more sturdy and sure. I think they're getting to the point of needing straps.

Besides the specifics Lew pointed out, what about the mounting system?

Shoot me a PM if you don't mind.

Thanks Chris, Houston

Sorry about that. They were originally Hepco & Becker 38 liter standard aluminum bags. I'm in the process of modifying the way they attach to the bike because the latches always break. I took them apart including cutting out the lid seal and had them powder coated 80% gloss black. I only used these because it was something I had lying around from another bike project. Not sure that I could recommend the quality as well you have to lift the seat straight off without the hinges to access your tool tray even with the bags and rear rack removed. They do look cool!

Just bought this baby

I just bought this baby, a rather rare and beautiful '83 R80ST, perfect for the twisty mountain roads I love. She's on a truck now, headed to her new home in Colorado.

url=http://uhuru.smugmug.com/Other/Bills-1983-BMW-R80-st/16819239_KCSXHR#1269279714_sD87qQK-A-LB]
bill%27s%2080st.2-M.jpg
[/url]

...excellent purchase!

I just bought this baby, a rather rare and beautiful '83 R80ST, perfect for the twisty mountain roads I love. She's on a truck now, headed to her new home in Colorado.

url=http://uhuru.smugmug.com/Other/Bills-1983-BMW-R80-st/16819239_KCSXHR#1269279714_sD87qQK-A-LB]
bill%27s%2080st.2-M.jpg
[/url]

My 76 R90/6 on the right, Diann's 77 R60/7 in front of our tent at the 2006 MOA Rally in Vermont.......Rod.

Attachments

• Our Rally Home.jpg
    Our Rally Home.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 772
My real True Love. Not much to look at but I will never get rid of this bike. Purchased it new in 1978. A 1978 R100/7 "Special". This bike has taken me from So.Cal. to nearly every state in the union with never a mechanical break-down. She's as strong as a jackhammer and seems to get better and smoother with every mile. I've never even considered a sound system to tour with - I can't think of a more beautiful sound than those 500cc jugs effortlessly dancing in perfect harmony down so many beautiful country roads from West Coast to East Coast. After so many years together it's a relationship that is never in question or lacking in respect and trust. Some things just work.

Attachments

• 78 R100 002.jpg
    78 R100 002.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 739
My real True Love. Not much to look at but I will never get rid of this bike. Purchased it new in 1978. A 1978 R100/7 "Special". This bike has taken me from So.Cal. to nearly every state in the union with never a mechanical break-down. She's as strong as a jackhammer and seems to get better and smoother with every mile. I've never even considered a sound system to tour with - I can't think of a more beautiful sound than those 500cc jugs effortlessly dancing in perfect harmony down so many beautiful country roads from West Coast to East Coast. After so many years together it's a relationship that is never in question or lacking in respect and trust. Some things just work.

very nice story. loved my 78 also and it was bullet proof too

Beautiful bike, Mike. And I second your thoughts. Running down the road with that engine just purring makes me smile. I love motorcycles and appreciate a great many of them, but still prefer an Airhead Boxer to any of them.If you are ever out this way (New Mes), give me a holler

Back