• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody got an iPod?

kbasa

I'm sort of idly looking at MP3 players and wondered if anybody had an iPod. They seem rather elegant and I see a lot of them when I travel. I like the autosync when it gets docked and the ability to load a whole ton of my photos to it when I'm traveling on the bike is pretty sweet.

Anybody have any experiences with these things? With the remote control headphones or any of the other accessories?

I'll be watching the responses along with you, Dave. I find the iPod an interesting possibility and have been thinking along those lines myself ...

I do and love it. Mine is the 15G flavor and have my entire CD collection and my address book with enough room left to download it all again. The sound is great especially with custom molded speaker/ear plugs, space to carry it on the motorcycle or in a pocket is obviously not a problem. Just after I got mine they upped the capacity. I recommend them.

Thanks, Gizmo. Did you get the in the ear speakers that Apple sells or did you get them from somebody like Bob Weis the earplug guy?

Do you have an ability to access your address book from the iPod? Or do you need to view it using something else?

I think I'm going to get a Treo 600 phone, so I'll have a phone/PDA device. (One less gadget to carry around on airplanes)

Dave,
if you can, ping Deacon. He's got, last I checked, an ipod, valentine, and maybe something else, all hooked up together. He loves that ipod.

Deacon's profile

KBasa said:
Thanks, Gizmo. Did you get the in the ear speakers that Apple sells or did you get them from somebody like Bob Weis the earplug guy?

Do you have an ability to access your address book from the iPod? Or do you need to view it using something else?

I think I'm going to get a Treo 600 phone, so I'll have a phone/PDA device. (One less gadget to carry around on airplanes)

Hi KBasa,

It comes with the Apple ear speakers, but I purchased a pair of custom earplugs/speakers from Arizona Al. I use them in conjunction with my Auto Com which by the way you can run the IPOD through and when I can't be bothered with all that electronic crap, I stick the IPOD in a pocket and plug my custom plugs/speakers directly into the IPOD.

As for the address book no special gadgets needed to view it's contents, you access it just like a playlist (selection of music) by scrolling through a series of menu's. Once there it is there in very readable text.

Good luck with it if you decide to get it.

Dave,

A friend I ride with has one. I played with it last summer and it is on my to Buy list. I waited as I was hoping for some price decreases or capacity increase after Xmas. I heard that the Mini Ipod was coming, as it stands I think I'll go for the 30 GB model. In the meantime, I have been ripping my cd's and also downloaded I tunes for windows. Just make sure you don't allow it to take over all your music files. See some notes at cnet or download.com.

Best

I've got one of the original 5 GB iPods which I plug into my Autocom. I leave it in my tankbag with the remote (which I bought later when they became available) sticking out through the zipper. Works great for the long trek across Kansas.

It syncs up to the Mac address book and calendar apps which is nice but not really a substitute for a full featured handheld computer. There's no stylus to add items.

A great new feature is the ability to download digital photos (with additional hardware). Besides bigger hard drives that's one feature that might tempt me to upgrade.

Michael

Ipod

I have the 15 Gb. Love it. I use Arizonia Al's ear plugs and they work great. i just don't use it in the twisties.

Colt03 said:
Dave,

A friend I ride with has one. I played with it last summer and it is on my to Buy list. I waited as I was hoping for some price decreases or capacity increase after Xmas. I heard that the Mini Ipod was coming, as it stands I think I'll go for the 30 GB model. In the meantime, I have been ripping my cd's and also downloaded I tunes for windows. Just make sure you don't allow it to take over all your music files. See some notes at cnet or download.com.

Best

Hi,

I think the 30GB you are interested in is now 40GB, good for you.

Alternate Use

Me? I use my iPaq with a 512MB SDRam card and a 256SDRam. I go heavy compression as what fidelity will I get through the ear plugs and over the noise. I am not doing critical listening.

Plus I have my address book, calendar, e-mail,.... well you get the idea.

I-Pod,You-Pod, we all....

All kidding aside, I just got mine and love the thing.
It is amazing how much you can put on one as it is a tiny package.
I am in the "discovery" stage as I have it for just a few days but it is a nice thingie to have.
Pictures, music and computer back-up make it versitile.
I did splurge :cry and got the 40 GB Pod but it might be tax deductable if I put my business stuff on it too:bliss .
I looked at the Sony MP3 player but the discs on a bike....:dunno Although it has a radio tuner and the I-Pod doesn't , you can't have it all I guess.
Anywhoo good luck in your quest for tunes!!:p

Thanks, Rider. I was looking at the Apple web site last night and noticed that if I bought the 15G, it doesn't come with a cradle, USB cable or the neat remote controlled headphones. By the time you add all that stuff, you're spending more than the next model up.

Oh man. It made my head hurt, so I went to look for a new office phone. That made my head hurt even worse, if you can believe it.....

I'd do a web search on IPOD battery issues before I bought one.
COSTLY!

iPod

I've got a 30Gb iPod and it is great. The more you play with loading music from your computer the better it gets because you can organize music anyway you like. I sort my music differently than my wife. I use it on long sole rides and she uses it when we ride two up. I've wondered what's the best way to share usage. Any suggestions?:brow

rapz,

If I understand your problem correctly, the easiest way to handle two users would be to create "playlists" for music sorted different ways. Then you or your wife could select the playlist that you want to listen to.

Or you could just buy a second iPod. :brow

Michael

M. Cohen said:
rapz,

If I understand your problem correctly, the easiest way to handle two users would be to create "playlists" for music sorted different ways. Then you or your wife could select the playlist that you want to listen to.

Or you could just buy a second iPod. :brow

Michael

Both methods are correct.

I loaded all my CD's, my wife's CD's, my daughter's CD's into my iPod and still haven't filled it. I use with a Griffin iTrip and feed the signal into the bike's radio which feeds into the Autocom system. I removed the 6 CD changer and gave myself a lot more storage space. :clap

knary said:
Dave,
if you can, ping Deacon. He's got, last I checked, an ipod, valentine, and maybe something else, all hooked up together. He loves that ipod.

Deacon's profile

The xma3 v2 from tesseract mobile electronics does this, 1 stereo in, 2 mono in (radar,gps, phone IF you wired a separate mic into the line.) I just ordered one last week, I'll let you know how it works. They bill it as an "audiophile" quality solution and talking with Todd, I believe them. More later.

Kbasa- The pic functionality of the Ipod makes it a real winner, but after a couple of years of using a sony MD player on the bikes, I really LOVE my XM radio. If you're looking for a strictly music, news, and WEATHER solution, it can't be beat. I don't know if the special is still on, but I got a free home kit with mine. I don't even listen to CDs anymore.

Back