• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tail Of The Dragon

deja vu again

rode what later became known as the dragon in 83 (not the first time). Wished the whole time I was on my R75/6, sold the Goldwing when I got home. Rode again last year on another Goldwing. This time it was because my new R90/6 was still in shop getting pistons, etc. major rebuild. Sold the Wing as soon as I got home! Want to go back on the 90/6 and the GS too but especially on the R90.

Found more fun roads in area than the dragon though. One was coming off of the Blue Ridge to the east, just don't quite remember exactly where.

Moral, never ride on a Honda. It will get sold.

First rode the "dragon" when it was only known as highway 129, back in the 80's. It was a fun ride and had little traffic then. I last rode it in 2005. The road was the same but it was wall to wall idiots. People on bikes and cars on both sides of the road while going one direction. I pulled off at an overlook just in time. About 10 seconds later a group of 4 BMW cars swung through the blind curve on the wrong side of the road with about 10' between cars. The road was just far too crowded with stupid people on bikes and in cars. I have no intention to go back any more.

I did ride the Cherahola in 05 and found that to be a far more superior ride. Not as tight in the turns but better view, far far less traffic and much smoother.

Any bike can do it, go to the tailofthedragon web site and check for the best times to do, when traffic is light, etc. you might even get a picture of you riding it. Be carefull though its a challenging road, go for smoothness not speed!

RM

Have ridden The Dragon 19 times - will certainly ride it again.

As for your questions, couldn't answer it better than rocketman did. :thumb

Dragon flicks

These were taken last summer, while the rock slide still had the road closed at the north end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQX2FWSvWBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z-Toijoe9g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The helmet cam is mounted on my buddy's helmet. I'm in front on an R1200GSA while my buddy is on an R1200GS.

My buddy is a noob rider, and nearly wiped out two days earlier, having gone so wide in a right turn that he almost went in the ditch on the left side of the road. I was constantly concerned about how he was doing, and I did my best to keep him out of trouble. The Dragon is posted for only 30 mph, and it was patrolled heavily, another reason to sample other roads nearby...

We did the Dragon twice that day, and I really did get more comfortable doing many turns in quick succession, way more turns than I normally see in a month or more of riding.

Harry

Back