• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Advice on Moto Tours in UK

uncutshirt

Hey all,

I am taking the BMW Off-Road two day course (basic) in March 08 and I have three days before and after to rent a bike and tour:

Any suggestions on a good tour operator or moto hire company?

Plus any must-see sights along the way? I am flying into Heathrow and taking a train Cardiff for the training.

- curt

Some guidence

Hey all,

I am taking the BMW Off-Road two day course (basic) in March 08 and I have three days before and after to rent a bike and tour:

Plus any must-see sights along the way? I am flying into Heathrow and taking a train Cardiff for the training.

- curt

There's some nice countryside throughout Wales and a few token mountains.
Try asking this post at www.UKGSer.com there's a section specifically for Wales.
Ross on Wye is another spot worth a visit. Weather in Wales in March is usually wet and cold, but who knows what it will be these days. If it's pleasant try the coast. If it's horrid, then why not set specific locations, castles for instance. Start at Cardiff Castle, then up north to Caernarfon, Denbigh, Rhuddlan.

Avoid, Rhyl, Prestatyn, Swansea and Wrexham, they are dumps. I hear Flint is grim too.

www.visitbritain.com
www.uktravel.com
www.britannia.com/wales/whist.html
www.godo.wtb.lon.world.net
www.wtbonline.gov.uk

Bed and Breakfast is different in the UK. It's not always the high priced grander houses as here in the US, often they will be rooms above a pub/inn, or a smaller family house. As a result they are a lot less expensive and can be good value.
Tregaron Mountain Rd near Beulah
Berwyn to Bala Lake and Bwlch-y-Groes is the highest road pass in Wales
A487 coast rd from Aberystwyth to St David's Head. Dolaucothi gold mine (cafe).

bike hire and tours:
david@hctravel.com
www.motorcycletours.co.uk
www.biketours-uk.com
email castell1@btinternet.com tel Bob at +441570471225

You'll get a lot more from the UKGSers.

Have fun, stay dry, watch out for loose sheep and the speed cameras.

Lamble hit it on the head. The UKGS riders will help.

The Welsh riders say it is very tricking to find a Bike Hire shop there.

Places to see or consider:

All the A470 North of Merthyr right to the North coast.
All the A40 in Wales
Most ot the roads of mid Wales, especially around the Elan valley, Devils bridge area.

March is likely to be cool, wet with odd risk of snow in the wilder areas. possible bright blue sky but chilly days. Oh, and there will be lots of daffodils.

3-4 days should be enough to see the roads

Tourist Wales should include:
Gower
Dylan Thomas Boathouse
St. David's Pembrokeshire
Portmeirion
Brecon/ Hay on Wye

PM me if you need a local contact that lives 50 miles from the school.

* If you are arriving in country you may wish to take a rest day before you start driving. Be mindful of the little roads due to farm operations and blind corners. Put a sticker on you instrument panel telling you to stay left.

be safe it sounds like a wonderful trip.

Stat-how come you know so much about Welsh Wales Boyyo? Are you a Taffophile?
Neither of us have suggested he try the seaweed bread (larva bread?). I think we should.

I have friends in Splott, or "splow" as they prefer to call it.

There's also the alternative...cross the Severn back into civilisation and go to Bath. ( Does the bridge charge you to get out of Wales?) A must if he's a culture vulture.

The last time I was in Wales, at the Dragon Rally, a guy with a wooden leg, took it off, pulled a sword out of it and would have swung for us English, if he'd not fallen over first (aided by a few shandies no doubt).

My gene pool left lanterns along the cliffs at Lands End ,and Devon area of England. Wales is part of that Cornish realm but they will certainly will let you know they are separate. They do make great cookies.

This mystical dawgs soul that is a 6000 years old that I am carrying has many secrets and no collar or scarf. :brow Wait till you head down to Argentina, the territory is marked going south for you. It was alot easier than dropping corn kernels. I think the GS community is closer than we think. Some claim their bikes are sexy, mine is a mystical stead that travels beyond my horizon its power radiates to help those that desire the same. :dunno If you seek there are many a soul that are willing to help, share the road, and provide a safe stable for your mystical stead, for they may have one themselves.

