Thread: Going into the /5 Bucket

Going into the /5 Bucket

Hello all,

I'm going to send off my speedo/tach soon for overhaul and going into the bucket this weekend to remove it. I have never been in there before and with all my searching and reading (sure I missed something) I can't seem to find a sentence about how the actual unit is held in place. I'm imagining that some sort of tabs hold it in place and would like to hear from someone who's actually done it along with any be-carefulls or suggestions through the process that may apply.

Thanks and Cheers!

Welcome aboard yanta.

You may find this useful. The two "tall" hex nuts (two arrows marked "instrument lighting" are pointing to them) bear against the stamped metal cross bar; the cross bar bears against the edge of the instrument recess. The "instrument lighting" spade terminals are just visible behind the retaining nuts.

The main "be careful" is always disconnect the battery before messing with any electrical - in particular, disconnect battery before attempting to remove the front engine cover.

A lot of "/5" stuff is available simply by googling a phrase... i.e. "BMW head light nacelle"

Here's another shot. Painting the interior white helps a lot!

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Spedo Removal

I removed the speedo on my /5.
    Note carefully or take of picture of how the wire connections feed in and around the cross bar. I didn't and had to reinstall the bar and the two nuts a second time when one of the wires would not reach it's socket because it was not correctly routed.
    The two nuts are very small. I finally purchased a tiny correctly sized wrench to loosen and tighten them. The clearance allowed only about a 1/8 - 1/4 turn before I had to reposition the wrench.
    It's not difficult, just a tedious job and it helps if you have small fingers.

Adirondack Bob

Thanks gents. Your help is appreciated. Went in there today and it's all actually pretty clean. I've had this bike 4 years and it's clear to me that someone had been in there before me and did a nice job. I like good surprises.

Tach itself is jammed and the cable was torque failed at the drive end. The speedo and odometer also both need professional help. They're all in transit now.

Thanks again,
    Rick

This probably goes without saying, but replace both the drive cables before you hook up the instruments. On a minute scale, and hundreds of times per minute, when the cable sticks a bit, and then lets go, it tends to beat up the instrument by virtue of transmitting rotational shock.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner