Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Grand Canyon (Pennsylvania's) and Back

Great report. I am heading up there next summer and now I have some roads to check out.
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

Quote Originally Posted by ltljohn View Post
    Great report. I am heading up there next summer and now I have some roads to check out.
    I doubt you can pick a bad road up there. Enjoy the trip and watch out for the deer.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Nice trip and photos. There are many awsome roads in this area. I was through this region about one month ago doing some gravel road exploration. here's a shot of Cherry Springs Park Potter County. It's known as the darkest spot in the North Eastern U.S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Route 44 is a nice road. Watch out for deer this time of year. The summertime is a great season the explore the gravel roads and ATV trails in the area. It's a nice playground for us GS folks. Here's a photo of Cherry Springs Vista right off Route 44:

Now that's a ride report!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Terence,
    You are so right about the road up to Hyner View, it's a very nice climb and the view is incredible. When leaving the view, take the only dirt road to the right near the top of the mountain. This will shoot you over to Route 44 (this is where us GS folks take advantage of the rough roads).

Gopheride
    Thanks for sharing and great pics.Statdawg kindly showed me around the area of NE PA back in August. smooth mountain roads and spectacular views.Can't wait to go back..

Terrence, great report and pictures. You make me envious. I grew up along Rt120
    11 miles east of Emporium. In fact, the picture you show and talk about The Bucktail Trail, is about 8 miles east of home. I remember that dip in the road well,
    as I pass through it everytime I go back home. I always say each time I pass Hyner View, "I ought to go up there sometime". Did once as a kid but was too young to remember it. Florida is much nicer for us older folks now for at least half of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegs06 View Post
    Nice trip and photos. There are many awsome roads in this area. I was through this region about one month ago doing some gravel road exploration. here's a shot of Cherry Springs Park Potter County. It's known as the darkest spot in the North Eastern U.S.
    Lyman Run isn't too far from Cherry Springs and the sky was certainly dark. I haven't seen a night sky like that in years. Luckily it cleared up that evening and I spent a lot of time looking up, though a little past full moon eventually rose. There was an article in the paper here recently about light pollution and mentioned Potter Co as having dark skies, which was another reason I wanted to go there, and Cherry Springs as being the first Dark Sky Park. I had thought about camping there but there's limited camping and in some areas you can't even have fires, though that might be when astronomy clubs are there.
    Terence

Quote Originally Posted by mikegs06 View Post
    Terence,
    You are so right about the road up to Hyner View, it's a very nice climb and the view is incredible. When leaving the view, take the only dirt road to the right near the top of the mountain. This will shoot you over to Route 44 (this is where us GS folks take advantage of the rough roads).
    I saw that road with the sign for PA44 on my way in and had planned on taking it on the way out. When I realized in was 5 miles of dirt I changed my mind. No sense of adventure.
    Terence

6smokers
    Wish I could have been riding my K1200RS right behind you. Pics are great. Never have beento the Pa. canyon. Yet
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    Wish I could have been riding my K1200RS right behind you. Pics are great. Never have beento the Pa. canyon. Yet
    Doug
    Hey Shorty . Hope to get out your way for some riding. We missed you at Hermy's.
    Terence

6smokers
    Wish I could have been there to see you. Spent the day at a Temple University football game with my son. First time I have been to the Lincoln Center. It was good to spend time with him. I still want to put a picture of my family on my fairing. I thought your idea of doing that was a good one.
    Shorty

A generous man will prosper he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great ride report and photos!
    1976 R90/6

SNC1923

Bravo

I don't know how I missed this first time around. . . .

I echo all the positive feedback. This is an impressive, entertaining, well-documented, and beautifully photographed ride report. A solo trip like this looks so apealling.

Thanks for a grea trip!