Thread: Looking For Autumn Along the Peak to Peak Highway

On a Ride

Looking For Autumn Along the Peak to Peak Highway

This is a Scenic Byway in Colorado some of you may be familiar with. It departs south out of Estes Park at Rocky Mountain National Park, running parallel to spurs of the Continental Divide.

Decided yesterday to see how it looked before more forecasted snow would fall last night. Autumn has mostly left the stage up high but maybe I'd find places where it still had some lines to deliver.

Pausing about five miles north of Nederland. 2-3 weeks ago the Aspen here would have been a stunning gold. The Indian Peaks peer over the ridge...

OK, going further north the RT pauses above Peaceful Valley. Can see a smattering of gold here and there, also a few trees that have let go of their gold coins. That's Sawtooth Peak in the distance. Once descended this road at a merry old speed on a January 1st, marveling in the cold but dry conditions, and was greeted with sheets of ice in the shade on the road. Yikes! Smooooothly slowed down, but still remember the pucker moment!

Near Allenspark there's a pause at the sentinel of Rocky Mountain National Park... 14,256ft. Long's Peak. The knob just to the front of it is Mt. Meeker.... upper right of the pic. Still, only a hint of autumn's presence remains. Still searching...

Success! I fly pass a curve and dip in the road, look to the left, and behold... autumn colors at Wild Basin in the southern part of RMNP. A U-turn is made...

So just a focus on the beauty of autumn, the beauty of seasons. As I'm parked taking pics, others pass by wondering what I'm taking pics of and soon others are turning around, parking along the road, taking IMGs as well. It's a pretty place, delivered by the RT.
    Last edited by sfarson; 10-08-2007 at 02:57 PM.

buckeyeclark
    My wife and I have spent a good deal of time in the Rocky Mountain Natl Park area...we actually got married in Lower Beaver Meadow. You are right it is absolutely beautiful!
    Just wanted to say thanks for the pics.....got my day off to a better start!
    When I close my eyes and go to my "happy place" Colorado is where I am.....

Peak to Peak

Thanks, Steve. Nice to have a nice warm RT to ride at this time of year.

Our snowline has worked down to about the 6,000 foot level now.

Rinty

I see a photo of the week or two or three in there.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Thanks, Steve. Nice to have a nice warm RT to ride at this time of year.

Our snowline has worked down to about the 6,000 foot level now.

Rinty
    Yes it is! And I've become a believer in heated seats. Never thought I'd have much use for it since my rear seems rather toasty anyway most days in the saddle , but when trying it out last winter on a 28 degree day.... Ahhhhh!

REBECCAV
    Those Aspens turn a great color! Nice pictures.

Are the last two pictures the same scene with different lenses?

On a Ride
    The second image I looked down and changed the focus to capture the creek, but the lens are unchanged.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeClark View Post
    My wife and I have spent a good deal of time in the Rocky Mountain Natl Park area...we actually got married in Lower Beaver Meadow. You are right it is absolutely beautiful!
    Just wanted to say thanks for the pics.....got my day off to a better start!
    When I close my eyes and go to my "happy place" Colorado is where I am.....
    BuckeyeClark... Thx, You were married in a very beautiful place. Last summer I rode Trail Ridge through the park and had not done so for years prior. I was moved by and reminded what a jewel this park is. In case interest, turned on the video camera on the ride through the park... A Ride Through Rocky Mountain National Park - Streaming Video

darcym
    Beautiful pictures! I also enjoyed the video, very well done and some obvious effort put into editing. Well done!

BobbieZ
    Super great photos, super nice bike. I hail from Carbondale (no stranger to scenic views) and your's are the best.

ian408
    The Peak-to-Peak is truly one of the great highways.

Thanks for sharing your shots.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbieZ View Post
    Super great photos, super nice bike. I hail from Carbondale (no stranger to scenic views) and your's are the best.
    Thanks all, and BobbieZ... yes that is a scenic place! Mt. Sopris always has me gazing at it when passing.

Unavailable for comment

Very nice

Thanks for posting those photos. And the heated seat sounds great. See any wildlife while you're riding along? I suppose a lot of deer and elk movement this time of year.

Regards,

Randy Kasal