• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wyoming yes, but Gillette???

garlicbreath

If Wyoming has a dusty armpit, it's Gillette. In such a gorgeous state, why pick a location so far from the mountains and other features of interest. Near Gillette most of the best roads are dirt. That said, I plan to attend for the camaraderie but, in the future, I think there are better locations.

If Wyoming has a dusty armpit, it's Gillette. In such a gorgeous state, why pick a location so far from the mountains and other features of interest. Near Gillette most of the best roads are dirt. That said, I plan to attend for the camaraderie but, in the future, I think there are better locations.
:violin That is just to funny!!!!! L O L

Gillette

Please give me the name of another location in Wyoming that can meet the following criteria:

at least 100+ acres of camping space
70,000-100,000 sq ft of indoor commercial vendor space
approx 40,000 sq ft of indoor seminar space
grandstand capable of seating at least 3,500 people
at least 3,000 motel rooms within a 20 mile radius
available on site MOA exclusive beer sales
availability of sufficent showers and restrooms on site or nearby

and those are just the major starting qualifiers to ante up for consideration as a host site!

Can't think of another site in Wyoming that meets those basics? Neither could we.

Friedle
have done this and looked at lots of sites a few times already :brow

Gillette

Then perhaps Wyoming isn't the right state, or perhaps there is some flexibility needed to the site requirements. First and foremost should be the riding experience. All of that space won't be needed if folks are turned off by the location. Again, I will attend and encourage others also, but it would be an easier sell with a better location.

There have got to be at least 205 other places in Wyoming that would be 205 times better. :rolleyes

I'm not sure what your issue is. The riding near Gillette is far superior to the riding near West Bend. Or Lima. :sick

Then perhaps Wyoming isn't the right state, or perhaps there is some flexibility needed to the site requirements. First and foremost should be the riding experience. All of that space won't be needed if folks are turned off by the location. Again, I will attend and encourage others also, but it would be an easier sell with a better location.

I'm excited about going to Gillette. I was there earlier this month, driving in from Rapid City. There were a whole lot of hills and mountains and canyons calling my name, but this time I was on a tight schedule - and not on my bike. The scenery was beautiful, the people extremely friendly and welcoming. The roads may not be really exciting within a short radius of Gillette itself, but there are many roads to ride not far away. Think Big Horns, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Black Hills, and more.

This site has so much to offer - you've probably never seen so many climate-controlled buildings than at CAM-PLEX. . . . including the registration area. This will be a fantastic rally.

I expect to be retired in 2008, will be on a fixed income, don't like to spend a lot on motels anyway - I'm bringing my tent and looking forward to it.:thumb

Muriel

There have got to be at least 205 other places in Wyoming that would be 205 times better. :rolleyes

I'm not sure what your issue is. The riding near Gillette is far superior to the riding near West Bend. Or Lima. :sick

:nod

To be fair, yes the roads east of West Bend aint great. There is this big thing called a great lake that pulled all the wrinkles out.

West of West Bend is another story. The further you go, the better the roads get.
I found some fun roads in Lima too. Maybe it is just me.

That explains Wisconsin's performance in the mileage contest every year.
We have to go far, just to get to good roads.:nyah

A Native Son!

Hey Rharrod - where have you been all this while?

We've been chewing on info and opinions from transient visitors and armchair experts over what to expect in Gillette, and you live there? And ride a BMW?

Sharing time: give all of us an objective appraisal of what Gillette does and does not offer, so that we adventurous travelers may be better prepared come July of next year, when we all descend on your property for free camping, use of the home shower and some garage space!

On second thought, maybe you should leave your house address out of this.

Seriously, could you make a few comments about nearby riding, attractions and motels you'd recommend? Weather is not an issue for me, since that is too unpredictable, and may very well be gorgeous.

Thanks in advance!

Why Wyoming

I see you are quite new to the Forum, but I don't know anything else about you since you have decided not to fill out any of your profile information.

I will assume you are also new to the MOA.

The annual gathering in Gillette will be the 36 year we have had such an event. The MOA tries to move the event around the country, and even across the border once, to give as many of our members a chance to attend the event as possible, recognizing that not everyone has the time, money or desire to travel to the rotating site each year.

This year the geographic zone for the Rally was scheduled for that area of the country. Finding sites in that area that meet our basic requirements can be described as difficult at best. There were some other suggestions with much better riding in their immediate area, but they did not meet the basic physical requirements/specifications.

For the last six or seven years we have been drawing crowds of between 6,000 and 9,000 attendees to our annual event. What would you imagine would be the response from our 38,000+ members if the MOA Board were to select a site that stressed the riding experience but we would have to limit the Rally attendence to the first 2,000 attendees?

Why not run for the BoD and be the Rally Chair for that experience?

