Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 85

Thread: My New to me R80/7

  1. #1
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99

    My New to me R80/7

    Hello all,

    I went ahead and bought a bike not doing much research before. It is a 1978 R80/7 with 69k miles on the clock. Went to the auction house to buy a car and ended up with this bike. Seeing it in this state made me feet quite bad for it and had to have it so I can bring it back to life. The auction house did fire it up and it sounded alright for the few seconds they had it running.

    IMG_9127.jpg
    This is how it looked when I first got it.

    IMG_9160.jpg
    Had to get the fairing off right away to get it in the truck.
    IMG_9161.jpg


    Current list of parts replaced and work completed

    Engine
    New pushrod seals
    New head gasket
    New cylinder stud o-rings
    New oil filter with gaskets
    New timing chain
    New timing chain tensioner
    New timing chain tensioner spring
    New timing cover gaskets
    New cam seal
    New front crank seal
    New oil pan seal
    New breather gaskets
    New breather hose
    Cylinder base resealed
    Cut seats
    Ground valves
    Set valve clearance

    Ignition system
    Motorrad Alpha ignition
    Set timing
    New spark plugs
    New points gasket

    Fuel/intake system
    Rebuilt carburetors
    Balance carburetors
    New carburetor boots
    New throttle cables
    New gas cap seal
    New fuel taps
    New fuel lines
    Clean inside gas tank
    Drill/tap set screw for gas cap

    Brakes
    New master cylinder stainless sleeve
    New master cylinder rebuild kit
    New Spiegler stainless braided brake line
    New Brake cable
    New Caliper rebuild kit
    New brake pads
    Torque RT700 brake fluid
    Front caliper adjusted

    Steering
    New steering stem bearings and races

    Suspension
    Front forks rebuild kit
    Amsoil fork oil 10W

    Electrical
    New battery
    New oil pressure sensor
    New wire insulators (top of engine)

    Transmission/Clutch
    New clutch cable
    New drain/fill plug washers
    Amsoil 80w-90 gear lube
    Clutch freeplay adjustment

    Drive shaft/Rear drive
    New drain/fill plug washers
    Amsoil 80w-90 gear lube shaft/rear drive

    Body/Frame/Esthetics
    New café style seat
    New seat stud insulator
    New café style mirrors
    New headlight ear insulators
    New Flanders 22mm euro low bar
    Polish painted parts
    Polish chrome
    Paint exhaust
    Last edited by evojet; 02-09-2016 at 05:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99
    First things first was to remove all the extra bits that were attached.
    IMG_9168.jpg
    The fairing, seat and the boxes are just not my style and are for sale.
    IMG_9171.jpg
    This is looking much better IMO.
    I plan on fixing the few wiring problems and just keep the bike as stock as possible. I will only upgrade to improve reliability. I will change the seat to a cafe style seat and get lower bars to make it look a bit better. I don't plan on doing any permanent changes as I think these bikes look great from factory and i want to keep its originality.

  3. #3
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99
    At the moment I have been just cleaning things and making a list of things that I need to make it run well. It has sat for about 2 years and I plan on fixing all the leaks that may come up. Once it get the initial maintenance parts done I will get it running and see how the compression is. If it is low I will throw some rings on it and redo the heads. One big thing is that one pushrod seal is torn and needs replacing. I am guessing the others are going to be leaky as well.
    IMG_9227.jpg
    IMG_9226.jpg
    I wanted to clean the engine so that I can look for leaks and monitor the seals. I am sure there will be something thats needs service.
    Also I took the entire front brake system off and cleaned it. New seals, lines and pads are on the way.
    IMG_9248.jpg

  4. #4
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99
    Took off the rear fender, cleaned and gave it a wax.
    IMG_9229.jpg

  5. #5
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    15,660
    Welcome! Good project to get started on...the bike seems to be in decent shape from the pictures. Look forward to seeing the progress.

    Look towards the Flea Market in the link at the top of the screen or other online places to sell things. The forum area is for documenting your work, etc.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  6. #6
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Welcome! Good project to get started on...the bike seems to be in decent shape from the pictures. Look forward to seeing the progress.

