• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/06/07

S

SNC1923

Time for another photo challenge. Last week's assignment yielded another crop of great photos. If you are reading this, please consider submitting a photo. The more the merrier. We welcome you to join us.

To forestall chaos, we humbly offer these simple rules:

• Photos must be shot this weekend: Fri, Sat, or Sun.
  • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
  • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
  • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
  • Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo.
  • Post your photos in this thread only. Do not start a thread in reply to this assignment. Please post your photos no later than next Wednesday.
  • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

This week's theme: "Blue."

Blue can be a color, a state of mind, a musical genre, a political affiliation, a mood, and many other states of being. As with the others, let this theme speak to you, and offer us your photographic interpretation of blue.

Now get out there and take some pictures.

This week's theme: "Blue."

Blue can be a color, a state of mind, a musical genre, a political affiliation, a mood, and many other states of being. As with the others, let this theme speak to you, and offer us your photographic interpretation of blue.

Now get out there and take some pictures.

Cool theme! This should provide numerous opportunities for each of us to play a little more creatively. Thanks again for overseeing this.

Blue, huh. :scratch

:wave

Cool theme! This should provide numerous opportunities for each of us to play a little more creatively. Thanks again for overseeing this.

Blue, huh. :scratch

:wave

Again, you are very welcome. I should also thank Kbasa, whose very bright idea it was to start this thread. There are several others behind the scenes that have helped to get it rolling, too. Boxergrrlie has offered commentary, as has Bluestune. I'm sure others will chime in eventually.

Blue. Yes, blue. :banghead

Last edited:
Blue sky day.
Building a treehouse with Dad.
Hammer. Nail.
Blue boy.
Black and blue thumb.

Voni
sMiling

Attachments

• 2007_1005Boys0101.JPG
    2007_1005Boys0101.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 375
My photo also comes from the Carbon County Prison. Statdawg already laid down the historical details in his posting. I found this on a stairway leading down to the "dungeon". It's the basement of the jail, and the place they sent inmates who caused trouble. It's all stone and concrete, there are no windows; the only light these prisoners would see while down there came from the jailers lantern. Generally a stay lasted two weeks. One cell had a toilet; the rest had nothing. They were given a bucket at the start and it would only be changed out once it was full. The entrances of the cells were small, requiring prisoners to duck while entering. They were designed by a very religious Quaker man, who wanted them to "bow to God" each time they entered their cells.

This lantern was sitting on a ledge next to the stairs running downstairs. There was a little light from an open doorway at the top (exercise area) and the only other light (now) was from a bare bulb (probably 60watt incandescent).

Attachments

• blue-lantern.jpg
    blue-lantern.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 325
Hmm.. Most of these themes I've drawn a blank on. Blue was going to be simple, except I'm out in the country this weekend and not near the city. Blue could have been the Maple Leafs, or the Toronto Argo's. A self portrait even to match my mood for the weekend, but instead I decided to try and capture birds. Blue Jays specifically. We have quite a group of them up here and they LOVE their peanuts. So, a liberal sprinkling of peanuts on the railing on the deck and sit back and try to photograph them.

This is my favourite. The light was low this morning and the lens I have with me doesn't let as much light in as I would like, but you work with what you brought. I wanted to catch them either as they we landing or taking off.

Be kind...

205058746-L.jpg

Much better than I did. Searched the Adirondacks in NY and the Green Mountains in Vermont. But - totally shut out - skunked!

You could say I'm blue. :violin

October in California

http://jack-the-cat.smugmug.com/gallery/3502894/2#205244326

Went for breakfast at Tip Top Deli, a wonderful German deli / bakery in Carlsbad this morning. Since we were so close to the ocean went down and took a few photos with my handy Canon P&S.

The ocean and sky are blue but the pounding surf gives a Southern California feeling of both power and calm. It made me smile and I hope you do also when you see it.

This set the tone for the days ride.

Bluer than Blue

BLUER THAN BLUE

A blue motorcycle, on Blue Lick Road, S of Blue Lick, OH

Sat, Oct 6th

Couldn't decide what to send...so I am sending another also.

John F
Cincinnati, OH

DSC00987.jpg

Blue Highways

A little William Least Half-Moon, Blue Highways.

State Route 78, in Morgan County, OH. A lot of blue sky, and a shot of a blue highway from over the windshield at a much reduced speed.

This is a great road to ride, it interesected with the famous "555" a few miles from here, the quality of this road and all the sweepers is much better than SR 555.

Why does the photo totally look different when I re-size it? I thougt I resized the other shot, but obviously it did not get resized, even though photo bucket says so. Having fun anyway.

John F
Cincinnati, OH

DSCN0163.jpg

Nothin' But Blue Skies. . . .

Dome over the capitol rotunda in Sacramento California, Friday night. I was attending a conference there and desperately trying to find something to fit the theme. I was determined to not go with color, but found this theme of my own choosing to be a greater challenge than I had expected.

Note to self: avoid nouns.

EXIF embedded, just click on the image.

Last edited:
Hmmm. 30k made today on the '67 R60/2 ... well there is SOME blue here:

Attachments

• odo-30K.jpg
    odo-30K.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 248
Great pictures everyone! I had some trouble with the "Blue" theme too - I just didn't have any 'blue' moments this weekend!! I'll post mine tomorrow.

Lots of great competition here!

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right as it is my first post, so I hope I get it right.

This is our youngest Bouvier, Lena. She's probably pouting because she can't read the ON.

LenaBlue640.jpg

Hey Kevin,

Glad you're joining us. Looks blue to me. Poor Lena. I'll bet she can read. She just can't turn the pages (no opposable thumbs).

Blue

Here is my submission.

I don't particularly want to explain why it says Blue to me. Does anyone feel like an explanation is important to viewing the photo?

205535907-L.jpg

Does anyone feel like an explanation is important to viewing the photo?

Important? Probably not. . . . Most explanations (of any kind, not just these phots) are more important to the speaker than the listener.

I'm OK with them, but I admire those who feel that the picture speaks for itself, which it should--explanation or not. Having said that, "blue" has proven to be the most challenging these so far.

I particularly admire Voni's approach this week. Inspiringly creative. Poor little feller. When I hit my thumb with a hammer, the result is also blue, but that refers the stream of obscenities spewing from my mouth making all sailors and teamsters within earshot blush.

:blush

Back