• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Questions for Dallas Area BMW Owners

P

professor

I'm closing in on a new RT. What are your experiences with the Plano dealership - sales, service, etc.? What accessories should I consider including in the purchase? Anything else I ought to know? Thanks.

I'm closing in on a new RT. What are your experiences with the Plano dealership - sales, service, etc.? What accessories should I consider including in the purchase? Anything else I ought to know? Thanks.

I've had good luck with the parts dept after several negotiations.

Thanks, RLK.

I'm not sure that "good luck" is the best way to describe something that happens "after several negotiations". :) But it sounds like you are happy with the final outcome.

Any suggestions for accessories? Thanks for your response

Also, any experiences with the Fort Worth dealer would be much appreciated.

I've been dealing with the Plano shop for six years and I've always been treated well. The parts-guys are who I've dealt with the most, and they are good guys.

I've had a few dealings with the Fort Worth shop, but I've been left with rather mixed-feelings about it. Nice shop overall, but the parts-staff seems to have a lot of turnover, and often whoever is at the counter isn't very familiar with BMW. When I was bike-shopping recently, the sales-staff at Fort Worth kinda gave me the creeps. I wound up buying my GS at the Plano shop and the experience was great and painless (dealt with a salesman named Chris Dehart).

As for service, I'm the do-it-yourself type but I've had limited experience with each shop. I had Fort Worth mount some tires once, but only because the day's business took me over that way so I threw the wheels in the boot and dropped them off. Completed on-time and for a decent price; no complaints.
I took an old K100 I used to have to the Plano shop once because I was having trouble with something in the intake-system (I forget what the exact trouble was) and it was starting to look like something beyond my comprehension. They checked it out quickly, and the tech himself spoke to me rather than the service-counter-guy. He explained that I had air-leaks in the throttle-bodies and that a new set would be about $500, but when I winced at that he said that he had a very good used set in his personal parts-stash that he'd be glad to offer for significantly less. The fact that he was willing to offer a solution that cut his employer out of some business just to get me taken care of impressed me. I wound up never doing the repair, but was pleased overall with the experience. I've also had the Plano shop mount tires a few times, always off-bike. No problems there but I don't think I'll have them do anymore tires for me simply because of what they charge these days (on the high end even for wheels brought in).

Overall I recommend the Plano shop without hesitation.

Thanks. I visited the Ft. Worth store a couple of days ago and was less comfortable with the experience than I've felt in Plano. Maybe just personality differences, but the Plano crew just seemed friendlier. I may take the plunge on an '07RT this afternoon. There are none in stock so I'll have to wait a few days for delivery.

I look forward to meeting you, Veg, and other area riders. I hope to do a lot of the routine jobs myself (valve adjustment, etc.) and will probably have a few questions.

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again. :)

Thanks. I visited the Ft. Worth store a couple of days ago and was less comfortable with the experience than I've felt in Plano. Maybe just personality differences, but the Plano crew just seemed friendlier. I may take the plunge on an '07RT this afternoon. There are none in stock so I'll have to wait a few days for delivery.

I look forward to meeting you, Veg, and other area riders. I hope to do a lot of the routine jobs myself (valve adjustment, etc.) and will probably have a few questions.

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again. :)

When you get your new ride, show up for this ride

http://www.bogriffinrides.com/html/ww102107.htm

and introduce yourself. Bo is the ride master for the FTBMW club and the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He has ridden from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.

RLK

FTBMW? I don't know about that, but he is the TourMeister of the Lone Star BMW Riders, which is the Dallas-area club. I know this because I am the LSBMWR's Vice-prez.
But yes, I'll second the opinion that Bo is a great guy and a great rider, and a very thoughtful ride-leader.

I won't be going on that breakfast-run as I'll be up in Oklahoma riding the Talimena Scenic Drive, but I do show up for some of Bo's rides- I'm the tall goofy young-ish redheaded guy with the black (for now) '07 GS. Looking forward to meeting you as well!

Next time you deal with the parts-desk at Plano, tell them that that goofy Ben sent you! :laugh

Ben Lower, VeeP
Lone Star BMW Riders

Thanks Ben and RLK.

