• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a pic of your Airhead

just joined

For aesthetic reasons, I would like to get rid of the rack in the back. To me, Naked is best. But. It is really convenient for hauling stuff around. It is amazing what you can bungee onto that rack. Gives me lots of reasons to ride to the store.

As to the "Last Edition" sideplates. I was told by the PO, who is a ceritfied airhut nut, that the factory decided that 1983 was to be the last of the line, and put out the "Last Edition" for some of the 1983 models, but then changed its mind and made the 1984 models the last edition, angering some who bought the 1983 as a last edition. Whatever. I don't care.

today's find

Had a call from a fellow wanting to clean out some of his dads things the other day. Went to "look" today and brought this home.
1973 /5 SWB with a 900 kit and 58K on the odometer. The PO had not been able to ride since '95 and the bike hasn't moved since.P9300117.jpg
P9300128.jpg

Not as clean as the low mileage /6 we rescued last year, but overall looks decent.
Spent the evening taking the Vetter off as well as the rear rack to see what's hiding under all of that. The tank was the worst issue so far and will need re-coated...I still smell that lovely stale fuel hours later.

The headlight and ring are missing behind the Vetter, but the internals don't look bad at all in spite of being open . The /6 was intact.

I got a lot of extras...a brand new set of OEM mufflers still in the boxes being part of that. Chuckled at the prices I found on the spare oil filters...$1.89.

Let the fun begin:laugh

Bike Week in Daytona

On my way from Pittsburgh to Daytona for bike week a few years back I got stuck in a snow storm, had to put my bike in the motel room to defrost, in the end I found paradise at the B Cubed campsite in Bunell, FLA.

Attachments

• Snow ****.jpg
    Snow ****.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 452
  • Don't tell maid.jpg
    Don't tell maid.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 450
  • camp 2.jpg
    camp 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 453
Had a call from a fellow wanting to clean out some of his dads things the other day. Went to "look" today and brought this home.
1973 /5 SWB with a 900 kit and 58K on the odometer. The PO had not been able to ride since '95 and the bike hasn't moved since.View attachment 41925
View attachment 41924

Not as clean as the low mileage /6 we rescued last year, but overall looks decent.
Spent the evening taking the Vetter off as well as the rear rack to see what's hiding under all of that. The tank was the worst issue so far and will need re-coated...I still smell that lovely stale fuel hours later.

The headlight and ring are missing behind the Vetter, but the internals don't look bad at all in spite of being open . The /6 was intact.

I got a lot of extras...a brand new set of OEM mufflers still in the boxes being part of that. Chuckled at the prices I found on the spare oil filters...$1.89.

Let the fun begin:laugh

Are you sure the lamp and ring were not on the fairing? As I recall my r80/7 had the same configuration and all I had to do is take the lamp from the fairing and install it on the shell??? Same thing for the blinkers.

Interesting machine. What size tank is that...it's not the stock /7 tank. Also, unless it's the angle of the photos, the valve covers are on the wrong side...those lines on the outside of the cover should go straight from carb to exhaust header.

What size tank is that...it's not the stock /7 tank.

Looks like a "stock" /5 or /6 6.3 gallon.

FULLFILE-2006.jpg

1982 R100CS back on the road!

After 4 weeks of Blood, Sweat, and Beers she's back on the road! First time she's been riden since July,1998! Purrs like a Lion...
R100CS1.jpgR100CS3.jpgR100CS4.jpg

After 4 weeks of Blood, Sweat, and Beers she's back on the road! First time she's been riden since July,1998! Purrs like a Lion...

Looks fantastic! Well done. You'll get a lot of enjoyment from all your hard work.

R100cs

Thanks Ron! I hope you noticed your contribution. That was actually installed this morning with 3M Extreme 20LB mounting tape. Out of everything on this bike, that little cowl badge would be the hardest to have to replace. Looking forward to many years and many miles on this one.

Are you sure the lamp and ring were not on the fairing? As I recall my r80/7 had the same configuration and all I had to do is take the lamp from the fairing and install it on the shell??? Same thing for the blinkers.

On all the Windjammers I've pulled off, that wasn't the case. Then again, mine had integral turn signals. Looks like his has the airheads original turn signals.. so I wonder if the headlight ring could be used. (It looks like his other project bike (with a Windjammer II) is the same way.) Man, I wish I'd get that lucky. Those parts aren't cheap.

On all the Windjammers I've pulled off, that wasn't the case. Then again, mine had integral turn signals. Looks like his has the airheads original turn signals.. so I wonder if the headlight ring could be used. (It looks like his other project bike (with a Windjammer II) is the same way.) Man, I wish I'd get that lucky. Those parts aren't cheap.

Luftmiester fairings used the OEM headlight and turn signals. Those owners who purchased Vetter usually lost the original parts since Windjammers did not use the original parts.

Nice work on that CS.The S and CS are my favorite of the Airheads.I may convert my '78 RS to an S over the winter.

Attachments

• P1000732.jpg
    P1000732.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 393
Back