• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 R1150RT -- first impressions

Beautiful bike and nice write up, Jeff. Thanks for posting.

04-left-front-quarter.jpg

Enjoyed your review, Jeff. Since the euro headlight switch from your '03 won't work, do you plan to put some other sort of switch in the headlight circuit? (I've had a euro switch in all my BMWs back to my '75 R90S, and would be disappointed not to be able to put one on a new bike!)

Tim Colburn
Park Forest, IL

Tim,

That is my plan. I have an unused PIAA switch I will connect to the low beam circuit so I can turn the low beam off. I will mount the PIAA switch near my right index finger so it is easy to catch.

Don't know about the taillight, however. If I can't figure that out it may have to stay on.

First of all, that color is dreamy, Jeff. And wow! Talk about a substantial difference in fuel mileage! Especially on a brand new engine. Hmmm, can't say I've heard this mentioned very much with regards to dual plugs - well, at least not to this extent. But then again, I have no complaints about the way my '02 GS runs, so I haven't paid all that much attention to twin plug conversion threads. If I can reasonably expect that much of a fuel mileage boost, though, I'm suddenly very interested. Very handy to have the extra range in a few of the places I ride.

Yo Fish, didn't you mention that you're having your 1150 converted soon? RT or GS? Have fuel mileage improvements been mentioned in the various testimonials that've led to your decision to have the work done?

Arch said:
Yo Fish, didn't you mention that you're having your 1150 converted soon? RT or GS? Have fuel mileage improvements been mentioned in the various testimonials that've led to your decision to have the work done?

Hey Arch,

Yeppers, I'm going for the conversion on the RT. I read one report where a guy claimed to get better mileage, but couldn't quantify it. The horse's mouth at SJBMW said that BMW claims an increase of 10%, while SJBMW's testing indicated a 5% increase. Mileage isn't high on the list of reasons for me to shell out the bucks to get it done, but it would be a nice side-effect. I want to be able to run the LPB and get my 5hp back that was lost with the green plug....and kill the surge, of course.

Probably the reason for the mileage increase is the fact that you don't have to ride around at 4K+ rpm all the time to stay out of the surge band. :bliss

Nice report.

As a long-time K rider, I am addicted to the smoothness and the wide power band of the pre-1200 K bikes. (I am sure the K12 is also smooth, but thus far, I have not sensed any desire to even test ride one).

Anyway, while I have sometimes wished for the handling of the oilhead R suspension system, I could not brook the constant work required to stay in a smooth spot in the engine.

After reading this, I might be tempted to test ride one of these new R's.

Back