• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

BubbaZanetti said:
sweet bike man, i'm really starting to think getting rid of the airhead might not be such a wise idea..........

Magwa and Dave, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Putting the fever in a young man like this. :evil
He will never have any money now, what with the care and feeding of two motorcycles.

Here's my ride

Post a pic of my airhead? I can do that.

Attachments

• airhead.jpg
    airhead.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,325
A new-to-me 1978 BMW R100RS.

Purchased from the original owner who even gave me my first Airhead tech lesson. A great guy who obviously put a lot of time, sweat, and hard earned cash into keeping this bike in great condition over the years. I have never had a better buying experience with anyone in my life. I hope I have made a new friend & riding buddy. He recently purchased a new R1150RT (STUNNING BIKE) and was kind enough to allow me to become the caretaker of his beloved R100RS for the next 27 years or so.

After geting schooled on Bings & things I took her out for a nice hour long ride. Me on the R100RS and my wife on her H-D Spotster. My last bike was an R1200C so this will take a bit of getting used to but she handles great, goes real well, and stops good once I figured out how to use the non-assited, non-ABS brakes

Here are a few pics. Hopefully I'll be geting in plenty of miles and learning to maintain her as I go along.

IMG_3041.jpg

1978 R100RS

IMG_3065.jpg

View from the pilot's seat

IMG_3091.jpg

With luggage installed

Speaking of RS'......

....Anyone know where I can buy a standard height, clear R100RS screen? Or is it *shield*? Or *Windshield*?

And does anyone know if this is a higher than stock shield?

Attachments

• DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 2,283
That one's taller than stock, I believe. You can get the standard height shields at a *good* dealer, I believe. I'd try Bob's first, they have all kinds of stuff hanging around. It should also have a bead on the trailing edge that looks like weatherstripping. You might also want to try Rusty at Max BMWmotorcycles in Portsmouth, NH. He's the best parts guy in the business.

The little rivets that attach the shield take a special tool to install. I need to find the tool so replace the shield on mine.

Thanks KBasa. My first airhead and quite a learning experience. So far I am loving it. My last bike was an R1200C so this is quite a change.

How do you like your VFR? Tell me more about the CS.

magwa said:
....Anyone know where I can buy a standard height, clear R100RS screen? Or is it *shield*? Or *Windshield*?

Yes it is a higher shield, but doesn't look bad.

The OEM shields are clear only, and chances are you won't be able to see your clock/voltmeter in riding position with one unless you're short.

There is no special tool required to install the plastic windshield rivets, although there may be one. Just lube 'em with WD-40 and push the center shaft in with the butt end of a screwdriver or something. They don't have to go all the way in--just cut off excess. They can be reused.

99% of the parts for this bike are available from the dealer, including the shield.

I have seen them

listed in the Bob's BMW airhead catalog. I think they are around $80-$100.

MG

magwa said:

Definitely a higher than stock. I got a new shield for my 1983 R100RS at my local dealer... came with the correct edging. You need to order the plastic attaching screws separately.

I think I paid well under $100.

Ian

This is my "movie star" son next to "his" R100RS (recently reclaimed in trade for a Honda CRF450)

kurt_R100RS_2003.jpg

time to breath some life back into this post -

We've shown ours, now show yours

Ribbed Alternator Cover

I love the detail work on the early R100s. What is the story with the hand guards? Your bike is SWEEEEET!
:thumb

Last edited:
Red R100S

scjack - is that an original color?

I just picked up a '78 100s that is now silver but was originally red. I didn't think they made solid colors for the s in that year, just the smoke version. Yours looks great!

R100s

The bike has been professionaly repainted BUT it's an original factory color for 1978. It was called metallic red. Two reds were offered in 1978...................the smoke red and the metallic red.
Here's a link to a page that shows the available colors for 1978:
http://www.bynumonline.com/airheads/slash7/78paint/

Here's another link to a page that shows the colors that were offered from the factory by year.
http://home.jps.net/~snowbum/pcodes.htm

I have only ever seen a couple of bikes with these handguards. They were offered by a German company (can't remember the name) and are glassed into the factory fairing. The prior owner (who had the repaint done a couple of years ago) had them lying in his garage for many years and decided that it was time to have them installed when the repaint was done.

The bike had 17,300 miles on it when I bought it 5 months ago. Runs as good as it looks. Thanks for the positive comments.

Last edited:
Nice Bike

Crazy color, but I like it. The New Zealand trip looked great. Welcome aboard the Forum

Back