• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

another stablemate arrived yesterday

My BMW R65LS and Kawasaki Concours have a "new" West German roommate, 1978 R100/7:

78BMW_R100_700.jpg

I love the look of those old headlamp "ear" style rearview mirrors, looks good on your Five!

Me too. 100% useless other than 'the look'.

As an aside, careful on the install. The PO installed the right one without looking at what it was interfering with in the bucket. Pinched the hot wire to the left turn signal against the bare metal bracket for the flasher mount. Had I not pause to figure out where the switches were while on the trailer, the smoke would have turned to fire. In 3 seconds, it melted the switch/ignition harness and the switch itself. That was another $91 and 3 hours figuring it out that I had not planned on spending--and could have been avoided with a simple look in the bucket.

Another look at her. As pretty as it is fun to ride.

Attachments

• 1971-r75-5a_Oct2010.jpg
    1971-r75-5a_Oct2010.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,032
picked up a '78 R80/7 a month or so ago. actually my first bike. to be honest i have zero experience with these so i'm sure i will have plenty of questions in the next few weeks as i slowly "fix" some of the slight modifications it came with, haha. so far i'm having a blast riding it and learning about it!

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 787
picked up a '78 R80/7 a month or so ago. actually my first bike. to be honest i have zero experience with these so i'm sure i will have plenty of questions in the next few weeks as i slowly "fix" some of the slight modifications it came with, haha. so far i'm having a blast riding it and learning about it!

That's one heck of a nice first bike! :thumb:

a very nice first bike, loved my 78 r80, hope yo do too

those look to be '77 RS brake calipers. but what's with the engine badge? in '78 it would have said "R100/7" rather than just the large BMW tag- that came a year or 2 later.

it's a mongrel bike. started life as an R80/7. added barrels, heads, carbs, and front end from a '77 RS parts bike. Starter cover is from a '79(no model designation). rear fender is stock BMW with the square part cut off and fiber-glassed a new contour for the Lucas style tail light.
the seat is a Corbin for a /6 with 1.5 inches cut off the front so it fits,
with a fiberglass seat cowl held on with industrial velcro.

Mongrel Bike

it's a mongrel bike. started life as an R80/7. added barrels, heads, carbs, and front end from a '77 RS parts bike. Starter cover is from a '79(no model designation). rear fender is stock BMW with the square part cut off and fiber-glassed a new contour for the Lucas style tail light.
the seat is a Corbin for a /6 with 1.5 inches cut off the front so it fits,
with a fiberglass seat cowl held on with industrial velcro.

John,

The "Mongrel's" are some of the best machines!!! You have done a fine job as that is one beautiful machine. My guess is it runs VERY nice :clap.

I picked up this 1978 R100S a year ago, it had been sitting under a cover in a garage for ten years, . I gave the owner $500 for it (which is what he was asking) and got out of there before he could change his mind.

I rebuilt the top end, carburetors and brakes,replaced the clutch and did a thorough clean up. Now I have about a grand in it.

It's a keeper.

IMG_1445.jpg

Back