Zen: If you start out in search of them, then travel beyond the horizon and return to your starting place you will find one in you. :wow

Strange you should mention Argentina, for isn't there a Welsh enclave there, Evans the Goucho perhaps? Llanfairpampas?

While in the US, there's an intention to head South, although another crossing of the 48 is more imminent...Canada to the East then back West across a Northern route. 22 States down 26 to go, although I missed Florida by only a few miles when I rode East to West on the Southern route, so I'll need to pick that one off.
18 months down 5 1/2 years left. I may avoid Wyoming, there's obviously nothing to do there.

Now N. Devon. I could go with that. Took the Mille around the N.Devon coast, before cutting across the moors to Cornwall. Clotted cream, jam and scones, pasties and freshly caught mackerel (surely the stupidest fish around) grilled on the beach. Polperro on Christmas Day...a living memory of sensory overload.

Hey all,

- curt

Do you have the instructors names?

all points of the compass

There is a Horizons Unlimited Meeting in Silverton, Colorado the week prior to the National that may suit you. There maybe a few from the Pappas, and distance shores passing that way. I hope to attend. Please venture east and I can show you some ways.

From where we live, there is only East, unless we get wet, or sky high.
Rode in China last month, Hainan Province. That was West, but the Far East-how does that work?

Do you have the instructors names?

All I have is what is posted on the site:
http://www.worldofbmw.com/content/offRoadSkills.asp?article=252

Who better to teach you the skills of off-road riding than Britain's best riders? Six-times Dakar competitor Simon Pavey heads up a team of quality instructors who know everything that you could possibly want to know about off-road riding. They have the expertise, riding ability and genuine enthusiasm for motorcycling and they are on hand to teach you the skills that make it an enjoyable and educational experience.​

Stat-how come you know so much about Welsh Wales Boyyo? Are you a Taffophile?
Neither of us have suggested he try the seaweed bread (larva bread?). I think we should.

I have friends in Splott, or "splow" as they prefer to call it.

There's also the alternative...cross the Severn back into civilisation and go to Bath. ( Does the bridge charge you to get out of Wales?) A must if he's a culture vulture.

The last time I was in Wales, at the Dragon Rally, a guy with a wooden leg, took it off, pulled a sword out of it and would have swung for us English, if he'd not fallen over first (aided by a few shandies no doubt).

As a matter of fact, I am culture vulture - I would have flown to Wales even if the course was in the US. What is this about Bath?

The baby eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

(The baby eating Bishop of Bath and Wells
As a matter of fact, I am culture vulture - I would have flown to Wales even if the course was in the US. What is this about Bath?
Well surprise, surprise, the early settlers in the area weren't great at naming places, but then along came the Romans, who built a large bathhouse. Inspired they called the settlement Bath, unlike Lavatory which is a smaller village no one goes to.
It's still there and still functioning. Around the Roman infrastructure grew a larger town and all that that bestowed. Many years later Bath's spa became derigeur for the society types, who then started to patronise the town to "take the water". It grew into a city of some grandeur and stature. It retains much of that grandeur still, along with the Roman relics. You have exquisite museum artefacts, the living bath house and associated romanesque buildings and the Royal Crescent a World site of historical and architectural heritage. In the summer it can get touristy, in March, you'll have time. Wells Cathedral near-by (The Bishop of Bath and Wells' archdiocese HQ) is another fabulously rich heritage centre, notably for the colourful Bishops that there have been.
The stone used in creating the city buildings of Bath is striking.
Well worth a visit, especially if it's raining, and it almost certainly will be.

(The baby eating Bishop of Bath and Wells is reference to a history based TV comedy-Black Adder)

Simon Pavey-riding God.

For a preview, if they haven't already sent a dvd, Simon is the guy in Long Way Round...'sppose you know that though...so you can see some of the course on that DVD.

As matter of fact - Long way 'round was a real inspiration and is what what gave me the idea to hook up with world of bmw.

- curt

There are several hire companies I know of....at least one in Cornwall (I am renting a Triumh Bonnevile from them on my next visit)........Cornwall is to the south west of Wales, just follow the sun set and enter Gods Country:D ....white sandy beaches, palm trees, fish and chips and cornish pasties.:D

This is another rental company advertised which seem to specialize in BMW, //looks like they are situated in Milton Keynes which is just east of Wales...http://www.rideoutrentals.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=13&Itemid=15

Enjoy your visit.

