Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/27/07

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    As others have said Tom, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to provide reviews of the many pictures. Additionally, I enjoy and appreciate the contributions themselves (and the commentary). How people see their world and what they value can be seen/implied in these pictures. I remain convinced as well that beyond honing artistic and technical skills, the process itself forces us to move beyond a 'complacency of the familiar' and into looking with 'fresh eyes' and possibly feeling in new (or revitalized) ways. Again, thanks Tom for providing thoughtful and helpful responses. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Sl??*inte mhath!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerTeam View Post
    Great photos.

By looking at this weeks submissions, I am seeing a lot of nice DSLR with some fancy lenses. It would be great to see the camera info while judging the photo. Having that info would be great for our next camera purchase.

I am shooting with a CanonA 610 and a four year old Canon S70 Point and shoot. The S70 is an advanced P&S. If I were to replace the A610 I would look into purchasing a G9 or a S5 IS.

I would go to a entry level DSL but I like a camera in my pocket not at home on the shelf.

Looking at this weeks photos, the old story of it is the person behind the camera only goes so far.
    I like to use http://www.dpreview.com to compare cameras. With some cameras, they do studio shots of the same subject, so you can view the results of one camera over the other. Had I known about this site several years ago when I bought my DSLR, I would have probably bought a Nikon D100 over the Canon 10D, but I made the mistake of listening to a salesman before thoroughly researching the choices.

Thanks for the feedback and the significant time investment, Tom! This whole series of exercises should really help us when riding season starts in earnest again next spring.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Thanks Tom for such kind words. Even when I lost points, you said it in a way that made me giggle: "Minus 10 points for goobers." That's a quote that will stay with me.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

focus

Seems having removed the Panzer, the authorities will not allow me to put it back as a moving avatar.

Buttons...there are so many on everything these days, and so many functions and options and add ons- it's good to get some focused direction (pun intended) on what we can do, then go out and press a few, to see what the result is.

It's even better when someone has the ability to pass valid comments.

Thanks.

Thank you both for your time in reviewing the pictures. I have learned much, and the reviews are phrased in such a manner that I will never beat my camera in frustration.
    I am upset that I can't remember what I did in that muffler shot to get it that way, out of the 20 or so I took of that subject. I may have to pull the exif data.
    The camera is an Olympus 765 Digital with 10X Optical zoom.
    Again, thanks for the kind words, and inspiration.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Tom Wrote:

"PGlaves, having received this week's memo, is back with a nice submission. Fits the theme well and is an interesting, well-composed shot. The exposure on the tractor's opening is right-on, but the rest of the image is a bit over-exposed. This is a RED tractor--I want to see that. I think this could potentially be fixed in processing."

The tractor is more a brownish red than it appears in the posted photo. It is rusty with a reddish tint to the rust - by eye and by electrons. Several other shots looked a bit browner depending on the angle of the lighting.

I think it got redder for some reason when I resized the photo for posting too. I use an ancient (mid 1990s) version of Arcsoft Photo Studio I got with a camera that recorded the pictures on 3-1/2" floppy disks - yes, that old!!. I use it because it is very convenient but I have noticed before that saturation seems to increase when I shrink photo size.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

I think it got redder for some reason when I resized the photo for posting too.
    I use an ancient (mid 1990s) version . . .

Or?

; )

I like redder ; )

Voni
    sMiling

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post

Or?

; )

I like redder ; )

Voni
    sMiling

Redder is better!

rocketman
    Wow! Seems I missed out on on being able to add to quite a good collection this week. While I did have internet access on vacation, I only spend ten minutes (if that) just to check some email,, somehow after flying for the better part of the day just get to San Lucas, and only having a week, well I had better things to do than play on the internet! I don't know maybe I'm crazy, but....

Did take a ton of shots and will post a report soon and did think of the challange what tried a few along those lines.. so even though its now done, just to keep my hand in the mix, heres one I took and which I will disqualify myself imediately for posting late and out taken outside the window and all but...

Like Grains of Sand......

RM