• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Joy Ride

R

REBECCAV

Inspired by the Photo Assignment threads, I set out earlier today to have a relaxed day- ride and combine it with some picture taking.

It sounds easy, but the last time I rode my bike was home from the IBR and I have been in time-management and efficiency mode for so long (like, years) that I didn't know if I COULD stop and take pictures anymore.

But it turns out, I can.

My first picture is where a lot of my rides (both big and small) start - where Kenwood Blvd. turns into Lake Drive in Milwaukee. It's a beautiful turn with a great view of the lake as you go down the hill.
204816230-M.jpg

Further up Lake Drive is the gorgeous Villa Terrace. It used to be a private residence but is now a Decorative Arts Museum. They also rent it out for weddings.
204816509-M.jpg

The vertical thing in the center of the frame that looks like stairs is a waterfall:
204816653-M.jpg

Further south on Lake Drive is what they are calling Pier Wisconsin. It has Discovery World, Pieces of Eight restaurant, the Milwaukee Art Museum and (I think) the schooner Dennis Sullivan which was built from scratch and launched in Milwaukee. The schooner was sailing so no pics.

I parked the bike in the middle of everything:
204816786-M.jpg

This is Discovery World:
204816965-M.jpg

This is the Milwaukee Art Museum (on right with condos in the distance):
204816831-M.jpg

I was so proud of myself that I actually got off of my bike, walked around and took pictures. Keep in mind that the whole time I rode the IBR (10K miles in 11ish days) I only took ONE picture of a sunset in NM.

When I started walking back to my bike, there was a guy by it. Now, lots of people check out my bike in passing because it has three sets of lights and a fuel cell, but this guy was staying put and not moving on.

I said hello to him as I walked up and he said some stuff that I didn't hear because I still had my earplugs in. :) I did catch that he had an R80 and he asked if I was an MOA member. I told him that I am and I asked him if he is an MOA Forum member.

It turns out that he is, and his username is Miltown. How cool is that?? GREAT to meet you Miltown!! Hey everybody - Miltown is having trouble with his airhead pinging and I told him that you all could help him out. Keep an eye out for his thread, mkay??
204817120-M.jpg

The Milwaukee Art Museum is the only Santiago Calatrava designed building in the United States. At night or in strong winds, the 'wings' are closed. This is the wings open:
204817322-M.jpg

Once a day they close then open the wings for us tourists. This is the wings closing:
204817554-M.jpg

Closed:
204817686-M.jpg

Then open again - kinda cool. It's even more stunning inside - I'll save that for another day.
204817838-M.jpg

I love this bike. It's been good to me. 140K+ miles (not all mine).
204817436-M.jpg

204818193-M.jpg

Up the hill from the Calatrava wing is the War Memorial (designed by Aero Saarinen) and a statue of Lincoln that I have always liked:
204818611-M.jpg

Around the corner from Lincoln is the Mark di Suvero "Sunburst" sculpture at the eastern end of Milwaukee's main street - Wisconsin Avenue. There was huge controversy when the Calatrava wing was built and many people thought that the Sunburst should move because it would interfere with the Calatrava.

This is looking east from eastern-most WI Ave. You can see the Calatrava structure in the background fully extended:
204819085-M.jpg

This is looking west down WI Ave. I am glad they kept the Sunburst. I like it. Years ago I knew one of di Suvero's assistants and I got to stay at the di Suvero compound in Brooklyn for a few days and meet the artist and see some of his works in progress.
204819144-M.jpg

All this picture-taking was exhausting and I was ready to get on the freeway for about an hour and relax on my way up to see my friend Amy who was babysitting her niece and nephew in Kiel, WI.

