• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great maps of western States - Benchmark series

knary

looking for a coal mine
I finally picked up a quality atlas of Oregon. I debated between a few choices and settled on one from the Benchmark series. I'll be picking up the rest of the series (AZ, CA, NV, UT, WA).
Benchmark Maps

Here's a snippet from a section west of Portland, OR. (I blurred the edges for better image compression).
salmon042.jpg

And attached is the top left edge of the same page, showing how they've rendered lat/long for the GPS user.

Attachments

• map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 265
Very nice. The detail and coloring remind me of the wall-size state (and some regional) maps done by Raven Maps (http://www.ravenmaps.com). I have a large-scale Raven of California on the wall, and it's real eye candy.

dbrick said:
Very nice. The detail and coloring remind me of the wall-size state (and some regional) maps done by Raven Maps (http://www.ravenmaps.com). I have a large-scale Raven of California on the wall, and it's real eye candy.

I love that map you've got in your dining room. I'm picking up one of theirs after we move.

knary said:
I love that map you've got in your dining room. I'm picking up one of theirs after we move.

After we move? Something you want to share with the class?

KBasa said:
After we move? Something you want to share with the class?

I sooooo very wish.

We banged up against the deadline, and renewed our lease for yet another three months. :(

This weekend we're hitting the pavement and looking at a few houses we might like. We'll find something. I can't wait to get my GS into a real garage. :D

The bigger news is that I did manage to drop off my application for grad school this past monday. I am, to put it mildly, a bit freaked out by the possibility of getting accepted and attending. :help

Worst case, I've got a fresh and solid pack of beautifully shot slides that will be making the rounds to the galleries. I'm amazed at how well they turned out. Gone are the days of shooting film, hoping some turn out, and then the tedious process of taping them off - and never getting it quite right. I shot the paintings digitally, adjusted them for color and tone accuracy in photoshop and had slides 'printed' from the adjusted digital pics. Very cool.

1flyer said:
I'm going to miss working in my darkroom :cry

I read a piece on one of the motorcycle racing sites about guys that shoot racing. They're pretty much moved away from film and are now using digital almost entirely. One guy shoots some film before the race and then goes entirely digital during the event. He just likes shooting film, which I can understand. He likes the digital because he can have 3000 pictures up and available for sorting within a couple hours of the end of the race.

dave

1flyer said:
I'm going to miss working in my darkroom :cry

I think there will be a long standing use for dark rooms, but not for color work or the quick and dirty (read: commercial media).

Back