• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire size question

T

tricyclerob

Hi all. I have a '59, R-69, and prev. had Dunlops, 110/90 on the front and 120/90 on the rear. Actually those were on the bike when I bought it and were near new, so "waste not, want not", I left them on. The bike cornered like it was on rails. I could not upset the cornering line if I tried. Also, very steady on the straight, even loaded for camping. Only problem was getting the rear wheel off for any type of service. I usually ended up removing the diff. to remove the wheel, even after letting the air out.
Anyway, when it came time for new tires, a respected expert suggested the handling would be "quicker" with 100/90 on the front and 110/90 on the rear[and suggested Michelins]. I really don't notice it turning in "quicker", but I do notice what I feel is some level of instability on the straights. Not quite a wobble, but maybe a twitcheness[is that even a word?] I've ck'ed steering brngs, the front swing arm adj, as well as the rear swing arm. Also ck'ed the wheel brngs and all seem ok. I know the R69 orig had 3.50x18 on front and rear. If I went to a 110/90 on the front [to match the rear] would it "slow the steering up" ? thanks, rj

Back