But first, I stopped at the high school by my house - they were having a fundraiser and washing cars and selling refreshments.
204820038-M.jpg

Then the RAM mount for my GPS came loose and I stopped to tighten it by this little art fair and had to take a picture:
204820121-M.jpg

You don't have to drive far out of Milwaukee to be in rural areas. This is a beautiful pumpkin farm from the road:
204820434-M.jpg

And this is what I got when I actually got off of my bike and walked down there:
204821004-M.jpg

These shots were on the way back up:
204821089-M.jpg

204821155-M.jpg

When I joined Amy at her brother's house, the baby was asleep.
204821225-M.jpg

And these two were playing video games on a gorgeous fall day. I asked them why they weren't outside and they said that 'Outside is for squares.' :ha
204821499-M.jpg

The baby woke up eventually and wasn't quite sure what to make of me. :)
204822344-M.jpg

I had a really good day putzing around, riding and taking pictures. I took this last one of the Milwaukee River about a mile and a half from my house as the sun was going down. Thanks for letting me share my ride and pictures.
204822921-M.jpg

Grumpy baby

Nice pictures. Looks like you had a heck of a day. Nice bike, too, by the way.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

My sister finished her academic doctorate in Madison, and I've really enjoyed the few times I was there, but I've always been traveling too fast to properly explore the state. It's so nice to see and get a feel for a new-to-me Wisconsin city.
Thank you!
The disgruntled baby, and I'm not a baby pic kind of guy, was actually cute. If I could give it a caption though, I'd be something along the lines of "What do you mean?! Whats a light socket have to do with my hair and why you lookin' at me?!"

Well Done

I remember when hanging out inside was for squares. The only constant is change.

Your beautiful shots inspire me to post pictures from this weeks adventures in Vermont and the Adirondacks.

Thanks for sharing.

I remember when hanging out inside was for squares. The only constant is change.

Your beautiful shots inspire me to post pictures from this weeks adventures in Vermont and the Adirondacks.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank YOU Paul and everyone. Yes jgr, I rarely take time to stop and smell the roses - especially not in my backyard - and it was a really good thing.

Plus, I am really trying to work on taking better pictures and yesterday was a good exercise for that too. I'm open to feedback and you can see the rest of the pictures at this link:
http://rebeccavaughn.smugmug.com/gallery/3601565#204816111

I'm in the same boat as I'm sure many others are.. We constantly ride, always carry our cameras, go to interesting and photo friendly beautiful places, but almost never take the time to get our cameras out which of course we always carry.

This thread is a great reminder to slow down and see what you are seeing. I've been inspired. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the ride. Feedback... loved the distance shot of your bike, silo..ete ? (how do you spell cil-o-et) Framed by green hillside and blue sky and clouds.. liked it! and of course sunset on the river.

Do more... thanks, Carter

Thanks, BG. The pictures are great. But the best lesson is learning to stop to enjoy what we're seeing. And that's definitely easier to do when you ride alone! :wave

Hear! Hear! Beautiful pics. Especially enjoy the colors, the shapes, the people pics. I guess that's about every pic! Ha! The baby one is precious.

Medicinal boxergrrlie! I rode all day Saturday and most of Sunday, cameras, filters, tripod in tow and didn't stop once to take a shot despite seeing untold opportunities.

Is the Santiago Calatrava-designed building what is known as the Quadracci Pavilion? I haven't been to Milwaukee since it was built, but I used to visit often when working with Quad Graphics and became acquainted with Harry Quadracci, his wife Betty and numerous other fine and friendly folks in Wisconsin.

Very nice images! Thanks for sharing the pics and the motive. :wave

so what was your average speed for the ride? we all know you tracked it and compared it to what you normally do for IB stuff...

;)

so what was your average speed for the ride? we all know you tracked it and compared it to what you normally do for IB stuff...

;)
Did NOT!! :rofl

It was hard enough not tracking and better that I didn't. If I would have actually kept track I think that I would have broken out in a cold sweat to see my overall average so completely in the toilet!!

[SNIP]Plus, I am really trying to work on taking better pictures and yesterday was a good exercise for that too. I'm open to feedback. . . .[/SNIP]

I'll give you some feedback:

You're an interesting woman, ever more so as I get to know you better through this forum.

You are culturally literate and a good writer.

You exude a sense of camaraderie and show both care and concern for your club-mates.

You're funny and you like babies and you like to ride motorcycles and you take good pictures.

How's that for some feedback?

Thanks for an especially cool ride report and some very nice pictures. :wave

Back