• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650 Windshields

BIRD MAN

Midnite Flyer
I just purchased a 01 F650 GS and am really liking it. I want to find a wind screen with more protection than the stock one. Would like some input from those of you who have tried some of them to help determine what might be the best one out there. Thanks : K Thunder

Last edited:
Take a look at this discussion on f650.com;
http://f650.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=209521
The f650.com FAQs also has some good windshield info.
I have tried the factory screen and Ermax on mine and didn't really care for either.
I ended up making my own from a spare Vetter Quicksilver windshield. It is far from pretty but offers good protection and is fairly quiet.

Wunderlich Tall Windscreen

I bought the Wunderlich Tall windscreen for my 2005 F650GS Dakar. I haven't noticed any head buffeting and the wind noise is certainly less than with the factory windscreen. You're welcome to look at it if you wish.

i tried the tall BMW screen on my bike ('07) and found it offered little advantage over the stock fly screen. i am now using a ERMAX windscreen. although i had to modify it for my height it is a vast improvement over either BMW screen. it is not much wider then the BMW screens but it is more upright which deflects the air up & over my head. although i am very happy with it i am still looking around for that "perfect" screen, although i am not sure that exists.

Givi wind screen

I have a Givi on my '07 and like it. No buffeting and good protection. does not work with hand guards. I get more noise than with the stock one. I'm 5'11"

Wunderlich WIndshields

I just installed a regular Wunderlich windshield for handguards. So far the wind pressure on the chest and throat have been reduced but the pressure is a bit still there especially wind pressure on the shoulders and helmet. In order to alleviate head buffeting I'd recommend the tall one. Since I use hand guards the side buffeting is still there. One can retrofit some deflectors that are available on the market. If no hand guards get the tall Wunderlich and extra wide shield.

windshields

Also have an 01 F GS. Have tried the stock fly screen, the BMW tall (for sale - $50 + shipping), the Dakar screen and recently bought the ZTechnik screen. Have to say none make it like a cruiser with a big screen (thankfully). I'm short (5'7") and find that the fly screen provides no protection but very little buffeting. The BMW tall airflow hits me about middle of the face shield, the Dakar is a bit above that and the Z about the top inch of the helmet. I do notice more buffeting with the BMW tall, somewhat dependent on helmet choice. The Dakar is ok but rarely see one for sale. I like the Z, less buffeting but noise level is basically identical to the others. If you can borrow one to test, do that, if not its a roll of the bones........

CC

f650 windshields

Thanks for the ideas and input. I have just recently installed a parabellum windshield, so far I like it but haven't ridden enough to give a final word. I do like it far better than the stock ,much more protection. The biggest problem I so far is the shield is to close and I knew that was going to be an issue before I purchased it. I will figure out how to deal with that somehow.

Here's something that worked for me

I have the Wunderlich tall windshield and I'm 5'10" tall. I noticed some head buffeting at highway speeds and looked into other windshields but found another idea instead. It's called Stealth Edging. Check it out at the following website.

http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm

This windshield is more vertical than most so this edging works particularly well. It throws the windstream up and out to the sides about 2-3 inches and removed all of the head buffeting and made it noticeably more quiet behind the windshield. To see what it looks like, check out my bike (the newest post to the Show Me Your Thumper thread)

Stealth edging

Thanks for the tip yellow jacket. Stealth edging looks like a workable solution that looks good and is not cumbersome. I like the parabellum except its just to close to my face. I believe the stealth edging would give even more comfort to the parabellum.

Edging

Yellowjacket,

I checked the picture of your bike on the Show Your Thumper thread. The windscreen really looks good and the edging makes it look even better. So, are you really happy with the windscreen edging combo ? I'm thinking about going the same route. It's the Wunderlich tall screen, right ? Did you use the Micro-Swirl or the Peel and Stick edging, and how many feet did you need ?

Thanks,

Hankles

Yellowjacket,

How did the edging fit around the top corners of the windshield? I just got some and haven't installed it yet.

Edging Info

Edging Info for Railbender

Hello Hankles,

Yes, I'm really happy with this combo. I'm 5'10" tall it's great. It's almost completely quiet (wind wise) behind the windscreen which is a Wunderlich tall windscreen. I used 3 feet of the Micro-Swirl edging which is just about perfect. If you happen to get an inch or two to much, it trims pretty easy with scissors. DO NOT use soap to put it on as the instructions say to. Just clean the windscreen and put it on, it goes on pretty easy. It doesn't slide side-to-side very easy so mark the middle of the edging and the top middle of the windscreen and start there for a professional look. I thought the heavy black edging would distract me or block my view but that wasn't the case and it's so nice not to get buffeted any more. Let me know how you like it. Have fun and ride safe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankles
Yellowjacket,

I checked the picture of your bike on the Show Your Thumper thread. The windscreen really looks good and the edging makes it look even better. So, are you really happy with the windscreen edging combo ? I'm thinking about going the same route. It's the Wunderlich tall screen, right ? Did you use the Micro-Swirl or the Peel and Stick edging, and how many feet did you need ?

Thanks,

Hankles

Edging on corners reply

Hi Railbender,

It was a bit of a tight turn but it made it OK. The rubber crinkles up a little but doesn't look bad. I thought of rounding the corners a little to make it a softer curve but decided against it. It's always an option for the future.

Hi Railbender,

It was a bit of a tight turn but it made it OK. The rubber crinkles up a little but doesn't look bad. I thought of rounding the corners a little to make it a softer curve but decided against it. It's always an option for the future.

I tried mine and really didn't notice any difference in sound or buffeting so I sent it back. We will see good their money-back guarantee is. :drink

2/22; SAENG issued my refund with no problem.

Last edited:
Back