• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Portland to Portland Plus

C

Crow18

Since I'm not riding down to California this weekend, I figured I'd put the finishing touches on a report about a cross-country ride that the botanist and I did last month. It's in sort of a blog format, which I updated as internet access was available, and then I went through and polished things up a bit afterward.

Here it is.

A little background: my wife finished her PhD in botany last year, and landed a post-doctoral research job at Duke, in Durham NC. It's only a 2-year position, so we weren't real interested in selling our house in Portland, and I wasn't real interested in quitting my job, relocating, job-hunting and then quitting after a year and a half. Nor, to be totally honest, was I interested in living full-time in North Carolina. Not a fan of heat or humidity (and the 3rd "H", the Carolina Hurricanes, are the only NHL team I truly hate).

So anyway, she drove out in the car, found a house, got settled, flew back, and we saddled up the bikes and rode. Somewhere during the planning stage, we decided to add a thousand miles and visit my Dad in Maine and make it a Portland-to-Portland trip, with a little southward spiral at the end of it.

Aside from Yellowstone, we didn't stop and do much along the way. We will take it much easier on the return trip, now that we know what's out there to see.

Well, reading that trip blog took at least a good hour out of my Saturday riding time, thank you very much. I just couldn't stop reading. Good stuff.

John

Back