Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just Can't Have Nice Things....

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar

Just Can't Have Nice Things....

Ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot Activ tires for my 89 R100RS. Had them installed and rode the bike home from my airhead buddy's house, taking the scenic route. Got home and was looking at the tires....
    there is a NAIL in my rear tire, about 1" off center!
    Less than 60 miles on them.
    What the bleep.

Sorry- had to cry to somebody.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    What a bummer. Any luck it didn't go through? Took my bike in for service once and the tech brought me the rear tire to show me a nail when it only had 500 miles on it. He pulled it in front of me and no leak. It was bent over somehow and never punctured the tire.

Take to a reputable shop & have it plugged from the inside.

You should be good to go, I've done it many times.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    Take to a reputable shop & have it plugged from the inside.

You should be good to go, I've done it many times.
    Yep, I would.

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I thought about the plugging route, but I think this is something that I would only do to "get me home", at which time, I'd likely change the rubber. With only two tires, I would probably play it on the safe side.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

It happens. I've had similar experiences in the past and was tempted to plug them. But, I would rather have a patch installed inside instead of the plug if I were attempting a repair. That said, I think I would replace the tire and enjoy looking at the new/old tire hanging in the garage.

If you look at the picture in post #4 you will see the large round patch that goes inside the tire, as well as the attached plug portion which when properly installed seals the plies and prevents penetration of water and crud between the plies/belts. A good repair in my opinion. It requires that the tire be dismounted to properly install.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I put a new Metz on the back of my LT that was pretty darn unlucky. It had a nail in it before 125 miles. I put a stringy worm plug in it and kept going. By the time that tire was worn out it had collected 5 nails and screws in it. Yes, I did plug every one of them and none of them ever leaked.
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT gone but not forgotten
    14 Victory Crossroads

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    I'll dismount the tire tomorrow, and yes- it'll get the plug from the inside.

IF, by any chance, it goes flat afterwards- or if anything happens, I WILL replace the tire.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
    I'll dismount the tire tomorrow, and yes- it'll get the plug from the inside.

IF, by any chance, it goes flat afterwards- or if anything happens, I WILL replace the tire.
    If it does go flat again, it will be another puncture- not the one you just fixed. Those plugs are great.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
    Ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot Activ tires for my 89 R100RS. Had them installed and rode the bike home from my airhead buddy's house, taking the scenic route. Got home and was looking at the tires....
    there is a NAIL in my rear tire, about 1" off center!
    Less than 60 miles on them.
    What the bleep.

Sorry- had to cry to somebody.
    At least you got home. Yesterday I was stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. I waited at an abandoned gas station for a tow.
    2015 R nineT
    2014 Triumph Scrambler
    2015 Porsche Cayman

I would never plug a tire -- or never would have until I watched a friend plug the rear on his KTM 990 Superduke with a slime type. The tire was new and he then rode on it as normal and his normal is to use up a Q3 every 1800 miles. He's at about 1000 and it's held fine.
    61 Gold Star, 03 CBR600RR, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '14 Street Triple R (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, 76 R90S)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
    I put a new Metz on the back of my LT that was pretty darn unlucky. It had a nail in it before 125 miles. I put a stringy worm plug in it and kept going. By the time that tire was worn out it had collected 5 nails and screws in it. Yes, I did plug every one of them and none of them ever leaked.
    I have done the same a few times myself. Rode until time to replace the tire. Never had any problems. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ducster View Post
    I have done the same a few times myself. Rode until time to replace the tire. Never had any problems. Maybe I have just been lucky.
    As this thread has progressed, I can now say these plugs work a lot better than most are willing to give them credit. Once I stacked 5 next to each other in a backhoe tire. The multi-plug lasted until the tire was completely worn out.
    I have found the real variable is whether the tire was driven flat. A tire that has been driven flat will frequently have a number of issues that disrupt the integrity of the carcass- and will be difficult to detect.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I can't imagine that a backhoe tire generates the heat that a motorcycle tire would. And the consequences is much less catastrophic on the backhoe, I would think.

If I had a car tire get a puncture in the center of the tread, I think that the tire shop would repair with a patch/plug from the inside...pretty standard...and I've had it done in the past. Again, the issue is a bit more concerning with only two tires on the bike.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!