Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 08 Rally Roads!

FWIW, Benchmark Maps makes what may be the best road atlases around and they published a Wyoming atlas last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmark-Wyom...dp/0929591968/

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I found a set of video clips from my trip that I'd previously not viewed!

Here is a short clip from the BigHorn National Forest Area, WY 14, West of Gillette. No fancy edits, so turn down the volume if you don't want the wind noise.

Big Horn National Forest
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Rally Rat

Rides around Gillette

If someone has gone to the trouble of creating a couple of day trips around Gillette on Mapsource, would they consider posting them for use ?
    Thanks in advance, beer in exchange

Anyone coming up from the south through Nebraska should look at Hiway 61 north out of Ogallala. Lots of hills and curves, yes hills and curves. We once made the 165 miles to Martin South Dakota in just over one and a half hours, saw 4 cars. The Nebraska Sand Hills are HOT so mornings or evenings are best. Some livestock and ranch trucks and very few gas stops. If you are in the touring mode keep going north to Kadoka, South Dakota then west through Badlands National Park. Did I mention it will be HOT! If you haven't traveled west remember that gas stops are often 30 to 50 miles apart so watch the reserve light.

Rally Rat

Day trip from Gillette

Early design for a day ride from Gillette > I 90 hoof it on the slab to Sturgis, and come back the scenic way. Approx 280 miles on the route + slab Gillette > Sturgis early am
    More accomplished Mapsourcers and those who know the area, would appreciate your thoughts.
    If you wish I can email the Mapsource file
    Apologies for pic size/definition, not an expert in these matters
    Attached Images Attached Images

From Sundance take 585 to Four Corners, 385 to Cheyene Crossing then 14A down Spearfish Canyon. Take the slab to Sturgis and then Vanocker Canyon, it starts right at the BMW dealer. When you get to Nemo go about a mile south, take 208 back to 385 south into Hill City. 244, Mount Rushmore road to Keystone, 16A, you'll get hit up to pay a park entrance fee, then 87, Needles Hiway, to Sylvan Lake. 89 down into Custer, west on 16. Best Roads the Black Hills have to offer. Lots of tourists, RV's, etc. but great roads and scenery.

floppp
    +1 Twoslowwheels

I did 2/3 of those roads last year during my very first extended bike trip. Amazing scenery.

I would have been heading back there this summer even if the rally wasn't in the area.

Rally Rat

Proposed better route...

Thanks, I will work with this
    Attached Images Attached Images

08 Rally Roads

If you decide to venture over to Mt. Rushmore, DO NOT ( I repeat ) DO NOT miss the Needles Highway. When you come down the Mountain from Rushmore, turn left and go aprox 1/2 mile and turn left onto Needles Hwy. keep your camera handy. those of you that have ridden this road, know what I'm talking about

floppp
    I plotted in 2slowwheels route into Mapsource and it lists Vanocker as a dirt road, yet the road is listed on the Sturgis Rally page as a good ride and the photos show pavement. I can't see many Harleys venturing down a dirt road and I will ride on dirt for a bit but not too far.

Is the road paved, and Mapsource has old info? The photos don't look like new pavement.

Rally Rat

Mapsource

I have version 6.13.7 and the latest data - City Navigator 2008.
    That said, I have no idea how to tell if a road is dirt or see photos.....
    I plotted the BMW dealer from their coordinates which I looked up on the web and they are on Vanocker Canyon Rd.

Vanocker Canyon has very nice pavement, so nice you tend to ride it a bit faster than you should if you don't know where the real tight curves are.
    Needles Hiway (87) and Iron Mountain Road (16A) are two roads not to miss, as well as 85 from the S. Dak./Wyo. border down through Spearfish Canyon (14A).

Quote Originally Posted by jimfastcar View Post
    If someone has gone to the trouble of creating a couple of day trips around Gillette on Mapsource, would they consider posting them for use ?
    Thanks in advance, beer in exchange
    The Garmin "gpx" file I posted several weeks ago should help you plan any number of great routes.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=59
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

Rally Rat

gpx file

I tried to post some of my Maposource files, but the site does not allow it.....
    gpx is not an allowed format ? > how do it ?