• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fixing those stone chips

Anyone have any experience with fixing stone chips on your paint?

I was at the dealer and they mentioned something about a "paint pencil" but didn't have anything regarding a brush type of applicator.

Anybody have any experience with the pencil thing?

I have the greenish silver (paint #605).

Usually, what they mean by paint pencil is a little container of paint with a small applicator brush. Check to see if that is what they mean. I have heard that the dealers were no longer going to be able to get these kits, but they may still have them in stock. I have also bought them from MotoBins in the UK, but the postage can get pricey.

I have had reasonable luck with some pretty deep chips on my metallic black KLT. I use a sharp pocket knife to gently clean out any rough bits. Then I put a layer of paint, let it dry, and rub it out very gently with 1500 wet-or-dry paper, followed by semi-chrome applied with my finger or a soft cloth. I repeat this process as many times as necessary until the surface is close to level, then do a final rubout with carnauba wax.

I had a deep gouge on my rear fender, about an inch long and probably 1/8 inch deep. With about two hours elbow grease, I made it almost disappear. Sure beats a new plastic part or a giant bill at the paint shop.

BTW, for really small chips, you might be better off using a Sharpie or felt-tip pen, if you can get the right color. Sometimes, a repair with paint in these cases leaves a glob that is just as conspicuous as the chip was.

Jon

gsmetal said:
Anyone have any experience with fixing stone chips on your paint?

I was at the dealer and they mentioned something about a "paint pencil" but didn't have anything regarding a brush type of applicator.

Anybody have any experience with the pencil thing?

I have the greenish silver (paint #605).

Since you have the paint code.. you might try these people:

http://www.autovisuals.com/

I didn't see 605 listed - but since you have the code, it's possible they might be able to make it up for you. They only list the car codes, but I believe I've heard that they can provide some bike colors.

These are a sharpie type pen with paint. Have one for the 4 wheeled BMW and it works great. Easy to apply the correct amount and easy to control it. BMW is now selling something like this for the cars instead of the little tube of paint and the brush that make such a mess usually.

Back