    Look towards the Flea Market in the link at the top of the screen or other online places to sell things. The forum area is for documenting your work, etc.
    Will post the items up there shortly. Thank you.

  7. #7
    Registered User jad01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX or Portland, OR
    Posts
    463
    It is my humble opinion that the '78 R80/7 was the best of the airheads. I've enjoyed mine for 25+ years and more than 100K.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

  8. #8
    Registered User dmftoy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lexington, IL
    Posts
    584
    I agree on ditching the fairing! Bags you might wish you kept later. Look forward to seeing this one progress

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7

    Looking good.

    My '78 R100/7 looks very similar (same color too!). I too have stripped everything off of it including a front fairing. I'd love to see what you do to solve the front turn-signal issue (mine were hack-sawed off for the fairing to fit). I found some OEM signals on eBay and put them on by removing the forks. I had to extend the wires and feed them through the small holes in the headlamp mount. Not totally sure I did it "right", so would love to see what you come up with.

    Also, my master cylinder seems to push fluid (caliper piston engages) but doesn't have any reverse suction (caliper piston will NOT disengage). I bought the rebuild kit and am hoping that helps. When I put compressed air through the port that leads out to the brake line, blowing air towards the reservoir, I get nothing. This makes me think that's my problem spot, the reason I'm not getting any reverse suction. Again, not sure if that's "right" (maybe air ISN'T supposed to flow that direction?). I'm going to start a thread regarding the master cylinder rebuild. Would love to hear about yours.

    Cheers,

    Darren

    IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_4190.jpg

    ----------
    '78 R100/7
    Portland, OR

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    40

    If it's not too nosy - what did you pick it up for Dollarwi$e?

    Like what you've done with it. Good luck!
    Dr. Raoul Duke
    1999 R1100GSA
    1974 R90/6 with Ural Sidecar

    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

    ÔÇôHunter S. Thompson

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    227
    Thanks for all the pictures on your progress. This will be a good thread to follow.

  12. #12
    Prefers to play martinph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Armstrong, BC
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    It is my humble opinion that the '78 R80/7 was the best of the airheads. I've enjoyed mine for 25+ years and more than 100K.
    My first BMW was also a R80/7. Wonderful bike. Keep us posted.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

  13. #13
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    I agree on ditching the fairing! Bags you might wish you kept later. Look forward to seeing this one progress
    I really will not be using this bike for commuting. Just a pleasure ride a couple times a week.

  14. #14
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenutt View Post
    My '78 R100/7 looks very similar (same color too!). I too have stripped everything off of it including a front fairing. I'd love to see what you do to solve the front turn-signal issue (mine were hack-sawed off for the fairing to fit). I found some OEM signals on eBay and put them on by removing the forks. I had to extend the wires and feed them through the small holes in the headlamp mount. Not totally sure I did it "right", so would love to see what you come up with.

    Also, my master cylinder seems to push fluid (caliper piston engages) but doesn't have any reverse suction (caliper piston will NOT disengage). I bought the rebuild kit and am hoping that helps. When I put compressed air through the port that leads out to the brake line, blowing air towards the reservoir, I get nothing. This makes me think that's my problem spot, the reason I'm not getting any reverse suction. Again, not sure if that's "right" (maybe air ISN'T supposed to flow that direction?). I'm going to start a thread regarding the master cylinder rebuild. Would love to hear about yours.

    Cheers,

    Darren

    ----------
    '78 R100/7
    Portland, OR
    Man that thing looks sweet. Thank you for the pictures.
    I too bought a rebuilt kit and waiting on the arrival. My concern is that my bore has some pitting and I am not sure the seal will even reach the problem area. I am just hoping that the seal with not go that far, otherwise I will need to source another master.
    IMG_9243.jpg
    IMG_9244.jpg
    IMG_9246.jpg

    You might want to service your caliper and master cylinder at the same time to skip the headaches of bleeding the brakes twice and possibly having a crash. Take it all apart and clean really well, throw new seals in and adjust the cable going from the lever to the master cylinder.

  15. #15
    Registered User evojet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by DRRAOULDUKE View Post
    Like what you've done with it. Good luck!
    Thank you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •