Thread: San Diego area to Tecate; BORDER CROSSING DETAILS?

Hybrid View

San Diego area to Tecate; BORDER CROSSING DETAILS?

Heard that Hwy 94 and 188 into Tecate were closed due to the fires. I want to cross there soon---anyone know what the situation is now?

Also is Banjercito open on Saturdays (for FMT fee payment)? I've read conflicting statements elsewhere.

Any current updates appreciated---I'm Baja Bound!

Jeff

1992 Euro GSPD

What fun you'll have!

This website says each location is updated hourly:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

bobh41

Any special concerns crossing either way?

I used to work in Tijuana in the late 60's when it was pretty free, and no problems crossing. How about now with the international security issues?

Question Tecate crossing (southbound); anyone know what days the bank is open?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh41 View Post
    I used to work in Tijuana in the late 60's when it was pretty free, and no problems crossing. How about now with the international security issues?
    I am completely avoiding Tijuana because of the recent dramatic rise in crimes committed against tourists along the TJ-Ensenada corridor as well as humungus waiting times coming back to the USA.

I don't think the international security issues are very much an issue in this case. All I hear about is the robbings and kidnappings and crooked/phony cops around TJ. Check out some of the ADVRider forums and you'll see what I mean. (I would be asking this question there but I have been having trouble logging in last couple of days).

Tecate is a nice little town and definitely the mellowest of most of the border towns; it is the way to go if you're heading south these days.

The only time I was there was when I came back into the US from a little trip I took 7 years ago to Santa Ines; I had no need to get my tourist card validated/paid for at that time since I was northbound. Crossing was a snap, too!

Hope to find out if the Military Bank Banjercito is indeed open on the weekends if anyone else out there knows... I'll be heading south to La Paz in a few more days.

Ideally, I'd like to get across the border at Tecate and down to El Rosario by sundown on the first day out from San Diego, but I can only do that if I can pay my FM-T fee at Banjercito (somewhere before Maneadero---either Tecate or Ensenada) .

Thanks!

---Jeff

*Safety Queen*
    Geeze. Tijuana is not a bad place unless you go out and get pickled in a weird part of town. Yes, there are problems, but they are not that bad. (AdvRiders likely report problems because they are more likely to seek out getting pickled in a weird part of Tijuana!)

As for Tecate, The Union-Tribune reports:

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Tecate port of entry to reopen Monday

Posted @ 11:46 PM
    The Tecate port of entry will reopen to passenger vehicle and pedestrian traffic at 5 a.m. Monday, Oct. 29, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.

The port will resume its normal operating hours of 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. All cargo trucks will still be required to enter and exit the U.S. at the Otay Mesa or Calexico commercial ports of entry until the roadways leading to the port are certified safe for large, heavy vehicles.
    The info on highway closings was old but it appears that the 94 will be open from the east toward Tecate.

*Safety Queen*
    Update on the 94 - I was wrong in my guess that you'd need to come from the east.

From the U-T:

Be prepared for a slow drive along State Route 94 this morning.

SDG&E crews are repairing fire damage along the road, causing frequent areas where the interstate condenses to only one lane.

Just east of Barrett Junction, the road is closed to State Route 188, by the Tecate border crossing. If you want to to go Tecate, you'll have to approach it from the westbound side.

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    What fun you'll have!

This website says each location is updated hourly:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

Voni
    sMiling
    Thanks, Voni; nice to hear from you---I've spent hours looking over your website with considerable interest; my wife and I may move to your (and Paul's) neck of the woods someday---that's beautiful country you live in over there!

I'll check that website again closer to my departure although I'm more concerned about finding Banjercito open than waiting to come back into the US; wonder if anyone else has the scoop?

Anyway, thanks for your response and if we ever get to West Texas we'll give you a holler. Hasta luego,

---Jeff