I wish I could make that ride. I've been to Whitewright before doing the TMRA "See Area B" tour.

I'm leaving for Colorado early tomorrow and won't be back until around noon on Sunday. Unfortunately I'll be bikeless in Colorado - which is even worse than sleepless in Seattle.

I'm headed to the dealership right now and unless something strange happens, I will leave with a larger debt and the promise of an 07 RT. They have to order from the warehouse and it will probably be about a week before I can take delivery. Anything going on next weekend?

Jim

You asked about accessories for your RT.

I really like to have a tank bag and a topcase. You don't need to get either the day you buy your bike (unless they offer some special incentive) but both come in very handy.

I love my GPS. I'd get one of those, too. I don't know how gadget-literate you are or your primary riding purposes, though, so take this "advice" with a grain of salt.

I have the 49L top case and love it. I would recomend crash bars. I didn't get them initially and dropped it in a parking lot. I got the Touratech and haven't dropped it since. Go figure. They look good and offer peace of mind. Their kick stand foot is great for parking on soft ground. I got the Cal-sci medium windshield,its kind of a toss-up compared to the stock one.
Good luck,
Bob

I did it. I just contributed a down payment and signed an order. There are no more new 07's available with ESA, but you can get any color you want - as long as it's silver :D

I ordered the large top case and head protectors. Part of the promotion is a free Zumo 550. I think the only other extra I'm getting is a heated seat. I think the heated grips are standard. I'm hoping to have it by the end of next week. My wife will be out of town on business that weekend, so I can just ride, ride, ride...

Two more things - this is the first time I've owned a bike that someone might consider worth stealing. Is that a problem with RT's? Is Low-Jack worthwhile?

And finally, If you know anyone who needs an inexpensive, blast-to-ride, unique motorcycle, I have a 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal with lots of goodies? The 1100cc engine is as rugged and durable and anything made. With only 26000 miles on it with almost new Dunlop Elite II tires, it will take you anywhere and back again. It's got 40 liter HB side bags, crash bars, a Corbin dual seat with passenger backrest, a luggage rack, Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns and a center stand (that isn't standard on a Jackal). That's been the hardest part of this decision - I love riding the Jackal. But it is time to upgrade.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into an ad. I'm just excited. I look forward to meeting and riding with you.

FTBMW? I don't know about that, but he is the TourMeister of the Lone Star BMW Riders, which is the Dallas-area club. I know this because I am the LSBMWR's Vice-prez.
But yes, I'll second the opinion that Bo is a great guy and a great rider, and a very thoughtful ride-leader.

I won't be going on that breakfast-run as I'll be up in Oklahoma riding the Talimena Scenic Drive, but I do show up for some of Bo's rides- I'm the tall goofy young-ish redheaded guy with the black (for now) '07 GS. Looking forward to meeting you as well!

Next time you deal with the parts-desk at Plano, tell them that that goofy Ben sent you! :laugh

Ben Lower, VeeP
Lone Star BMW Riders

My bad. Thanks for sitting me straight. I knew it was one of the BMW clubs. I'm the guy who shows up on various BMW GS bikes.

I just stopped by the dealership and learned that the bike probably won't be here until Tuesday. So instead of saying "Beemer", I'm saying, "Bummer". Play some sad music for me. :violin

It was supposed to come in yesterday, so they tracked it this morning and found out the bad news. It could be worse - I still have my Moto Guzzi to ride so at least I'm not bikeless. I'll let you know when I actually have the RT.

I just stopped by the dealership and learned that the bike probably won't be here until Tuesday. So instead of saying "Beemer", I'm saying, "Bummer". Play some sad music for me. :violin

It was supposed to come in yesterday, so they tracked it this morning and found out the bad news. It could be worse - I still have my Moto Guzzi to ride so at least I'm not bikeless. I'll let you know when I actually have the RT.

And here I thought that gold RT parked out front of the shop was yours. Based on the time, looks like I just missed you by about 60-90 minutes.

Back