• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

I'm thinking that all black frames is a decision made by the manufacturer to help reduce the the cost. All frames going to a paint line running black would be faster and therefore less expensive than keeping frames and body parts all together for paint work.

Having seen a few airheads with paint matched frames, I think it is very hard to make it look right. Maybe because the frame is less visible on an airhead than a pre-1970 bike. Maybe because we are just so accustemed to seeing the airhead with a black frame.

I'm thinking that all black frames is a decision made by the manufacturer to help reduce the the cost.

That's absolutely the reasoning WnS. It's just that the "whole thing" looks more unified when the colors are all the same .... just my opinion.

edit - With respect, and credit, to the owners of these bikes (I don't know who they are); granted, the first two are custom bikes, without the side covers, but I think that the overall appearance of an airhead is enhanced by the mono-color paint scheme. The black-frame is a cost cutting practice, but I think the product(s) are the lesser for it.

708_Willies-Packard-BMW_Bike_049.jpg

Slash5_IMG_0266.jpg

Stock (the only paint scheme that retained the /2 et al, mono-color theme).
318035821_o.jpg

CC Cool Covers

Those multi-fin covers are from CC Products circa 1990. $129.95 per pair back then. Claimed to be cooler and quieter due to deep fins and a O-ring sealer allowing metal to metal contact, thus cooler. Or I could be wrong.

1990? they first appeared maye 10 years before that, iirc. otherwise, accurate info. Later on, CC Prods became closely tied to San Jose BMW, and i believe that Chris is still there, in some capacity.

That's a monolever frame R65, so with the exception of the engine itself, it is the same as the R80 monolever from the same year - including the final drive ratio..

Thanks mang.

I have only had three airheads, so my sample is small. 84 R100, 83 R80ST and this R65 mono... but as far as motors are concerned this 650 is the smoothest out of the lot. The only drawback is that it runs out of steam on the highway.. But she is a real sweetheart... The 650 motor sips gas so the range is quite nice.

I don't normally like R65's but yours is still the best in my eyes.

:thumb

Thanks mang.

I have only had three airheads, so my sample is small. 84 R100, 83 R80ST and this R65 mono... but as far as motors are concerned this 650 is the smoothest out of the lot. The only drawback is that it runs out of steam on the highway.. But she is a real sweetheart... The 650 motor sips gas so the range is quite nice.

The R65 is smoother than the R80ST?!!! Man, I didn't think the boxer motor could be any smoother than the R80! I hope to ride one some day!

I love your R65. There is something very appealing to me about the monolever R65 and R80's. Probably the fact I like that 60 years of airhead boxer refinement is found in them coupled w/ my belief that the 650 to 800cc boxer motor is the perfect size!

Thanks for the R65 pic, the bike that inspired me to paint my R80 wheels black (then the 80 was promptly stolen by my wife)!

905720609_wbaoy-M.jpg

911126947_sipHi-M.jpg

917043963_oiYJ8-M.jpg

looks great.. An S fairing would be sweet.. for highway jaunts.

here's my old R100.
755530331_adb5da758e_o.jpg

The R65 is smoother than the R80ST?!!! Man, I didn't think the boxer motor could be any smoother than the R80! I hope to ride one some day!

I love your R65. There is something very appealing to me about the monolever R65 and R80's. Probably the fact I like that 60 years of airhead boxer refinement is found in them coupled w/ my belief that the 650 to 800cc boxer motor is the perfect size!

Thanks for the R65 pic, the bike that inspired me to paint my R80 wheels black (then the 80 was promptly stolen by my wife)!

905720609_wbaoy-M.jpg

911126947_sipHi-M.jpg

917043963_oiYJ8-M.jpg

1974 r90/6

Purchased new in October 1973 from Bob Wyckoff, Sport Spot, North Haledon, NJ- Wixom fairing and bags, restoration by Chris Harris, Manchester, NH. Currently 14,000 miles on bike - now ride in seacoast area of NH.

Attachments

• Vehicles-29-1.jpg
    Vehicles-29-1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 726
Re: 1974 R90/6

Forgot to mention that Chris Harris operates Affordable Beemer Services in Manchester, NH

Attachments

• Vehicles-32.jpg
    Vehicles-32.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 722
Back