• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

97-GS sidestand wiring

T

Tbdomenz

just bought me a 97-GS and being used to the 1150RT wiring interlocks and starting permisives I don't understand the GS wiring. It will only run-start if the side stand is up!
1- Is this normal? 2- Is there a fix that allows starting while the side stand is down?
The 1150Rt allows starting with sidestand down but as soon as a gear is selected the motor is shut down to prevent riding with sidestand down.
Thanks for all input to this interesting little puzzle.

Yep. That's normal. Tina's RS won't start with the sidestand down and it's a huge pain in the butt. I'm not sure what year they changed that, but my 99 S will start on the sidestand.

Kbasa
There must be a fix. I don't like the idea of a jumper around the switch. Don't want to pieroette? on the sidestand, eh? Where could I obtain wiring diagrams? Think the dealer would know something? I'll give him a try.

There was a story of a CHP officer that had bypassed the switch, ridden off with his sidestand down and managed to crash and injure himself.

I dunno. I usually get on it and start it before I put my gloves on.

dave

If they can do ABS....

I wish they'd design it so start is enabled on:
{{sidestand down} AND {trans neutral}} OR {{sidestand up} AND {clutch disengaged}}.
As for the first condition; I don't think it would be too difficult to wire in a small relay, driven by the neutral light switch. Relays' N.O. contacts wired to bridge the sidestand switch. Just put the stand up before leaving neutral. I'd have to do some homework for the second one.

Re: If they can do ABS....

CustomSarge said:
I wish they'd design it so start is enabled on:
{{sidestand down} AND {trans neutral}} OR {{sidestand up} AND {clutch disengaged}}.
As for the first condition; I don't think it would be too difficult to wire in a small relay, driven by the neutral light switch. Relays' N.O. contacts wired to bridge the sidestand switch. Just put the stand up before leaving neutral. I'd have to do some homework for the second one.

That's exactly how my S works, as well as Tina's Roadster.

I'm missing something here. I thought I read "Tina's RS won't start with the sidestand down". I deal mostly with 7+ year older machines, so I don't see what may now be a moot point. Apologies, be that the case.

Dumb question... Tina has both a Roadster and an RS? Begs question of year & perhaps the starter lockout is now consistant.

No prob, Sarge.

Her RS is a 94 and her R is an 02. They changed the sidestand logic somewhere along the way between (I'm guessing) 99 and 94. My 99 S will start with the sidestand down, but it came without a centerstand originally.

I'm doing my best to snatch that RS away from her. She wants the VFR in trade. We'll see. :evil

I just wonder if a database of stock/alternate answers would generate enough interest to populate with data. A simple spreadsheet of "you have this" and "want this" with links to diagrams, schematics & (maybe) parts sources might work. I'm capable of deriving most requirements, but would not pursue it without sufficient interest. It goes to the heart of BMW riders: risk vs benefit. Most won't change what they can't buy as a warranted product. This isn't bad or good; it illustrates the consumers' risk profile.

YeeHa :) THAT"S IT! You Da Man! muchas gracias.
Now what if I wanted to get wiring diagrams so I could see how and where all the electrons flowed? Where is this info avail? Factory Manuals? Anywhere else?

Back