• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Annual Death Valley Run

S

SNC1923

For more years than I've been a member, our club has ridden over to Death Valley on the last weekend of October. I posted a few of these in the Photo Assignment 10/2707 thread. Here are a few more with the added advantage of processing.

214205276-L.jpg

This is New Guy Bob who brought along Pee Wee for her first M/C camping trip. Everyone in our group really dug Pee Wee. Bob seemed real nice, too.

214209808-L.jpg

Brad peruses the menu in Panamint Springs. It's a decent restaurant but they seem only able to cook a few meals at a time. Beware large groups.

214210312-L.jpg

Sassafrass, the reataurant's mascot, walked right up and crawled between Brad's Camel Back and jacket. She seemed quite happy.

214217261-L.jpg

Once we got to Stovepipe Wells, it became apparent that Myram and Karen weren't having any fun at all.

214218741-L.jpg

Although it never dipped below 50 degrees, we had a campfire each night, complete with guitar-playing, cigar-smoking, and whiskey drinking.

214226373-L.jpg

Due to the California wildfires, there was a great deal of smoke in the valley. As a result, scenic pictures were hard to come by. I'm sure the thousands of people whose homes are threatened--or who have lost homes--wish they had something so simple to complain about.

214229447-L.jpg

No trip to Death Valley is complete without a stop in Rhyolite. This little fellow came up from underneath the bottle house.

214230794-L.jpg

Said bottle house.

214234768-L.jpg

In front of the bank at Rhyolite.

214239561-L.jpg

A scultpure in Rhyolite.

214240210-L.jpg

Lots of desert weirdness.

214243044-L.jpg

Took a short ride down Mustard Canyon, 221 feet below sea level. The flames on the Zumo unit are kind of inside joke. Nothing to get excited about, move along.

214246338-L.jpg

Salt Creek. Death Valley, at times of the year, can be one of the harshest environments on the planet.

214247533-L.jpg

Salt Creek. You just don't expect to find water in Death Valley. Apparently this is home to Salt Creek Pupfish, the only survivor of Lake Manly which dried up at the end of the last ice age in what is now Death Valley.

214315616-L.jpg

On the way home, outside Panamint, near Father Crowley Point.

214336424-L.jpg

Stopped for a quick rest at Lake Isabella.

214332860-L.jpg

According to my GPS, the lake was down quite a bit, apparently.

214339391-L.jpg

My parting shot, at Lake Isabella.

We had a great trip: lots of miles, lots of laughs, lots of pictures. Thanks for looking. If you are interested, the rest of the pictures are here.

Last edited:
Death Valley is gorgeous - looks like a nice trip. And great pictures as usual!!

I would.

If it's a snake I don't want to get close enough to identify anything!

Gorgeous photos from fun times. What could be sweeter?

Voni
sMiling

October? Never thought about that before. Gone in November. August too. But this
would be a great time.

Nice shots too!

I would.

If it's a snake I don't want to get close enough to identify anything!

Gorgeous photos from fun times. What could be sweeter?

Voni
sMiling

:ha

Where you are now, you might want to know who's gonna get ugly with ya and who's not when you're camping.

The Myram and Karen photo

is one of the happiest photos I've ever seen. You did an excellent job with the shots. This particular one is priceless.

:ha

Where you are now, you might want to know who's gonna get ugly with ya and who's not when you're camping.

Javelina are pretty ugly . . .

We met one up close and personal last Thursday camping in Rio Grande Village!

I'm not getting close to those either.

Voni
sMiling

What's Death Valley like December through February as far as temperatures? Sure looks like a fun place to ride with adequate preparation.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

What's Death Valley like December through February as far as temperatures? Sure looks like a fun place to ride with adequate preparation.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Typically, it's in the high 60s or low 70s during the day and in the 40s at night. Of course, it can be warmer or colder... especially colder. It can rain, but it generally doesn't.

Also, all the entrances to Death Valley are via relatively high passes, which can get snow, even if there's no precipitation on the valley floor.

Back