Cornwall.

If you get to Cornwall, visit Polperro. The pub on the bridge does good food, the pub on the harbour wall is more pubish and local. Both are fantastic.
Fowey (pro:foy as in toy). The Eden Project is worth a visit as is the Lost Garden of ???????? forget the name, something like Lostwithiell if I recall. Don't bother with Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor. It's a tourist trap. Made famous by Daphne Du Mourier.

There are several hire companies I know of....at least one in Cornwall (I am renting a Triumh Bonnevile from them on my next visit)........Cornwall is to the south west of Wales, just follow the sun set and enter Gods Country:D ....white sandy beaches, palm trees, fish and chips and cornish pasties.:D

This is another rental company advertised which seem to specialize in BMW, //looks like they are situated in Milton Keynes which is just east of Wales...http://www.rideoutrentals.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=13&Itemid=15

Enjoy your visit.

If you get to Cornwall, visit Polperro. The pub on the bridge does good food, the pub on the harbour wall is more pubish and local. Both are fantastic.
Fowey (pro:foy as in toy). The Eden Project is worth a visit as is the Lost Garden of ???????? forget the name, something like Lostwithiell if I recall. Don't bother with Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor. It's a tourist trap. Made famous by Daphne Du Mourier.

There are a hundred good pubs to visit in and around Cornwall.....just look for a Church and the old pubs will be directly beside them...:D

ps..its the Lost Gardens of 'Heligan' just out side of Mevagissey (used to live there).
Cheers.:wave

There are a hundred good pubs to visit in and around Cornwall.....just look for a Church and the old pubs will be directly beside them...:D

ps..its the Lost Gardens of 'Heligan' just out side of Mevagissey (used to live there).
Cheers.:wave

Lucky sod!

There is a Lostwithiel somewhere in Cornwall though isn't there? (The Lost part probably ingrained itself in my subconscious and by association I mixed the two).

Strange how closely linked the Holy Spirit and the Distilled spirit are, although I seem to remember the pub to church ratio was at least 2:1.
My potential in-laws lived in Fowey. They were great folk, couldn't say the same about their daughter though!
My UK homes started in Cannock, moved via B'ham, New York and a few other places around Europe and Southern Africa to a small island just off the east coast near Colchester. Now here on Pac NW.

crimping magic

Stat,

I can see the attraction of Cornwall, however, Wales has much to offer too and being in Wales will be nearer.

All along the border with England are monuments to the rivalry of territorial ownership, so history and culture abounds. There's Hereford for instance and the Cathedral with one of the earliest illustrated manuscripts in the world.
Hay on Wye-as mentioned previously, second hand book capitol of the world.
Gloucester, with the antiques at the old harbour, a whole bundle of things. Cardiff itself can offer three days of exploration.

That's the thing I miss most over here in the US, especially the "newer" west coast, there's just not the association with things that have happened in the previous two millenia. England and Wales add a richness of depth to almost every town and city, due to the fact that "stuff" has happened there. There are tales to tell, imaginations to be coloured and all within the tight confines of a small island. I used to live on a "gentleman's yacht" built of teak in 1860-older than the State of washington-as a State recognised in law. I walked to my office through a gate build in AD 45 by the romans and ate lunch on a wall of the same time, when the sun shone. The Welsh and Cornish, plus the Scots and Irish to a degree were forced to these edges by the angles and the saxons and so their history goes back even further than the roman invasions.

Pasties...now they are made deep in the cornish tin mines where beautiful fairies crimp the crusts between their wings and sprinkle on a little magic dust. Everyone knows that!

Just got the news - I get to ride the new F800 GS when I take my class!

Good and bad - love to ride but may have to convince my wife that I need to sell the 650 and get the 800 - not looking forward to that conversation

But damnit its a 800 GS!

Just got the news - I get to ride the new F800 GS when I take my class!

Good and bad - love to ride but may have to convince my wife that I need to sell the 650 and get the 800 - not looking forward to that conversation

But damnit its a 800 GS!

You lucky sod!

Back