It still comes down to the fact that the BoD tries our best to provide the best possible experience for as many of our members as possible, every year and in as many parts of the country as possible. Many of us leave the BoD with the distinct feeling that no good deed goes unpunished. Thank God many of us are thick skinned masochists. :D

If you can't make it this year or don't want to make it this year, it's very simple. Don't come. Wait to see where the Rally will be next year and then make a decision about going there. Or stay home again next year. Sooner or later we will go to someplace that you like. :bikes

Friedle

Please give me the name of another location in Wyoming that can meet the following criteria:

and those are just the major starting qualifiers to ante up for consideration as a host site!

Can't think of another site in Wyoming that meets those basics? Neither could we.

Friedle

Not just in Wyoming. Anywhere. The MOA caused the problem by having great rallies that people want to attend.

The MOA tries to move the event around the country, and even across the border once, to give as many of our members a chance to attend the event as possible, ... Friedle

Actually, this is not quite true. The rally locations of the past 10 years have been in the far northern United States consistently , close to Canada or the Great Lakes. That is not moving around for as many members to attend. What about MOA members from Southern California, New Mexico, Florida, Louisiana, the southern States? For the past ten years members living in those locations have had to travel the farthest and the longest.

I say spread it around more. Be more flexible. And by the way, 6 to 10 thousand is not a large rally. There are places that may not fit the criteria for a rally site that routinely have motorcycle rallies with attendance of 30,000 or more.

Friedle

Hmm...this excuse is getting old. If Cody, Sheridan, Jackson, Cheyenne (just to name a few) don't meet the criteria, don't force the square peg into the round hole. Move onto the Black Hills of South Dakota (heaven forbid we go to a Harley site that handles 500,000 bikes) or move it south to Colorado where there are many locations that can easily handle 8,500 bikes - Loveland, Castle Rock, Boulder, Estes Park, Colorado Springs.

My two cents...you don't need 70,000-100,000 sq ft of indoor commercial vendor space. At West Bend, most was outdoors. As for seminar space, almost any location with a livestock barn provides 40,000 sq ft of indoor seminar space. Grandstand capable of seating at least 3,500 people ....all you need a field and a podium. What you do need is an area with great riding. That criteria should be moved to the top and ruled out Gillette from day one. If you don't want to change the criteria, you need to move the locations aways from towns with 20,000 people. Going to where nobody else wants to go is not a good method to determine a rally site.

My two cents...you don't need 70,000-100,000 sq ft of indoor commercial vendor space. At West Bend, most was outdoors. As for seminar space, almost any location with a livestock barn provides 40,000 sq ft of indoor seminar space. Grandstand capable of seating at least 3,500 people ....all you need a field and a podium. What you do need is an area with great riding. That criteria should be moved to the top and ruled out Gillette from day one. If you don't want to change the criteria, you need to move the locations aways from towns with 20,000 people. Going to where nobody else wants to go is not a good method to determine a rally site.
Many people seem to differ on the "no great riding area" thing also. Actually, I want to go. I also don't think I am the minority from what I have been reading. However, I can be an idiot. :thumb

works for me.

back in '85 when the K bikes arrived they made a whining sound. K-whiners we called um. Look like a new breed has sprung up for '07 without BMW enginering having to lift a finger. I'm dreaming of a beautiful 9000 mile loop from/to New Jersey which includes a stop in Gillette. It'll be the best rally yet.
robert :buds
04GS 00RT

back in '85 when the K bikes arrived they made a whining sound. K-whiners we called um. Look like a new breed has sprung up for '07 without BMW enginering having to lift a finger. I'm dreaming of a beautiful 9000 mile loop from/to New Jersey which includes a stop in Gillette. It'll be the best rally yet.
robert :buds
04GS 00RT

I'm with you Robert! :thumb

My loop will start in upstate NY and may only be 4500 miles. I'm sure Gillette will be great but it's one stop along the way. I can't wait to take another trip over Beartooth pass and Chief Joseph Highway. Rode those roads for the first time in '04 on the return trip from the Spokane rally. Makes my adrenalin flow just thinking about it. See you there!

"west bend, west WHAT?"

DejaVU baby!

II seem to have read this thread before? Same arguments, same counters, same stuff! How can this be? WOW! New names!

And whats really wow is I have been told by many of the lifers at this ward is that each year, about the same time...it starts all over again! Last years threads were called like "west bend, west WHAT?"

And you don't believe in space aliens, HA!

Have fun and NO suggestive pictures!

Last edited:
I am probably in the minority, but I am not as concerned about the riding around the venue, but the riding to get there. I just enjoy hanging out at the Rally with a few thousand of my friends. This year at West Bend, I had a blast. I also did not ride at all except for going to dinner once.

I am with Brad. I always do most of my riding before the rally. I usually try to explore the state or the general area before the rally and then park during the rally. There are so many things to do at the rally, I don't have time to go riding.
That is why I rely on the local members to post there favorite rides/roads of there home state on the forum or in the MOA-ON before the rally.:bikes

I am probably in the minority, but I am not as concerned about the riding around the venue, but the riding to get there. I just enjoy hanging out at the Rally with a few thousand of my friends. This year at West Bend, I had a blast. I also did not ride at all except for going to dinner once.

Ditto

Back