• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ear plugs

Gerald said:
Last night at the local BMW meeting one of the other RT owners
gave me a pair of Max Lite ear plugs. I did not take my Rt to the
meeting as I was doing a St Patrick's day gig in the same strip
mall so I had to wear my kilt and carry my drum.

Gerald

Ear plugs are mandatory while riding your RT in a kilt and carrying a big strapping drum. At a strip mall.

As heard from a passing Scotsman "Absolutely nothing and it is in perfect working order.":bliss

Well, I made the trip saturday with the Max Lites with an NRR of
34 and they did seem to be a bit quieter than the Hearos. I did
pull up on my ear which let the plug go in a bit better.

I ordered some of the custom fit plugs and should have them
in about a week. From what I am reading on this forum they
probably won't be any quieter at the range for the wind noise, but they may help me in the pipe band.

They will not put any pressure on my ear from the helmet either,
as they will not protrude from my ears.

Now if I can just find something to stop the buffeting of the wind.
I am not sure I can get my wife back on the RT again as the wind
scared her. In Oklahoma we have wind every day so things don't
look too good. The RT was pretty steady, but she was moving
around pretty good.

Gerald

Try a CLC

One with CBailey extended windshield. That took care of all our problems with wind buffetting.

Hi,

I have both molded ear plugs I got from a gun show. If you get them there, you have to have them shave the outside so you can get it under your helmet.

I have a pair of Arizona AL's stereo Ear buds. I have never felt anything as comfortable in my search. Best head phones I have ever had. I plug them into my MP3 player and longer riders and I float along. I just sent my headsets to him to have a plug put in so I can splice them into my Starcom communication setup to talk with my back seat and toal toalk with my fellow riders on ham radio.

I haven't been on this site very much. Spend most of my time on WWW.BMWRT.com most of the time. THis site will has Arizona AL on the contact list as a member, and will have a lot of answers on windsheilds. I to where trifocals and have moved up to a Cee Bailey #2 + 4 inch windshield. Great set up.

Arizona Al is AL Schibi in Mesa Arizona. He is a rider and goes to a lot of the Tech days and ralleys.

Good luck

Jeff

I was trying find out if it was legal to use earplugs while riding and came across this lovely site:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htmhttp://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

Still trying to dig into the local laws as to usage here in WA. Helmet mounted speakers too. I will continue to use my earplugs no matter what I find as I've not had a problem hearing sirens, horns and loud piped bikes in 20 years of use.

On fittment:

With plugs properly inserted there should be no discernable difference in noise level between holding your hands over your ears and with hands away from the ears. At least that's what the WISHA guy told me while I was getting certified to do respirator fit tests a few years back.

Steve

Back