• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leap Year Ride

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
040229.jpg

Today was a warm enough day to go for a nice long ride. 150 Miles at 50 Miles an hour on average.

Got the ultimate wave from a Semi truck, just happened to be one of the Harley Fleet. A wave and honk from across the road.

I have found the drawback from hydrating tooooooo much. A few more stops than I had planned.:eek

Always with the questions...

How else am I gonna learn nothin'?
Mr. B Squared - What is "the ultimate wave"?
One with money? One with booze? One with exposed flesh?

(Tom Tom Club rocks - have you heard the one they put out last year???)

Ultimate Wave cause

Loud Honk from the airhorn.
Shout and wave out the window about the ears and riding.

Just right place at right time.

Didn't use any electrics.

I have still not wired in the harness to the battery yet. The accessory socket is only rated for 4Amps and this takes at least 6Amps.

Since I was gone most of last week, not a whole lot of time.

Today I decided to ride instead of wire. So I used the high tech layering method.

Didn't do too bad. Had to stop about halfway through and put on a sweatshirt to add a layer.

BradfordBenn said:
Didn't use any electrics.

I have still not wired in the harness to the battery yet. The accessory socket is only rated for 4Amps and this takes at least 6Amps.

Since I was gone most of last week, not a whole lot of time.

Today I decided to ride instead of wire. So I used the high tech layering method.

Didn't do too bad. Had to stop about halfway through and put on a sweatshirt to add a layer.

I know this was already talked about, but is the actual fuse only rated to 4 amps? Someone else probably knows better, but I remember the wiring for the accessory sockets being very simple.

knary said:
I know this was already talked about, but is the actual fuse only rated to 4 amps? Someone else probably knows better, but I remember the wiring for the accessory sockets being very simple.

Yup already talked about and confirmed. Even talked with my local dealer and they were surprised. They are actually going to contact BMW as it will also not work with the BMW 70W electric vest.

Sounds like a good excuse to add a fuse block and reroute the accessory plug wiring.

Couldn't you run a lead straight from the battery to the fuse block and then reroute the wiring for the accessory plugs to the block?

My current plan is to run the harness straight from the battery to one of the two sockets under the seat. That way I have a 10Amp and a 4Amp socket set.

Supposed to be thunderstorming and about freezing tomorrow so I think we can all guess what I will be doing when I get back from the office.

4 Amps?

Most all bike wiring is at least 20 AWG, with a lot of 18 & 16. 18 AWG will take 10 amps, I'd put 7 amps through 20 AWG without a blink. I'd just rate the fuse according to AWG. Ampacities are listed in the NEC (Nat'l Electrical Code) book & other places. I can't see a 4 amp fuse to an accessory point, unless it's just for diagnostic equ power.

Hey, we had one of those, a Leap Year Ride that is. :D

We had some questionable riding surfaces.
2621018-M.jpg

Some no-question-we-shouldn't-be-riding-on-this surfaces (pic snapped after I picked the bike up :rolleyes ).
2621023-M.jpg

Some fast gravel.
2621043-M.jpg

Some formation flying.
2619947-M.jpg

And finally some fast paved swervery.
2621057-M.jpg

About 250 miles in total, and not a bad way to use an extra day. :D

Back