Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/06/07

Hybrid View

SNC1923

Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/06/07

Time for another photo challenge. Last week's assignment yielded another crop of great photos. If you are reading this, please consider submitting a photo. The more the merrier. We welcome you to join us.

To forestall chaos, we humbly offer these simple rules:

• Photos must be shot this weekend: Fri, Sat, or Sun.
    • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
    • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
    • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
    • Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo.
    • Post your photos in this thread only. Do not start a thread in reply to this assignment. Please post your photos no later than next Wednesday.
    • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

This week's theme: "Blue."

Blue can be a color, a state of mind, a musical genre, a political affiliation, a mood, and many other states of being. As with the others, let this theme speak to you, and offer us your photographic interpretation of blue.

Now get out there and take some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    This week's theme: "Blue."

Blue can be a color, a state of mind, a musical genre, a political affiliation, a mood, and many other states of being. As with the others, let this theme speak to you, and offer us your photographic interpretation of blue.

Now get out there and take some pictures.
    Cool theme! This should provide numerous opportunities for each of us to play a little more creatively. Thanks again for overseeing this.

Blue, huh.

Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    Cool theme! This should provide numerous opportunities for each of us to play a little more creatively. Thanks again for overseeing this.

Blue, huh.

Again, you are very welcome. I should also thank Kbasa, whose very bright idea it was to start this thread. There are several others behind the scenes that have helped to get it rolling, too. Boxergrrlie has offered commentary, as has Bluestune. I'm sure others will chime in eventually.

Blue. Yes, blue.
    Last edited by SNC1923; 10-05-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Blue. Hmmmmm.......

See ya Monday!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Blue sky day.
    Building a treehouse with Dad.
    Hammer. Nail.
    Blue boy.
    Black and blue thumb.

Voni
    sMiling
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

REBECCAV
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Blue sky day.
    Hammer. Nail.
    Blue boy.
    Black and blue thumb.

Voni
    sMiling
    A photo AND a poem. Very nice.

The weekend is here!

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar

Building

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Blue sky day.
    Hammer. Nail.
    Blue boy.
    Black and blue thumb.

Voni
    sMiling
    Voni: I like the intimate, comforting moment you captured between Dad and Son. The outdoors setting, the hammer and boxes of nails (I think) seem to tell the story of building something together. I also like the tilt of the camera; it tells me something is not quite right.

What I suggest as a second shot (as if this scene could ever be set up again) would be to move the camera to the right or just turn to the right and move in or zoom in just a little closer, keeping the items on the far left side of the photo out of the frame and seeing all of the hammer, but still keeping Son and Dad as the center of interest. A little flash fill would bring out more detail and you would see more of the expressions of the two subjects, but by adding flash to this scene it might ruin a real special mood. Good shot.
    1976 R90/6

Hmm.. Most of these themes I've drawn a blank on. Blue was going to be simple, except I'm out in the country this weekend and not near the city. Blue could have been the Maple Leafs, or the Toronto Argo's. A self portrait even to match my mood for the weekend, but instead I decided to try and capture birds. Blue Jays specifically. We have quite a group of them up here and they LOVE their peanuts. So, a liberal sprinkling of peanuts on the railing on the deck and sit back and try to photograph them.

This is my favourite. The light was low this morning and the lens I have with me doesn't let as much light in as I would like, but you work with what you brought. I wanted to catch them either as they we landing or taking off.

Be kind...

Dave...

----------------
    05 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Much better than I did. Searched the Adirondacks in NY and the Green Mountains in Vermont. But - totally shut out - skunked!

You could say I'm blue.

Bluebird

Hi Dave, IÔÇÖm one of those people who really appreciates motion (blur) in a photo, it can add an extra dimension of life to a scene. Motion in a photograph is also one of those things thatÔÇÖs very subjective.

YouÔÇÖve captured this birdÔÇÖs energy, speed and agility. The background is perfectly out of focus and has great color and texture while youÔÇÖve kept the center of interest in the right-hand third of the frame. As a suggestion on composition I would try to be a bit closer or, if you can, use a slightly longer lens.

In reading between your lines I sense that you would have liked this image to be sharper, if you have a digital SLR you might try bumping up your ISO setting to get more stop action capability. The downside to raising the cameras ISO settings is getting more noise in the image. Or. try using a slower shutter speed for even more blur.

Many wildlife photogs spend big money on long and fast lenses. They also spend a great deal of time studying the habits of their subjects and then more time waiting for ÔÇ£the shot.ÔÇØ I really admire the determination and perseverance of that breed of photographers. Thanks for posting the photo.
    1976 R90/6

October in California

http://jack-the-cat.smugmug.com/gall...94/2#205244326

Went for breakfast at Tip Top Deli, a wonderful German deli / bakery in Carlsbad this morning. Since we were so close to the ocean went down and took a few photos with my handy Canon P&S.

The ocean and sky are blue but the pounding surf gives a Southern California feeling of both power and calm. It made me smile and I hope you do also when you see it.

This set the tone for the days ride.
    Dave Mishalof
    Escondido, CA
    Charter Life Member # 28793
    IBA # 43

Bluer than Blue

BLUER THAN BLUE

A blue motorcycle, on Blue Lick Road, S of Blue Lick, OH

Sat, Oct 6th

Couldn't decide what to send...so I am sending another also.

John F
    Cincinnati, OH

Blue Lick Road

Hi John, IÔÇÖll choose this one to comment on just because I enjoy ridding roads like this. I like the light filtering through the trees and the overall feel of a great day of ridding on a beautiful country back-road. The exposure is right on, the color is subtle but saturated and the horizon is on the bottom third of the image. And, you stopped to take the time to shoot this, good job.

Option one would be to climb the bank of the road just to the left of the image and get a higher camera angle having the road sweep from the upper left to the lower right giving you a read dynamic line running through the photo. Option two would be to climb the bank further down the road and have the curve in the road wind through the shot. Hopefully the scenery around the bend in the road is as beautiful as it is presented here. Thanks for posting the photos.
    1976 R90/6

Blue Highways

A little William Least Half-Moon, Blue Highways.

State Route 78, in Morgan County, OH. A lot of blue sky, and a shot of a blue highway from over the windshield at a much reduced speed.

This is a great road to ride, it interesected with the famous "555" a few miles from here, the quality of this road and all the sweepers is much better than SR 555.

Why does the photo totally look different when I re-size it? I thougt I resized the other shot, but obviously it did not get resized, even though photo bucket says so. Having fun anyway.

John F
    Cincinnati, OH

SNC1923

Nothin' But Blue Skies. . . .

Dome over the capitol rotunda in Sacramento California, Friday night. I was attending a conference there and desperately trying to find something to fit the theme. I was determined to not go with color, but found this theme of my own choosing to be a greater challenge than I had expected.

Note to self: avoid nouns.

EXIF embedded, just click on the image.
    Last edited by SNC1923; 10-08-2007 at 01:38 AM.