• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200R- Front Axle Tool, Help!

C

ChiTown

I'm looking to buy the tool needed ( socket-nut thing) to remove the front axle off my R1200R. I've been looking with no success, and thought I'd ask the experts.....
Where can I get this tool, and what is it called?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Thanks for the fast replies.

As I move forward doing my own maintenance, and try to not be dependent on $$$ dealer labor costs, I'm also looking to purchase a wheel balancer to use at home.
Has anyone used this product?
Any other suggestions?
I don't have space for a big machine, nor do I have the budget for an expensive one. Is it possible to do this at home, on a budget?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm#BG12

I'm looking to buy the tool needed ( socket-nut thing) to remove the front axle off my R1200R. I've been looking with no success, and thought I'd ask the experts.....
Where can I get this tool, and what is it called?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

BMW has a 22mm hex piece of iron in their shop tools available. Also the Craftsman 13/16 sparkplug socket which has a 7/8 male hex on the end of it fits perfectly. You can put a 3/8 drive into it from the sparkplug side and insert the hex end in the axle. You may have one of these in your tool box.

All of the above is correct.

The internal size of that axle hex is 22 mm, by the way - so any 22mm male hex you have the ability to turn will work.

22mm = .866 inches and the 7/8 cjack references is .875 inch = close enough!

R1200 axle tool

The '05 R1200GS came with an inexpensive combination axle/sparkplug tool. You could check with your dealer.

I unfortunately have an '06. I bought a nut with a 22mm outside diameter and a matching bolt from a local industrial fastener supply store and used JB weld to permanently (so far) mate them. I carry a 22mm socket as part of my tool kit to use my homemade axle tool. Check here for additional ideas. http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html This guy used a similar approach but had access to welding equipment.

Last edited:
I have Marc Parnes work of art, as well as the head of a 13/16" spark plug socket I cut off. There are lots of ways to make it work.

I also have the Marc Parnes Balancer, which is top notch stuff.

Jim :brow

I found a bolt in my scrap with the correct head. My intention was to weld a nut on the other end. Then I misplaced the bolt. I will find it...before I need it.

I think there may be a couple of lessons, here.

Gary

I use the Marc Parner Wheel Balancing Rig -- works great!

I also purchased Marc's sparkplug coil puller.

And, I have the MotionPro axel tool -- which you can buy retail at most sportbike shops, like cyclegear.com

The old airhead/K-bike spark plug wrench works GREAT!!! We used this at the BMW shop I work at until we got the REAL BMW tool.

Try this. Buy 1 bolt and 2 22mm nuts screw the nuts onto the bolt and jamb them. The nuts will fit into the axle and you can use a socket on the bolt head to remove the axle. I spot welded the nuts to the bolt on mine but it will work without doing this. Cost about 68 cents.

Try this. Buy 1 bolt and 2 22mm nuts screw the nuts onto the bolt and jamb them. The nuts will fit into the axle and you can use a socket on the bolt head to remove the axle. I spot welded the nuts to the bolt on mine but it will work without doing this. Cost about 68 cents.

Red Loctite is your friend in this application. The nuts won't move!!

Spent almost half a day wandering around Yuma trying to find a hex tool to remove the front axle on the GSA. No luck. The part number supplied for this tool in the owners manual does not register on any of the dealer web site parts department I checked. Put everything back together and pouted the rest of the day.

Checking the parts web sites later, looking for tool kit information, found one site that was a little different than most. There it was, and my memory was awakened. Showed a tool kit with the spark plug tool, and bingo. I went back out to the garage and found the tool kit off the 03 GT, opened it up, took the spark plug tool and lug wrench, and it fit perfectly. Wasted an entire day and had something that would work all along.

Started at 8 am and finally had a workable tool at 10 pm. Not too happy with the extensive tool kit BMW supplied with the bike.

You can check www.R1200GS.info and find a tool that is available for purchase.

bob still

Mine works pretty good. Wrench on the inner nut to loosen, outer nut to tighten. $2 total for mine.

Attachments

• Axle Wrench.jpg
    Axle Wrench.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 64
Man, how I love simple genius. I got as far as a bolt and one nut, but was going to resort to the welder. Not no more.

Mine works pretty good. Wrench on the inner nut to loosen, outer nut to tighten. $2 total for mine.

Those of us who are "purists" that have to have the special tool just right, would have threaded the first nut all the way on the threads until stopped. Then threaded the second nut all the way tight against it until the flats lined up. Then hacksawed the bolt off flush with the nut - all after slathering well with Loctite. :)

Those of us who are "purists" that have to have the special tool just right, would have threaded the first nut all the way on the threads until stopped. Then threaded the second nut all the way tight against it until the flats lined up. Then hacksawed the bolt off flush with the nut - all after slathering well with Loctite. :)
Thats just what I did but used the welder to spotweld the nuts instead of loctite.

Back