• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/06/07

I saw many opportunities while riding to capture a shot related to this theme, but I just wasn't in the mood "to stop and smell the roses" this weekend. :bluduh

:violin

You meet the nicest people on a BMW. Met Jim and Linda Melanson of Latham, New York at the big tent sale Orvis holds in Manchester, Vermont.

IMG_0543c.jpg

Here is my submission.

I don't particularly want to explain why it says Blue to me. Does anyone feel like an explanation is important to viewing the photo?

No. I don't think so. How it makes me feel is what it is. That would be even more of what it is to me in B&W.
But it is interesting, too, how it makes the artist feel. That's something else and it might give me a different view.

boxergrrlie

I don't particularly want to explain why it says Blue to me. Does anyone feel like an explanation is important to viewing the photo?

Marshall McLuhan:

"The Medium is the Message"

Boxergrrlie's original question has led to some really interesting discussion. . . . Great thought and arguments all the way around.

:lurk

Blue

The inspiration for these two shots came from washing the car, or to be honest, not washing the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 128
Blue Too

When I shoot something I almost always see several more shots, here is the last one. These two shots were taken in my driveway. A work light served as the light source and a piece of white cardboard pulled from the trash was my reflector.

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpg
    IMG_2031.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
so it decided to snow on Saturday coming down Independence Pass...

Got Blue Fingers from taking too many photos in an aspen grove...
fogtreesolor.jpg

TinCup, Colorado Town Hall....

was stormy in Aspen area just 35 miles north over the the mountains... but everwhere else it sas just windy and cold but clear....
TinCupHall1.jpg

all images shot with nikon D70 28-70 mm lens with an f11 appature...

the John Sexton Aspen Grove on Independance pass

3 second exposure time on a tripod

lazerindy2.jpg

Building

Blue sky day.
Building a treehouse with Dad.
Hammer. Nail.
Blue boy.
Black and blue thumb.

Voni
sMiling

Voni: I like the intimate, comforting moment you captured between Dad and Son. The outdoors setting, the hammer and boxes of nails (I think) seem to tell the story of building something together. I also like the tilt of the camera; it tells me something is not quite right.

What I suggest as a second shot (as if this scene could ever be set up again) would be to move the camera to the right or just turn to the right and move in or zoom in just a little closer, keeping the items on the far left side of the photo out of the frame and seeing all of the hammer, but still keeping Son and Dad as the center of interest. A little flash fill would bring out more detail and you would see more of the expressions of the two subjects, but by adding flash to this scene it might ruin a real special mood. Good shot.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 169
TinCup, Colorado Town Hall....

was stormy in Aspen area just 35 miles north over the the mountains... but everwhere else it sas just windy and cold but clear....
TinCupHall1.jpg

all images shot with nikon D70 28-70 mm lens with an f11 appature...
I really love this shot by OUTBACKUFO. It is so simple and elegant. The clouds reflected in the windows are delightful.

There are some really great pictures this week and beerteam hasn't even weighed in yet!! :)

RE Captions/Photo descriptions: I think that some photos need captions. For me, I need captions in magazine or news photos because often there is so much behind the photo that I need to know to appreciate it. Those sort of pictures leave me with so many more questions than answers.

However, in this context, I would rather have the image stand on it's own and have it be judged on it's own merits. I think that a viewer brings so much of himself to a photograph and sees it through the lens of his or her own experience and that is part of the process for me. If I told you what I was thinking or feeling when I made the image in some ways I think that it would detract from it.

Gray Day, Blue Sweats, Home Cooking

Other obligations hampered this week’s project for me, but we did manage to grab some candid snap-shots. No award winners, just snippets of daily life:

DSC01061.JPG

Last edited:
I really love this shot by OUTBACKUFO. It is so simple and elegant. The clouds reflected in the windows are delightful.

There are some really great pictures this week and beerteam hasn't even weighed in yet!! :)

RE Captions/Photo descriptions: I think that some photos need captions. For me, I need captions in magazine or news photos because often there is so much behind the photo that I need to know to appreciate it. Those sort of pictures leave me with so many more questions than answers.

However, in this context, I would rather have the image stand on it's own and have it be judged on it's own merits. I think that a viewer brings so much of himself to a photograph and sees it through the lens of his or her own experience and that is part of the process for me. If I told you what I was thinking or feeling when I made the image in some ways I think that it would detract from it.

boxergrrlie makes some very good points. I'm usually not thinking of anything other than trying to get the shot when I take a photo. And I certainly don't expect others to see what I see. Heck, when I see the finished shot it's always different from what I see in the viewfinder anyway. Maybe that shows my lack of expertise with a camera, but that's my experience.

I especially like reading the comments from others on the photos. For example I really liked this shot as well, but didn't even notice the clouds until she pointed them out. Now I like it even more.
TinCupHall1.jpg

Lamp and shadow

This lantern was sitting on a ledge next to the stairs running downstairs. There was a little light from an open doorway at the top (exercise area) and the only other light (now) was from a bare bulb (probably 60watt incandescent).[/QUOTE]

Hi Josh, good eye, this photo has lots of appeal. The curve of the glass chimney, the long shadow on the wall, the small splash of blue reflection and the hard cold stone the lamp is sitting on all help to illustrate the story you told. What might make this an even stronger image would be to shoot horizontal and get closer to the lamp and shadow. By eliminating some of the blank space on the top and bottom and emphasizing the shadow you would create even more mood in an already good shot.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 126
Bluebird

Hi Dave, IÔÇÖm one of those people who really appreciates motion (blur) in a photo, it can add an extra dimension of life to a scene. Motion in a photograph is also one of those things thatÔÇÖs very subjective.

YouÔÇÖve captured this birdÔÇÖs energy, speed and agility. The background is perfectly out of focus and has great color and texture while youÔÇÖve kept the center of interest in the right-hand third of the frame. As a suggestion on composition I would try to be a bit closer or, if you can, use a slightly longer lens.

In reading between your lines I sense that you would have liked this image to be sharper, if you have a digital SLR you might try bumping up your ISO setting to get more stop action capability. The downside to raising the cameras ISO settings is getting more noise in the image. Or. try using a slower shutter speed for even more blur.

Many wildlife photogs spend big money on long and fast lenses. They also spend a great deal of time studying the habits of their subjects and then more time waiting for ÔÇ£the shot.ÔÇØ I really admire the determination and perseverance of that breed of photographers. Thanks for posting the photo.

Attachments

• 205058746-L.jpg
    205058746-L.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 118
Blue Lick Road

Hi John, IÔÇÖll choose this one to comment on just because I enjoy ridding roads like this. I like the light filtering through the trees and the overall feel of a great day of ridding on a beautiful country back-road. The exposure is right on, the color is subtle but saturated and the horizon is on the bottom third of the image. And, you stopped to take the time to shoot this, good job.

Option one would be to climb the bank of the road just to the left of the image and get a higher camera angle having the road sweep from the upper left to the lower right giving you a read dynamic line running through the photo. Option two would be to climb the bank further down the road and have the curve in the road wind through the shot. Hopefully the scenery around the bend in the road is as beautiful as it is presented here. Thanks for posting the photos.

Attachments

• DSC00987.jpg
    DSC00987.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 123

I had a nice 24 hour, 400 mile and almost 400 click (lots of editing) Autumn ride on Wisconsin back roads. The ride went to two cool Wisconsin events, the Airhead Rally at Wildcat Mountain and the Slimey Crud Run.

Tonight I will try to figure out which of the 49 keeper photos to post. All photo are to the theme "blue" as I was riding my blue Airhead GS and had blue skies all the ride.

Blue Photos

Back